Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2016, 08:20 PM   #15

See Dr Q post above. I set this system up And found it to very robust. at our winter location in Florida I can hit an Xfinity wireless hotspot, which is free if you subscribe to their Internet service, and stream away my hearts content. I also work on a tugboat in NY and can often pickup Xfinity hotspots shoreside near a docking location. You need to be in a populated area but theyve got a ton of hotspots around.
The system also works great on park wi-fi but of course it can't overcome limitations of their basic systems. I have found many parks are moving to upgrade though as the demand is there. I'd certainly be OK with a MODEST charge to help defray that cost.
WaterFolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #16
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
I just purchased 24G for $10 per month from Verizon. You have to go to the Verizon store in order for you to get the new lower rates. Even when the rates are lowered at Verizon they do not tell you or change your rates unless you ask to have them lowered.
Did I read that correctly? 24GB of data is only $10 per month? Is that for a mobile hotspot? Or, a tethered hotspot on a cell phone? Could you tell us some more about this plan, please?
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:05 AM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Sure, I pay ten dollars a month for 24 gigabytes of data on a LTE plus Voice router. I have the basic plan for my Verizon phones and I added an LTE for an additional $10 per month. It also has a rollover feature. If I don't use all of the data it rolls over to the next month. I have 4 phones on the family plan.

I had to purchase the modem for a cost of $40 activation and I had to pay the tax on the whole amount of the value of the modem (about $50) but the reoccurring cost of the 24 gigs is a whopping $10 per month. I also had to sign a 2 year extension on my contract, but since I have been with Verizon for 13 years, that wasn't a big deal.

I have enclosed a picture of the LTE with voice. I did not activate the voice portion of the LTE because that would cost more and we already have our cell phones. I believe this modem is available with other carriers.

It is like having Cox or Charter cable right in your Motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Novatel_home_phone_connect_4g_lte_novt1114v.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	140192  
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #18

Yeahbut - it sounds like you already have a fairly expensive voice phone package that you are adding data to. That is quite different than just getting that much data for $10.

FWIW if the OP is using that much data might be the problem in the park. It sounds like live stream video.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Bill, I don't mean to doubt you, but that is an EXCEPTIONALLY good deal for 24gb per month (especially from Verizon).
I'd suggest you go online to myverizon.com and verify you'll be paying what you think you'll be paying. To my knowledge the DEVICE is $10 per month, and the 24gb is going to be something quite a bit more than that. I have the same device on a 16gb rollover plan and my monthly cost for the 16gb is around $80 (I don't recall exactly, but that's close).
I really hope you got that good of a deal, but I'm afraid that the person who sold it to you didn't do a very good job of explaining the monthly costs to you.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:01 AM   #20

Internet connection is important to me. I have a 40 GB a month plan with Verizon and that is not enough for a month. I use as much park WiFi as I can use.
I use a Pepwave SOHO Router which has Wifi as Wan which can pickup park WiFi and broadcast it through the RV.

If the park WiFi is too weak, signal wise, I have a Ubiquity Bullet radio on the roof with a 6dB omni antenna so I don't have to aim it. The output of the Bullet, which is router in its own right, is fed into the SOHO as the WAN connection. I needed to only run a CAT-5 cable to the roof for the Bullet.

When the park WiFi is useless, usually in the evening from movie viewing, I switch to the USB Verizon modem connected to the SOHO. The USB Modem is sitting in a Wilson Sleek amplifier with a high-gain roof antenna. I had to run an antenna cable to the roof.

I do some my heaviest Internet traffic about 4:00 AM when the park WiFi is often okay, not much movie viewing.

The SOHO is my choice since I have the three inputs, WiFi as WAN, Bullet WiFi and the Verizon
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdreamlv View Post
Sure, I pay ten dollars a month for 24 gigabytes of data on a LTE plus Voice router. I have the basic plan for my Verizon phones and I added an LTE for an additional $10 per month. It also has a rollover feature. If I don't use all of the data it rolls over to the next month. I have 4 phones on the family plan.

I had to purchase the modem for a cost of $40 activation and I had to pay the tax on the whole amount of the value of the modem (about $50) but the reoccurring cost of the 24 gigs is a whopping $10 per month. I also had to sign a 2 year extension on my contract, but since I have been with Verizon for 13 years, that wasn't a big deal.

I have enclosed a picture of the LTE with voice. I did not activate the voice portion of the LTE because that would cost more and we already have our cell phones. I believe this modem is available with other carriers.

It is like having Cox or Charter cable right in your Motorhome.

This setup is no longer available from Verizon....
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
This setup is no longer available from Verizon....
Dr. Q,

I just did this less than 2 weeks ago.

Here is how it works. I am a Verizon customer. I pay a fixed amount for my plan every month. I get 24 gigs with a roll over for 5 phones. So, I purchased the router-modem LTE with Voice at the price previously stated and the additional line cost is $10 per month. This allows me to share the data on my LTE. The plan is still available as of today. You must have mistaken what I had said in a previous post, but if you are a Verizon customer and you have a voice and data plan already, you can add this device for only $10 per month. I just did this less than 2 weeks ago so I know what I am talking about. I called them again today to verify what I had posted earlier and it was confirmed. Thanks for your response.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #23

So the router cost $10 more per month, above and beyond the $200 you pay for 24 GB of shared data and 5 Smartphones ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
So the router cost $10 more per month, above and beyond the $200 you pay for 24 GB of shared data and 5 Smartphones ?
Any data device (MiFI, Modem, etc) is $10 a month. But that if for the device only, there is no data bandwidth with that.

billdreamlv was a little deceptive saying he got 24 GB LTE for $10. He just got the device.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Any data device (MiFI, Modem, etc) is $10 a month. But that if for the device only, there is no data bandwidth with that.
Correct, that's the way mine is. The deviceis just a connecting point to the data you've already purchased. The particular device in the picture previous also allows you to connect a regular 'land-line' phone to it, which will then make calls over the cell network (not using data).
Old 09-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post

billdreamlv was a little deceptive saying he got 24 GB LTE for $10. He just got the device.
That why I called him out on it.

I have a 18 GB plan with 2 Smartphones. I had an air card that I de-activated to save the $10 per month. I use the phone's hotspot as my router.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #27

Campground WiFi, Ugh! I was in the same situation, can't log onto campground wifi (I hate that little yellow 'limited' triangle!).

Solution: went out a bought an Asus 1900 USB-AC68 WiFi Adapter ($90 at Frys electronics).

Didn't have a lot of hope as I've used external usb wifi antennas before with little to no success.

Lo and behold, IT WORKED! I'm writing this from a campground near Portland and its working like a charm. Anyway, sometimes things work like they should.

Now, can I plug the adapter into a router USB port and have my own local wifi network for my wifes smartphone and the MH's Smart TV?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #28
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Campground WiFi, Ugh! I was in the same situation, can't log onto campground wifi (I hate that little yellow 'limited' triangle!).

Solution: went out a bought an Asus 1900 USB-AC68 WiFi Adapter ($90 at Frys electronics).

Didn't have a lot of hope as I've used external usb wifi antennas before with little to no success.

Lo and behold, IT WORKED! I'm writing this from a campground near Portland and its working like a charm. Anyway, sometimes things work like they should.

Now, can I plug the adapter into a router USB port and have my own local wifi network for my wifes smartphone and the MH's Smart TV?

The problem most of us have is not about getting enough signal and connecting to the CG WiFi, it's the system not having enough bandwidth to support all the users when some of them are streaming movies and videos!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote