Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Secondary Satellite System

I have a TracStar In-Motion dome system on my coach. It operates great, most of the time. However, when we camp in some areas, due to trees I can not get locked onto a signal.

After much reading I decided to purchase a 18" round dual LNBF dish and tripod so that I can "try" to get a signal.

Below is a wiring diagram of the current system.

I am planning to purchase 100' of dual RJ6 cable to run from the 18" dish to a pair of coax connectors I plan to add in my front electrical compartment. The connectors in the electrical compartment are wired to a 3 x 4 multiswitch.

This is my new diagram. Items marked S1 and S2 are A/B switches.

Without changing the dish is this the way you would wire the system?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:07 AM   #2

After more research I found that I will not need the multi-switch.

Here is the final diagram for the installation.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
That should work fine.

joe
Old 10-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Looks good to me. Question though. Are you using the dual LNB to be able to use a second receiver in the bedroom? I have thought about doing the same thing but just using a single LNB and an A/B switch to get reception in trees but still only use the single receiver. We have not had an occasion to watch different shows yet and only use Directv in the MH.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks fairly close to what I recommend, save you are dual tasking the cable from front to bedroom and I don't know what quality it is.

One recommendation.. Split that RG-6 into two (well 4) lengths.

Short length runs down the "A' pillar (Assumes your switches and front receiver are in overheads) to either a ground block (dual) in the basement, Or a dual bulkhead connector, or if you drive a gasser, mine is monuted (Dual ground block) on the brake bell crank bracket.

A for the Dome up Above
B for the Dish down below.

Always hook up and unhook the dish with the switches in the "A" position, switch to B after connecting (Short circuit preventinon) and back to "A" before disconnecting (Same reason)
Old 10-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Looks good to me. Question though. Are you using the dual LNB to be able to use a second receiver in the bedroom? I have thought about doing the same thing but just using a single LNB and an A/B switch to get reception in trees but still only use the single receiver. We have not had an occasion to watch different shows yet and only use Directv in the MH.
Yes, I found dual RG6 cable so I will run a LNB for each receiver.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Looks fairly close to what I recommend, save you are dual tasking the cable from front to bedroom and I don't know what quality it is.

One recommendation.. Split that RG-6 into two (well 4) lengths.

Short length runs down the "A' pillar (Assumes your switches and front receiver are in overheads) to either a ground block (dual) in the basement, Or a dual bulkhead connector, or if you drive a gasser, mine is monuted (Dual ground block) on the brake bell crank bracket.

A for the Dome up Above
B for the Dish down below.

Always hook up and unhook the dish with the switches in the "A" position, switch to B after connecting (Short circuit preventinon) and back to "A" before disconnecting (Same reason)
Yep, I am going to use a dual ground block in a small front compartment where I have other electrial goodies.

I am currently running the same configuration as the drawing minus the A/B switches. The cable to the bedroom does a great job with the diplexers.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Randco, what make/model A/B sw. are you using?
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #9

Perfect Vision High Isolation A/B switches

Tags
satellite