Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Signal amplifier for park cable

We're in a cg with a poor cable system. I had almost forgotten what snow on an analog signal looks like until we got here.

1) Has anyone used a signal amplifier successfully in this situation?

2) If an amplifier can help, could I route the park cable through the antenna input connector on the winegard sensar power supply/amplifier to boost the park cable signal?

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 07:31 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I think the park cable hooks to the antenna booster but the booster must be off for the campground cable to come in clear. I apologize if I am misunderstanding your question.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

My understanding is that the antenna connection is amplified and the park cable is not. Both are going into the winegard box. The switch on the box selects which input is fed to the TV and turns on the amplifier, but I haven't found any documentation on this.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #4

No you probably won't get a better signal. It's not your equipment - it's a weak connection at the pedestal or somewhere in their cable system. It's very common. Make sure your cable is tight at both ends. If that doesn't help, there's a problem somewhere else down the line.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was afraid of that. The park cable only has 7 working stations and none of them are clear. This cg has had mixed reviews and the service I am seeing is what others have reported in this area. Park management does not seem interested in addressing their problems.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:33 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
knightstorm,
1) I have a power amp were the park cable comes into the coach. Helps a little.
2) The wall plate is a power and video switch. The amplifier is in the antenna.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
if you have a newer flat screen tv...do a menu, auto channel search. also make sure the over air antenna is turned off.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #8

Turn OFF the TV booster ........if it is a box of many buttons turn the power button OFF

If it is a wall connection.......turn the Indicator light OFF

Cable channels will NOT be clear if TV antenna booster power is ON...turn it OFF and see if cable channels clear up.

If cable channels still snowy are the neighbors reception same?
Have you asked CG staff about poor cable reception?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:02 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I added a signal booster where park cable is connected to my motorhome. I bought it at Radio Shack several years ago. It helps with long runs of coax and does not interfere with the antenna power booster. The park cable connects to the booster and the booster is then connected to the cable connector of the motorhome. You'll need 110 volts to plug in to. It helped with the cable signal.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:45 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
We're in a cg with a poor cable system. If the CG has a poor cable system, there could be multiple issues. Inadequate receiving signal, bad receiver equipment, physical damage or water damage to exposed outdoor cable lines/equipment, etc.

1) Has anyone used a signal amplifier successfully in this situation?There is signal(db) losses per every 100' of cable line in the cable system and RV. More db loss at higher frequencies. An amplifier is used to boost good signal to extend the signal for long runs or multiple outlets(TVs). Once the signal has dropped below acceptable level, it will show as snowy/grainy picture. If the signal is low at the RV connection point, then an amplifier will only amplify grainy picture.

2) If an amplifier can help, could I route the park cable through the antenna input connector on the winegard sensar power supply/amplifier to boost the park cable signal?There is no need for an RVer to add an amplifier in a closed circuit cable system unless you have 4 outlets(TVs) or more in the RV.
Now, if you have knowledge that other campers are experiencing the same grainy/snowy picture, then it's in the CG's system.

If the other campers have good picture, then, it is isolated to just the line feeding your RV, or, in your RV. To make sure it is not in your RV wiring, take your TV(hopefully it's not a big TV) and connect the TV directly to the Pedestal RV connection point. If you get a good picture, the problem is in the RV wiring. If the picture is still grainy/snowy then the problem is in the CG's system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithBowls View Post
No you probably won't get a better signal. It's not your equipment - it's a weak connection at the pedestal or somewhere in their cable system. It's very common. Make sure your cable is tight at both ends. If that doesn't help, there's a problem somewhere else down the line.
x2

Connectors are a usual culprit in a well maintained cable system. Knightstrom, the only thing you can do is make sure the connectors and wires of the RV are in good condition.

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:18 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Thank you all.

Service at this cg is quirky to be polite. Their ISP is Comcast and WiFi is adequate. Their TV provider is dish network and, as I later confirmed in recent park reviews, they turn off the receiver at night so we can't watch the morning news over breakfast at 7:00am (Inside with windows closed to respect quiet hours).

I'll have to expand this and move it to park reviews when we leave.

Old 09-26-2016, 05:59 AM   #12

here's the small coax amplifier we use, two - one near the entry, and another near the boys bunk tvs where the long runs of coax and splitters help cause the lower signal strength...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amp.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	139981  
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
2) If an amplifier can help, could I route the park cable through the antenna input connector on the winegard sensar power supply/amplifier to boost the park cable signal?
The amplifier/booster is in the antenna head. The power supply just provides the 12 volt power for the amplifier in the head through the coax. Plugging the cable into the TV input cannot amplify the cable, and since it is feeding 12 volts back into the cable coax, it can quite possibly damage the park's cable system!!
Old 09-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Thank you all.

Service at this cg is quirky to be polite. Their ISP is Comcast and WiFi is adequate. Their TV provider is dish network and, as I later confirmed in recent park reviews, they turn off the receiver at night so we can't watch the morning news over breakfast at 7:00am (Inside with windows closed to respect quiet hours).

I'll have to expand this and move it to park reviews when we leave.

Other than 'park reviews' have you actually talked with CG Staff and discussed cable service issues?

Park reviews are handy but NOT gospel ----face to face conversation can do wonders
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote