Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #15

I was told by a tech at Dish Outdoors.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 10:21 PM   #16

Good news, fat chance! Our wine guard carryout dishes are not obsolete, and they are compatible with Wally reciever!! Started playing with mine again after work today and was able to get it up and running. Picks up all 3 sats and I get all the channels I get in the house including HD. (The carryout didnt pick up directv HD channels). I hooked carryout to Wally then powered it up and it locked onto the 119 I believe, then I disconnected power to carryout and turned on Wally and it went through the check switch and acquired signal then I plugged in carryout. I was getting all the channels but not the HD and the carryout wasn't toggling between the different sats. Also when I was on the dish signal page it showed no switch, so I ran a check switch with carryout plugged in and it finally showed the sw64 switch. I then clicked on each individual sattellite in the menu, 110,119,129 and waited for each to show signal and everything worked. I know this sounds troublesome but I don't think it's as difficult as all that. I unplugged the Wally so it would reset and after it did it still showed the sw64 switch, I also unplugged carryout and moved it and plugged it back in and it located and locked on quickly each time though it seemed I had to check the signal on each sat and make sure they were locked in order for everything to work right.
I was rereading your posts and I realize that you hadn't setup your Wally yet, have you had a chance to do so? I did my initial setup in my house off of a stationary dish. Do you have dish service already? I had read on other forums that the Wally needed to see all three satellites at once in order to be set up, after that it can view one at a time. Anyway I'm happy, and I will keep checking this thread to offer any help I can.
Discovery01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:52 AM   #17

Thanks Discovery01! I will play around with it this weekend. I appreciate you following up with this information.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
The wally needs the remote paired to it. Turn on the receiver, Point the remote at the receiver, press and hold the sat button on the side. As for downloading the initial software, it took my receiver a few HOURS. Yes hours, but it did eventually download, and now it works great.
Xman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #19

Not my thread, but I will chime-in with my experience.

I started last weekend trying to activate a new Dish 211z receiver in my MH. As instructed on the box, I called Dish to get the receiver activated and added to my existing account with Dish.
I talked to three Dish techs and was finally told that I would need to call Dish Outdoors, but that they were already closed for the day.
I got back to it yesterday. I called Dish and ask to be transferred to Dish Outdoors... the tech I was talking with insisted on trying to help me. She gave up and transferred me to a "senior tech". After 30 minutes or so of trying different things, the "senior tech" told me that she would have to transfer me to Dish Outdoors (could have saved an hour, if they had transferred me when I asked).

I had a long wait on hold for Dish Outdoors.... after the first hour, I realized that I was going to need my cell phone charger and I was getting hungry. I walked back to the house (about 100 yards), got the phone charger and snack food.
I then proceeded to read a few manuals that I had not got to for another 30 minutes.

I finally spoke with a very nice lady that told me what I needed to do and in about 15 minutes, I had Dish up and running.

You still have to call Dish to get your new receiver activated. After that, here are the steps I was instructed to do, if this helps anyone else;
Turn your receiver off (probably would not hurt to unplug from the outlet). If you have a roof-top antenna, turn off your antenna for several seconds.
Turn the antenna back on and wait for the antenna to stop making noise (should take six minutes).
Then turn on the receiver. Wait for it to boot-up. Then Press "menu" on your remote. In the menu screen select option "6" then option "1" and then option "1" again.
You should get a screen with a test option (I did not have to change any of the settings on this screen). Select "Test". On my receiver, this was a 38 step process (it has a counter, as it proceeds). This should find your satellites (for most of the United States, 110, 119, and 129).
From here, you can check your signal strength for each satellite, if you like... I was told that I needed a signal of 30 or better.
After this, when you select "Done" (I think), you will get a screen that says "Down Loading Programming". When this finishes, you are finished and should have DishNet on your television.
If not, get your phone charger, snacks, and call Dish Outdoors.
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #20

Update:

The remote is paired to the Wally.

The setup for the Wally is different than the 211z.

Still will not initialize.

I contacted Winegard and they confirmed what Dish said about Winegard Carryout Gm-1518 antennas made before 2013 not being compatible with (current) Dish systems (ours was made around 2010):

"Depending on the specific age of your GM-1518 it may not be compatible with DISH any more. Last year DISH made some changes to their satellites that affected our units that were manufactured before 2013. To determine the production date of your system we would need the serial number from inside the dome to determine when it was built."

So, I think I will replace the old Carryout with a new Carryout G2+ or Pathway X1 and mount it on the roof. Any reason to get one over the other?
Old 06-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #21

I contacted wine guard with my serial number. They told me my unit was mfg. in March of 2011. I was watching dish network with that and my new Wally two weeks ago. You haven't mentioned if you have done the initial setup of the Wally. I set mine up with my on house 3 lnb dish because I read that the Wally needs to see all three satellites at once for the initial setup, that is something that is not possible with any of the carryouts including the g2. Once the initial setup is done and the Wally is activated through dish network it should work fine. Mine seemed to. Going to plug it in again this weekend and try out my ladder mount that I made and see how that goes.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:40 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
Update:

<snip>

So, I think I will replace the old Carryout with a new Carryout G2+ or Pathway X1 and mount it on the roof. Any reason to get one over the other?
We only have the single wally and got a Dish Playmaker dome (I believe by Winegard) in January at Quartzsite. Works great and does everything we need. Hooked to front TV via HDMI and the others via the old cable. We added a 2TB hard drive on one of the 2 USB ports on Wally and paid 1 time fee of $40 and have the poor man's DVR which works great. Also added Dish's USB WIFI in the other USB port so we can do the on demand stuff too.
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #23

Discovery01 - our problem is that the Wally will not initialize. We full-time and do not have access to a residential system to do the initialization, if I understand your question properly.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRebel View Post
Not my thread, but I will chime-in with my experience.

I started last weekend trying to activate a new Dish 211z receiver in my MH. As instructed on the box, I called Dish to get the receiver activated and added to my existing account with Dish.
I talked to three Dish techs and was finally told that I would need to call Dish Outdoors, but that they were already closed for the day......
First time I have ever heard of Dish Outdoors. Do they have a separate phone number?

I do know the last few times I have contacted Dish about reactivating the receiver or getting locals switched, the Chat person has done an outstanding job. Seems like all of a sudden the service level has improved.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #25

Fat Chance, I was wondering if u full time. Getting it set up is definitely the difficult part. I wonder if a local installer could set it up at his house? Or if there is an actual dish network distributor with a physical address you could take it into for initial setup? Maybe someone you know with dish on there house?
I just put mine up on my ladder mount yesterday and I had to call tech support at dish because the software was out of date on the Wally because I don't leave it hooked up, but once they updated the software for me my 2011 carryout seems to work fine.
I can't comment on any other automatic dishes because the carryout is the only one I've used. I have a crank up on the roof but I'm not very good at setting up, and for me automatic is the only way. There are the fancy automatic rooftop dishes that see all three sattellites without toggling but they are $$$.
Hope you get it figured out

Tags
dish