RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 11:17 PM   #1

Satellite using cable connection on outside of RV

I did a search and have been reading about trying to hook up my Directv portable dish using the cable connection on the outside of the RV. I understand this cable connection cannot be used to pass the signal from the dish without making some changes. I'm trying to understand what exactly I need to change inside on the Winegard power panel inside the RV.

I am hoping the experts here who have been down this road can help me!

Marksha83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 11:42 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some outside cable TV connection can be used, some can't. Depends if it goes through a OTA antenna amplifier or other device that blocks.

On my coach, the cable TV connection works without modification. Suggest you try it first.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #3

I spoke with Winegard yesterday about setting up my winegard G2 and connecting the Sat connection through the outside cable port and they said that if it was wired correctly it should work going through the Winegard Power panel.
I am just waiting for Directv to figure how to suppy me with SD receivers and then give it a try..

Good luck!

George
2005 Country Coach Allure 430
nkgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #4

My outside cable connection definitely goes through the OTA power amplifier. I connected the dish cable directly to the satellite receiver then to the TV by HDMI cable and it worked perfect. Once I plug the satellite cable into the outside cable port I can't get the signal even when the OTA power amp is turned off. I know it's related to the power amp inside but I'm just not sure what to do with the power amp connections inside to get the satellite signal to pass through the power amp.

Thanks for the help so far...
Old 08-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Marksha83, here is a picture using diplexers, the other way would be to use a coax switch before the OTA power switch and add a coax to the sat receiver. With the diplexers you could watch cable TV signals without changing anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diplexer_diagram.jpg
Views:	5436
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	104346  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Marksha83, here is a picture using diplexers, the other way would be to use a coax switch before the OTA power switch and add a coax to the sat receiver. With the diplexers you could watch cable TV signals without changing anything.
Our coach had one coax cable meant for casblke TV. When we bought the cviach the dealer hooked our east receiver up to this and it worked perfectly. However we couldn't get park casble reception. The picture of this set up helped us install the diplexers correctylt and now we are getting everything when we want it. Now we just need to get sat coax to our bedroom TV
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #7

Thank you for the diagram! So if I place a diplexer inside the coach right before the Winegard OTA amplifier and then make a short coax jumper from the diplexer to the coax output that goes through the Winegard amp and comes out the front of the panel.....I can then run a satellite coax from the front of the Winegard panel to my Directv receiver.

Wow....I hope that makes sense.....LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winegard1.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	104349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winegard2.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	104350  

Old 08-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Marksha83, at the OTE Amp/Switch remote the coax going to the outside cable input. Connect that to the input on the diplexer. Run a short cable from the antenna side of the diplexer to the amp/switch where the outside cable was connected. This takes care of the cable TV signal. Run a longer coax from the sat side of the diplexer to the sat receiver. This takes care of the sat signal from the dish.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Marksha83, at the OTE Amp/Switch remote the coax going to the outside cable input. Connect that to the input on the diplexer. Run a short cable from the antenna side of the diplexer to the amp/switch where the outside cable was connected. This takes care of the cable TV signal. Run a longer coax from the sat side of the diplexer to the sat receiver. This takes care of the sat signal from the dish.
Hope this helps.
Thank you Sir! The only thing I am not certain of is if the coax from the outside 'cable in' port runs directly to the Winegard OTA amp panel without being split somewhere else first. The reason I say this is the coach has 3 TV's, one outside, one in the bedroom and the main TV in the galley area.

So it looks like I just need one diplexer but I may have to add another wall plate inside just for the satellite connection to the receiver after I make the connections you stated....
Old 08-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Marksha83 Here is a quick sketch. Usually the other TV's are split off after the OTA amp/switch. You will need two diplexer, they work in pairs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diplexer_diagram 2.jpg
Views:	6772
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	104364  
Old 08-23-2015, 11:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Marksha83 Here is a quick sketch. Usually the other TV's are split off after the OTA amp/switch. You will need two diplexer, they work in pairs.
Thanks Grant....I understand about the splitter after the OTA amp and that makes sense for the other TV's. I guess if I only have one 'cable in' port on the outside of the RV I don't know where I would put the 2nd Diplexer at the bottom of your sketch. I completely grasp the concept of your sketch but actually wiring it is another thing....I will study it and try to figure out a wiring method. Thanks for all the help I appreciate it!
Old 08-23-2015, 11:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Grant couldn't I eliminate the 2nd diplexer if I am only using satellite OR cable but not both at the same time? Am I thinking correctly??
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV004.pdf (107.7 KB, 278 views)
Old 08-23-2015, 12:17 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Satellite using cable connection on outside of RV

The problem is the sat receiver puts power on the line going out to the dish. So anytime the sat receiver is connected with power there is power on the coax going to the outside connector. So the second diplexer is used to isolate the cable TV input from this power. Just mount the second diplexer close to the outside connector then run a short coax from the connector to the duplexer. Your sat cable and cable TV will connect to the diplexer.

Sent from my iPhone
Grant & Pat
2014 Adventurer 35P
2013 Jeep Wangler
Old 08-23-2015, 02:34 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksha83 View Post
Thanks Grant....I understand about the splitter after the OTA amp and that makes sense for the other TV's. I guess if I only have one 'cable in' port on the outside of the RV I don't know where I would put the 2nd Diplexer at the bottom of your sketch. I completely grasp the concept of your sketch but actually wiring it is another thing....I will study it and try to figure out a wiring method. Thanks for all the help I appreciate it!
That one is easy. the 2nd diplexer goes in the compartment where the single outlet is

The second diplexer is only used if you want both cable and SAT at the same time. If you do not forget it but UNPLUG the sat receiver when not using it (in fact unplug the sat receiver before connecting or disconnecting the sat antenna ONLY plug it in when the sat antenna is connected).

But if you want both park cable and Sat at the same time then the 2nd diplexer is EXTERNAL to the RV (the common port goes to the RV's Cable-in jack)

My recommendation however is to not use that cable but install a new RG-6 Cable for the Sat Receiver,, Leave the RV's existing systems alone.

Tags
satellite