Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Sharing RV park's internet w/2 laptops

I know there must be a simple way to share an RV park's internet connection between 2 laptops but I can't seem to think it through. When we stop at a park that gives you a unique password to their internet connection (so that only one computer can sign in at a time), could I set up our Cradlepoint CTR 500 to share the connection with our 2 laptops?

I know how to set up the Cradlepoint with a modem, but am lost when it comes to this scenario because I'm not sure how to get the signal to the cradlepoint. Maybe the Cradlepoint isn't the way to go... any other ideas?

Thanks,
Mary
lukidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukidog View Post
I know there must be a simple way to share an RV park's internet connection between 2 laptops but I can't seem to think it through. When we stop at a park that gives you a unique password to their internet connection (so that only one computer can sign in at a time), could I set up our Cradlepoint CTR 500 to share the connection with our 2 laptops?

I know how to set up the Cradlepoint with a modem, but am lost when it comes to this scenario because I'm not sure how to get the signal to the cradlepoint. Maybe the Cradlepoint isn't the way to go... any other ideas?

Thanks,
Mary
You need a router like the Cradlepoint CTR-35 that can use WiFi as the WAN connection. The WiFi Ranger also works in this mode.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Connectify would probably be the simplest method. The second laptop would connect to the first laptop.
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
You can also create an ad hoc network with one laptop and share the connection with the other laptop.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The answer to your cradlepoint is yes. You need a Wifi device on the LAN port of the CTR500. That will provide you the connection to the parks Wifi. I use a Ubiquiti Bullet mounted on the ladder with CAT5 running into the coach to the Cradle Point.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #6

Thumbs up

So, are you totally confused? Buy this unit and get great reception with the ability to hook up to 5 computers.

JEFA Tech: Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
just get a wifi ranger. problem solved. mine works great.

Outlaw
Old 07-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks for the great suggestions. For our situation, I think the Connectify is probably the best solution. DH has a Windows 7 computer and mine is XP so it looks like his will be the host computer.

I think I know just enough to be dangerous if I try to set up an ad hoc network. And I don't want to have to buy any more equipment. We're going to a rally this month that offers a pay-to-use internet connection, so I think we'll give Connectify a try when we get there. Cheaper than reactivating our Verizon USB modem and the location isn't the greatest for Verizon.

Thanks again for the help.

Mary
lukidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #9

And the simplest way is to ask for 2 of those passwords and give the other to your husband. When the park has wifi that they limit to one via a password, I just smile and ask for a 2nd, telling them that my husband & I don't share computers and they always smile knowingly and give it quickly. I've never been turned down.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:47 PM   #10

Another vote for Connectify. Worked great for me when I was tethering my Blackberry. Easy free download and installation.
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by padre44 View Post
Another vote for Connectify. Worked great for me when I was tethering my Blackberry. Easy free download and installation.
I don't want to pay $60 a month for internet service which I will use up in a few days and then pay an arm and a leg for more and hope I can get a signal where I'm at. There are so many free wifi spots all over so why not take advantage of them?

The biggest problem you have in a CG is the weak signal. No matter what you have if the signal is weak it won't work. The Jefa system finds signals and amplifies them so even a weak signal becomes a good one. We went to a CG last week where they wanted $10 a day to hook up to wifi. I just plugged in the Jafa system and found a good free signal and hooked up to it. It finds signals from a mile away so there is usually one you can hook up to. I don't work for Jafa-tech but they have one great product.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:42 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I use a WIFI Ranger, you put the password that the park gives you into it and it will connect with up to 5 PC's. I use mine with the external Booster and a cellular USB modem, if the wifi signal is weak to you RV, it will be full strength with the booster, and if you don't have wifi at the park, the modem will automatically connect if cell service is available. https://www.wifiranger.com/

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #13

another vote for connectify
Old 07-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
I just plugged in the Jafa system and found a good free signal and hooked up to it.
Uhhh... here in WA state that's illegal and people can and have gone to jail over it!! If you connect to free WIFI like Starbucks even that may be illegal, but if it's someones personal site or one that is reserved for their customers then it's illegal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote