Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2017, 07:09 AM   #15

A Hopper has three tuners (16 if a Hopper 3). The Trav'ler, or a ground tripod dish, has three LNBFs (white buttons) that lock onto the three satellites that Dish uses. A dome, any dome has only one LNBF so it locks onto only one satellite at a time. Also, the reflector inside a dome dish is at best 1/4 the side of the Trav'ler/ground tripod dish.

The very nature of a DVR is to record multiple channels, often at once and doing it while watching live TV. With a dome, it is one satellite at a time.

When we started, we have the equivalent of a dome dish and a Dish VIP 622 DVR receiver. In less than a month, we started to use a ground tripod because we wanted to watch different things at the same time and to record things, always on different satellites. Used the ground tripod for 7 years and then got a Trav'ler. Still carry the tripod for the few times we run into tree blockage.

Since we prefer HD channels, we also use the tripod in the East where the HD Locals are on the Dish Easter Arc (EA). The Trav'ler does all the three Western Arc (WA) satellite at once or the EA satellite one at a time. Good tripod and tools make the setup time not much more than the Trav'ler takes to seek.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 08:55 AM   #16

We have three tvs also. Same locations op has them. In two years full time we have discovered we really do not need more than one sat box. it is rare that we both want to watch different shows at the same time.

We set our one box to run the bedroom tv and the outside tv. Those are the two tvs we would use most often. All the tvs can use OTA if we are in an area that we can pick up local channels. If i want it is not to hard to move the sat box to run the living room tv..............but it can not run the bedroom and outside tv at the same time it runs the living room. I just do not move it often because if we are inside watching tv we are gonna lay in the bed which is way more comfortable than the dinette booth or the couch.

The only time there is any problem is when sporting events i want to watch are on......most of the sporting events i watch require sat tv (sports and cable new stations are the only reason i pay for sat tv) I will watch them outside most times. Wife will either find something on ota in the living room or bedroom or pop in a movie she picked up at a local library in the blue ray player or just find something else to do.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bob, welcome back to the RV world.

If you find that you want to upgrade to a real sat dish (like the Traveler SWM), do yourself a favor and check out the RF Mogul. It is a much more sturdy unit that can be had for either DISH or Direct TV and their tech support is outstanding, unlike Winegard. Plus, it is completely field serviceable.....no sending it back to the mothership for rebuilding/repair when something breaks in the roof unit.

RF Mogul vs Winegard - Which Is Right For You? | Mobile TV
Old 08-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

If you find that you want to upgrade to a real sat dish (like the Traveler SWM), do yourself a favor and check out the RF Mogul. It is a much more sturdy unit that can be had for either DISH or Direct TV and their tech support is outstanding, unlike Winegard. Plus, it is completely field serviceable.....no sending it back to the mothership for rebuilding/repair when something breaks in the roof unit.

x 2 on the RF Mogul unit. The only drawback is it cost about $800 more than the Trav'ler.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:19 PM   #19

I was thinking about adding satellite to my RV since I discovered not all RV Parks have cable but after reading the above posts I have no idea of what I need.

I have had Dish Network a home years ago so I thought all I have to do is buy a dish and receiver and all is well but it sounds like it is more complicated then that.

Don't know what I will do now.

SSGCharlie
SSGCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #20
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGCharlie View Post
I was thinking about adding satellite to my RV since I discovered not all RV Parks have cable but after reading the above posts I have no idea of what I need.

I have had Dish Network a home years ago so I thought all I have to do is buy a dish and receiver and all is well but it sounds like it is more complicated then that.

SSGCharlie
Honestly, if my new rig didn't have an in motion dome on the roof, I'd follow what several of these folks have recommended and I'd do a tripod mounted dish... If I were you, I'd investigate that process by reading through some of the earlier posts in this thread.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGCharlie View Post

SSGCharlie
It's only complicated if you want it to be.
If you just want to watch/record one channel at a time the simplest is a dome dish (like Winegard mission/roadtrip/etc) and a receiver (Wally/211z/211k).
If you want to watch 2 channels at the same time then you probably need more complex setups (Hopper/Joeys/Travel'r/external tripod dish)
Old 08-31-2017, 01:22 PM   #22
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

Post coach delivery update:

After chatting with the technician doing the delivery and more especially after reading these posts and exchanging messages with Gary, the bestie and I have decided that the "in motion" aspect of tv watching is of no use to us... When I had the other coaches my kids were younger and now my youngest is 21 and lives on her own....

In chatting with the delivery tech, I learned that Renegade puts a pre wire in the rear roof area of the coach for guys like me that are interested in possibly putting a second dish on the roof.... This was GREAT news, as it now appears I'll replace the dome with an RF Mogul up front and then go to a MobilSat Delivers RVDataSat 840 Satellite Internet for RVers Off the Grid

I know this might be overkill for some of you, but this setup pretty much solves the problem of internet accessibility and tv reception...

All I need to do is throw my wallet at it.....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelsbeach View Post
I know this might be overkill for some of you, but this setup pretty much solves the problem of internet accessibility and tv reception...
Hell no, this RVer is envious. It's a great setup.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote