Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2018, 09:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb Share Webost RV65 mounting option.

I recently ordered a Weboost RV65 cellphone booster.

The RV65 comes with an extendable mast. They include two plastic brackets to attach to the side of your RV with 3M VHB tape. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of leaving these fixtures on the side of my coach for all time.

I have designed a bracket to zip tie to the rear ladder rails...for anyone interested. If I'm not using it for a while...I can simply cut the zip ties...and reattach the brackets the next time I need cell phone boosting.

Please be advised...this is a first iteration...and I have not even had an opportunity to print it out to see if all my measurements are correct. But if you have a need...and a 3d printer...you'll know what to do with it.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2920024

Enjoy,

Charlie

EDIT...already remixing...as I see that the brackets on the pole have to slide into a groove...I need to make the bracket thinner on the rails to fit the groove... will be back up as soon as I redesign it..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I went thru all 3 types of antennas. Decided on their omnidirectional for convenience.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
I went thru all 3 types of antennas. Decided on their omnidirectional for convenience.
Nothing convenient about the RV-65...it is a setup and teardown operation...but we really don't go too many places that we need it. So, a few times a year that we might have a weak signal...I don't mind.

Luckily, there is an app for finding the direction to the closest tower...so pointing won't be too difficult. I also think it helps to know where the antenna is pointing as far as keeping down occillations... between the two antennas.

Just got it...so we'll be playing around to see how it goes.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The tower of power...

Have only tested it at home...which has good cell signal.

Went from -106 dB to -77 dB...so the signal to the phone is better. Upload speed test got quite the performance boost. Download speed actually went down. I surmise the directional antenna needs a bit of tweaking to hit the targeted tower better.

I like the 3D printed brackets. They are easy to connect...and allowed me to skip using the Weboost supplied mounts which VHB tape to your coaches painted siding. Not something I wanted to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180627_121239.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	208698   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180627_121231.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	208699  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180627_104005.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	208700   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180627_121329.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	208701  

Old 06-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #5

Interesting. I'm thinking of getting the same model. We spend most of our time where the cell signal is weak at best (even at our rural home). Many campgrounds we visit there is no signal, and I don't anticipate this helping much if at all. However, I hope this helps in those locations with at least one occasional bar of service.

I don't plan on mounting the brackets to the trailer either. Hopefully a temporary ladder mount using cable ties or bungee cords does the trick for a couple of nights at camp.