Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #1

SensarPro TV Signal Strength Meter

I have an older coach that has the BOMB and a combination DVD/VHS Sony unit. The Sony unit provides 12v power to my OTA and of course there are separate cables for the CATV and the OTA that go into the BOMB with switches for each TV even though we only have two in the coach.

It appears to me that the SensarPro TV Signal Strength Meter allows both CATV and OTA to plug in while providing the 12v power to the antenna mounted amplifier. Does this unit combine OTA or CATV signals or does it override OTA with CATV when a CATV signal is present? Or is this a manual switched function?

Since the satellite system we are looking at would use the Wally, which only has a HDMI output, I think I can eliminate the BOMB with the use of the SensarPro TV Signal Strength Meter or do I have this wrong?

We currently use a BluRay with a direct HDMI cable to the TV so for that reason the Sony DVD player wouldn't get used. I also have a 5.1 Home Theater amplifier available that I can replace the surround sound portion of the Sony system with so I believe I can get rid of that large unit as well.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
It appears to me that the SensarPro TV Signal Strength Meter allows both CATV and OTA to plug in while providing the 12v power to the antenna mounted amplifier. Does this unit combine OTA or CATV signals or does it override OTA with CATV when a CATV signal is present? Or is this a manual switched function?
vettenuts
The SensarPro must be manually set to "PARK CABLE" when using the cable TV signals provided by a campground coax cable.
(When set to "PARK CABLE" the antenna amp for OTA signals is is OFF).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the information. Some of the reviews I have read indicate that the amplifier works better from the BOMB which I don't understand as I thought that either was only providing power and amplification was done at the antenna itself.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:20 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Your understanding is correct. One thing you can do to help pick up weaker signals is to take advantage of the 2 TV out on the SensorPro and take each output directly to a TV's Antenna In jack and get rid of any and all splitters between the Sensar Pro and the TVs, if you only have 2 TVs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Thanks for the information. Some of the reviews I have read indicate that the amplifier works better from the BOMB which I don't understand as I thought that either was only providing power and amplification was done at the antenna itself.
vettenuts
I don't know about the BOMB, (Box Of Many Buttons), in your coach.... but I do know that there is NO amplifier my BOMB....and that the SensarPro in my coach powers the amplifier up in my Winegard batwing antenna.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:08 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok first it is the BOMB that currently provides 12 volt to the antenna.

Now, the Sensar Pro, like the Winegard Wall plate, gives you your CHOICE of Cable or OTA.. there are 3 buttons, Up, Down, and Select.. The Select button is the one I will address here.
First tap the dials light up,, IF, that is it is in the ON mode.. after half a minute or so they display goes dark, and remains that way till a button is pushed.

Push the SELECT button and the LED's move from Scan, to seek to Channel, to Gain To Volume to OFF. In the OFF mode all the lights go off, and CABLE is selected... Tap it again and it's back on and in SEARCH mode.

Since you have the BOMB, and since this device is designed to be "inserted" in the line between the BOMB and the Rooftop antenna. (Not all boosters are), you simply do not use the CABLE port on the Sensar Pro

You select Cable using the BOMB as you always have. Works the same way. it always did save for you need to turn the Sensar PRO on (if it is not already on) to scan, peak and use the rooftop antenna.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #7

I am actually trying to remove the BOMB, so it sounds like the Sensar Pro will power the antenna and provide a means of using either CATV or OTA leaving only BluRay and future satellite upgrades. Since these are HDMI, I think this will work.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
vettenuts
I don't know about the BOMB, (Box Of Many Buttons), in your coach.... but I do know that there is NO amplifier my BOMB....and that the SensarPro in my coach powers the amplifier up in my Winegard batwing antenna.

Sorry, my original post should have stated the BOMB powers the amplifier, not the Sony DVD unit.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The Sensar provides 12 volts on the antenna out connector whenever it is not in CATV mode. You can set it to cable to de-power the amplifier in the TV antenna , minimizing its 12 volt power use. You would be OK to bypass the BOMB for Coax signals if you no longer have anything that feeds the TVs over the RF other than Cable and Roof Antenna.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Ok first it is the BOMB that currently provides 12 volt to the antenna.
It's true that the BOMB used in some, (most?), coaches powers the antenna amp/booster.

However the 9 button BOMB in my 1996 Safari does not power the antenna booster.
My antenna booster originally got it's power from a Winegard wall plate power supply....(since 2011 from a SensarPro).
Old 01-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Right Woodchopper but he never mentioned a power supply other than "The Sony unit" and the BOMB", he has also said OOPS you are right, it is the BOMB..

Yes, some of the newer ones have a non-winegard BOMB and a winegard wall plate like smaller TT's and such do.. Or a winegard "power inserter"

In any case the SENSAR PRO is designed to work with all configurations.. NOT so many pre-amps. Some of them may "Object" to 12 volt coming in the output lead.

But for him, Unless he wants to run a lot of coax (As I did) I'd use only ANT and TV-1 connections on the Sensar Pro.. (or TV-2, matters not which)

What I did:
TV-1 runs to the BOMB and then on to a digi-verter
TV-2 Runs to a second Digi-Verter (Digital TV to analog Converter) Directly.. one which I'm told has the best receiver for weak signal reception.

Cable in is.. Open and exposed in case I ever have a feed
ANT, goes where it is supposed to

Park cable goes to the BOMB and then on to the TV's. (Well some of them, One is fed off a splitter on TV-2)

Digi-Verters feed LIne in 2 (I think) on a pair of DVR's
BOMB Feeds cable to RF (Ant) IN on DVR's
DVR's select source and control Digi-Verters so if I want to watch say 3-3 (As I type) the DVR records OTA 3-3 via the digi verter, If I want to watch say Chan 9, It records 9. via cable.