Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2010, 07:19 AM   #1

Setting zip code for Directv while on road?

I'm new to sat and rv use. I've got Directv sd at home. I've got two D11 receivers in the house. I seem to remember the tech telling me no problem putting a box in my rv and hooking it up to the dome. He said to just re-set the zip code to where I am on the road, I thought. I hooked up the box in my rig and it worked fine around town. I went from St. Paul to Omaha a couple weeks ago. When we got far from St. Paul we lost the local channel. No biggy. Switched around and found some channels. Then when I had some time to mess with it in Omaha I found out I couldn't get any of the channels I get at home. Like all the package channels I think. When I tried to tune one it would say "channel not purchased" on the screen. I'm guessing I needed to set the zip code to Omaha? I tried to figure out how to do that but couldn't. I got into "system setup" and I can see on the "info" screen there is my home zip code. Do I scroll down to "reset" on the left and enter that? When I did that it says, "Warning! Use caution before completint and of these items. Setting data may be lost or changed. Press SELECT on an item to get more info." And then in the lower right there is a three choice box, "Restart Receiver", "Reset Defaults." and "Reset Everything." Is this where I go to set the zip code? When I clicked that one it gave me another warning so I got scared and quit. We're back home now and it works fine but I'd like to figure it out before the next trip.

I've searched and read tons about paying extra while on the road and such. I can't find about setting the zip code tho. Would the box then pickup my package channels if I set the zip code where I am? Like Discovery, Speed, VS, etc....?

Sorry if this is too long but I'm not very good with technology, and my 10th grade typing teacher, Miss Condiff, would be proud of me.
Bob86ZZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #2

I forgot to mention. It wasn't an issue of not getting a signal because while in Omaha I was getting a great signal. I picked up the Today show just fine. I should have written down the channels I did get but there weren't many if I remember correctly. The guide even worked, it would show me all my channels and what was playing. It's just when I would highlight a channel and push enter it would give me that splash, "Channel not purchased."
Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm far from a expert on this but we full time and have DTV so I'll share my understanding.

As you already know, you will lose your local channels/network feeds when you get a couple hundred miles from home. It sounds like you've already read about DNS... "paying more while on the road"... which provides network feeds while traveling. These feeds come from either NY or LA depending on your "service address" on file with DTV. We have this service and pay $14/mo for it.

It sounds like you might have something funny going on however, because I don't think you should lose your package channels when traveling. Only the ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS should be impacted. Did you go through the entire set up process when you put the receiver in your coach? You might have considerably different sat configurations for your dome than at home and could be missing a sat or two in your recepting which I think could explain it.

I don't believe you can change your "service address" simply by changing your zip code on the TV menu. I think that is only to provide you with aiming information if you're using a manual dish. I have read posts on this forum which seem to indicate that by going on line into your account you might be able to change your service address and do what you want but I've never tried it and I'm skeptical.

Good Luck.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:06 AM   #4

Hhhmmm, interesting. Maybe I was only getting one of the satelites or something? I've got a Winegard dome on the roof, "Roadking" maybe? Can't remember for sure. I don't like to climb around on the roof too much. It came on my rig when I bought it used and I don't have any info on it.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I know that my Winegard dish came from the factory pre set for Dish Network and I had to get on the roof to change some micro swithes so it would pick up all of DTV... but my dish wasn't a dome.

I think you'll need to find out what make/model dome you have and then look up the manual on the web to see if there are any setting changes required on the roof and it should also tell you what setting to use during your DTV set up process.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Dtv has award winning cust. service. Call them and they will walk you through it. 800-531-5000

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The zip code has nothing to do with your problem. It only allows the receiver to show the stored elevation and azimuth for a manual dish.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #8

Aaahhhh, okay, I'll have to wait until I can get to my storage unit and climb up top and see what antenna I've got for sure. Then I'll get the owners manual for it off their site and see if I've got it adjusted okay. Hopefully it's a switch problem with the dome. Thanks everybody.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Aaahhhh, okay, I'll have to wait until I can get to my storage unit and climb up top and see what antenna I've got for sure. Then I'll get the owners manual for it off their site and see if I've got it adjusted okay. Hopefully it's a switch problem with the dome. Thanks everybody.
If you have a Winegard then you have either a RoadTrip or Movin' View. It really makes not different, however. They will both work exactly the same. They also both come from the factory set for DirecTV and since you are getting some programming, that part is set and working properly.
You will NOT be able to get any Network programming (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW) while you are out of your home area. You also cannot get ANY HDTV programming while using a dome (whether at home or not).
As mentioned above, changing the zip code in the receiver will not do anything at all so you can ignore that issue.
You can sign up for the DNS (Distant Network Services) program from DirecTV and you will get the major Networks for $14/month from NY and LA (East and West) anywhere you travel. PBS and CW are available for an additional $1.50/month each.
You may need to go into your receiver setup menu and change your dish type to "round 18"" to get all of the programming that is available on the 101 satellite. This would be my first next step in your trouble-shooting routine.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
...You can sign up for the DNS (Distant Network Services) program from DirecTV and you will get the major Networks for $14/month from NY and LA (East and West) anywhere you travel. PBS and CW are available for an additional $1.50/month each...
Bill, I think you forgot to mention he will not be able to do this if one receiver is at home and one is in the RV and they are both on the same account. If he does, he will loose his locals at home. To get DNS in the RV and locals at home, you need 2 separate accounts.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #11

I did not consider that he wanted both. If you are not home why would you need both? I see where that could be a possibility and I am glad that you mentioned it, I just didn't see it that why in reading the post. You could have both on DNS while traveling or suspend service on one and add DNS on the other or keep DNS on both when at home and while traveling. There are quite a few options available.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #12
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
I did not consider that he wanted both. If you are not home why would you need both? I see where that could be a possibility and I am glad that you mentioned it, I just didn't see it that why in reading the post. You could have both on DNS while traveling or suspend service on one and add DNS on the other or keep DNS on both when at home and while traveling. There are quite a few options available.
In the few sentences the OP said he had two D11 receivers and the tech told him he could put one in his RV. I assumed he would be using the one in the RV part time and the one at home the rest of the time, or that he would be carrying the one in the RV back and forth.

You are correct that there are options to deal with this other than having 2 separate accounts.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:46 AM   #13

Moving the receiver back and forth was the way I took the OP. Your post adds some missing information in case he is confused by what he can and cannot do.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

All he has to do is call DTV and ask them to change the Service Address (zip code) on his account. That should get him the local channels where he now is, including the network affiliates. But the receiver remaining at home will also be changed and will NOT get locals there. So if somebody stayed home while the others travel, they lose their tv service. The only way around that is to get two separate accounts and pay accordingly.

As the others have said, changing the zip code in his receiver doesn't change anything except the azimuth it displays.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote