Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Side View camera Systems

I would like to mount a pair of side view cameras in my MH. All I've found are part of a back up camera system. I'd like to install and use a separate TV to monitor rather than tie into the backup camera. Any suggestions? Safe travels.. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Where do you want to install them and which way will they be facing?

I can make some recommendations once I know the answers to my questions.

I am up to six cameras now, 4 on my cargo trailer and I am adding another 2 that are set into the lower glass of a new set of mirrors I am installing on the coach.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
just a hint. I would have to go to the rv to see wahat brand I have, it has a really nice color pic on a seperate screen mounted on the dash. it is wireless and the dw can not use her laptop using the hot spot from my att Iphone when it is power on. other then that I love having a side camera.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WOW, I would like to mt on ea side of mh. Interesting how many u installed. I ran over apost & BIG rock. After reading your note i might even consider mounting 2 more to view placeof rear wheels. Safe travels ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Cameras come in all shapes and sizes. There are ones that are front facing and ones that are rear facing or mirror image view.

If you are planning to side mount them looking rearwards, make sure you purchase cameras that are mirror image or can be programmed for mirror image.

I purchased my cameras for the trailer from Active-Vison, link below.

Wholesale CCTV Security Video Cameras, Surveillance Systems, DVR, GeoVision Digital Video Recorders

The first time through this project I purchased the wrong facing cameras for the left and right side of my trailer. When the images were displayed on my monitor they were always in the wrong orientation to what my brain was accustomed to viewing. Just recently, I replaced those with upgraded Sony cameras that are programmable so I can now set them up with a mirror image.

I have four cameras for my trailer. One inside looking at the cargo. One in the rear that gives me about a 130 degree angle view of the rear. One on each side of the trailer showing me about 1.5 lanes in both directions.

So I can watch traffic on each side of my trailer, then when passing, once I see the front of the vehicle in my rear-view camera, I know that it is safe to pull over to the right lane. can also watch for vehicles approaching from both sides of the trailer.

Next, you need a DVR with a hard drive. They come in various sizes. I chose the eight camera size and bought a 2 TB hard-drive. I am now using 6 of the 8 positions available.

You will also need a monitor. I purchased one from Amazon which is called IView. It's 15 inch and mounted on a flip down TV mount (purchased from eBay) that is secured to the bottom of the overhead cabinet above and in front of my driver's seat. When in position, it does not block my vision for driving.

I am now working on removing the OEM mirrors from the coach and installing the Ramco upgraded three-head mirrors with In-Vue cameras built-in to the lower mirror. That will give me complete rear side views for both sides of my coach. They will be active all the time, not just when the turn signals are active which is the way that the OEM Factory systems work.

Everything is powered by 12 VDC, cameras, DVR, monitor, etc.

I can take some photos later and post them if needed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Are your cameras all wireless?

Would you give us an idea of costs for each of these?

Did you tie the your camera system into something like a Silverleaf ?

Can't wait to see the photos!
Old 08-19-2013, 06:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post

Are your cameras all wireless?

Would you give us an idea of costs for each of these?

Did you tie the your camera system into something like a Silverleaf ?

Can't wait to see the photos!
All of the cameras that I am using on the trailer and coach are wired except for one specific camera that I only mount and use for hitching up my cargo trailer tongue to the ball of the hitch on my coach.

That one is wireless BUT it took me multiple tries to find one that ACTUALLY worked as described. Most of the ones I ordered did not work worth a damn. That specific camera comes from TST and is expandable up to four cameras if needed. The display is only 2.5 inches but comes with a RCA cable to attach it to a larger monitor. I plug it into my Garmin RV760-LMT which is a 7 inch screen. I tried my 15 inch screen too but I didn't like the resolution. Maybe by playing around with the display controls I could get the 15 inch screen display to be better with the wireless. That camera gets mounted with a suction cup on the rear engine cover until finished then it's packed away until needed the next time.

The wired cameras were purchased from Active-Vision for $80 each.

3-Axis Varifocal Infrared Vandalproof Dome Camera, 750Res Sony EFFIO

These are the NEW ones with the correct image orientation for each side. The most important aspect of these cameras is that they need to be weatherproof or have an IP rating of 66 or higher.

The DVR was maybe $300 and the 2 TB hard-drive was another $100.

Here are a couple of links to the DVR.

8CH CCTV Video & 4CH Audio 700 TVL High Res D1 H.264 DVR

I bought my newest mirror conversions on eBay last summer from a distributor who had excess stock. Those are not mounted yet. It is a work in progress project that is underway currently.

Here is a current link to a RH model that is presently listed on eBay.

New Ramco RV Mirror RH Triple Head Chrome 16" Arm w Muth w ASA Color Camera | eBay

I will get some photos posted within a week or two.

My system is NOT tied into the SilverLeaf. It's a stand alone system. The SilverLeaf system I am currently running is the VMSpc using a 10 inch Dell notebook.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
I'm getting ready to install a wired "backup" camera and want to connect it to my Garmin RV 760. The Garmin has a female 3.5mm video input jack and the camera presents a female RCA plug. Garmin has an adapter cable as shown below. Using it requires an RCA male to male cable. I'd like to use as few connections/cables as practical.

To that end, is there an RCA male to 3.5mm male single element cable available? I have not found any in a cursory search.

Thanks,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 05:40 PM   #9

Voyager

My Motorhome has a Voyager 3 camera system, all wired.

Has a great color display that is 7".

JohnnyB
Old 10-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #10

In thinking about adding side cameras as well. Currently, like most, I have the factory rear camera which displays on the in dash monitor. I naturally look towards the mirrors when lane changing so why not mount small monitors in the lower corner of the dash on each side, wired to the appropriate side camera. That way when I'm changing lanes I will look to the mirror and also be able to see the side camera monitor. My last TV/TT had three cameras mainly for backing and cargo. I purchased the units off ebay at a much better price than other online outlets. I had to replace the cameras once but the monitor kept going strong when I sold it. I'm not a big fan of too many electronic distractions requiring me looking from where I should be looking.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera