Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2019, 07:40 AM   #1

Sirius Radio?

I am thinking of getting a Sirius radio to use in our Class A while traveling and also to able to move it to our car or truck.
I haven't seen anything recently, when I did a search, that helps.
Are there any models/units that you would recommend for my uses and any secretes to getting a "reasonable" rate for the service?

Thanks,

Wm Mayberry
2003 National Tradewinds 375LE
2011 Honda CRV
wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2019, 07:46 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Crutchfield has a couple different units that can be moved between vehicles, I would hit their page and see what works for you. Cost is pretty reasonable, you would be looking at one unit, and then extra docking stations for your other vehicles.

Relative to rates, it’s usually a game of “customer service rep roulette”, some are more willing to play let’s make a deal then others. Sirius usually gives you a discounted package when you buy a new radio, it’s when that period is up they seem to negotiate as they don’t want to loose you. Out of the gate is tough, they know you just bought a new radio and are probably going to sign up, why discount?

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #3

I have Sirius in 2 cars and my motor home and on my computer —— for me it is required equipment drive alone so I appreciate the programming—- I have been offered FREE radios on Sirius promotions from time to time that are portable— also a email house I deal with is a group called cruthfield that may have a product that will integrate with your coach and be removable with the call
Andyweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #4

Thanks, I'll check them out.
Wm
Old 01-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post
I am thinking of getting a Sirius radio to use in our Class A while traveling and also to able to move it to our car or truck.
Are there any models/units that you would recommend for my uses and any secretes to getting a "reasonable" rate for the service?

Thanks,

Wm Mayberry
2011 Honda CRV
we're not fuilltimers but are on the road 4-6 mos. a year. we subscribe to S/XM in the MH using their Sirius Select plan, roughly $15 per month (but check for a 6-mo special) + fees, etc. we turn it on before we leave and cancel when we return home. we get credit for the unused portion of the subscription.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #6

We are on an Ala-Carte plan with them. Check if those are still available. We don’t pay for any extra channels, don’t listen to Howard Stern, etc. I think we’re paying about $7 a month. We have a unit that is portable but only leave it in the RV. When we moved to this plan you had to have certain receivers so you want to make sure you can get the plan then see what receivers will work on the plan.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #7

I have one of those portable Onyx XM/Sirius radios that I have on a suction cup mount in the motorhome. I plug it in to the aux port on the indash radio. I also put their antennas on my other two vehicles and I can move it from one to another and only have one account.
You have to call and threaten to cancel and then you can get it for a reasonable price. Right now I'm paying $8.33/month but I have to do the drill this week or it goes up to $11.
Chaps my jaws that we have to do this every time but I guess there are some out there that just pay the $18/month not knowing any better.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #8

Agree
I have yet to pay full price.
Always a special available. Some 3mo 6mo or 12mo.
I have also requested they dr. O not keep CC info on file... call or invoice me and I pay or negotiate.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #9

Looks like $11/mo is the cheapest available right now. We have both the motorhome and car on subscriptions, and we hardly ever listen. We are thinking of just cancelling it totally. The only station we ever listen to is the old radio program channel (Radio Classics), and many of those old programs are available to download for free over the internet.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:47 AM   #10

Thanks for the thoughts.
I'm still undecided about whether to get it or not.
We are not full timers, so we would mostly be interested in having it on long trips (We are planning a trip out West)
If the cost isn't too bad we may just go ahead and get one. The units themselves don't seem very expensive, so it looks like dealing with someone to get the best rate.

Wm
Old 01-22-2019, 06:05 AM   #11

Don't they have a streaming service you can buy? If you've got an ipad or smart phone that you can link to the stereo you might just be able to get the streaming service and listen that way when driving.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiii View Post

Thanks,

Wm Mayberry
2011 Honda CRV
Why not use the Sirius app either on your phone or a tablet/ laptop. That way you have it anywhere anytime. Works well off cell phone and with the data plans out there these days and the small amount of data that Sirius uses its a non event. Buy a bluetooth speaker(s) connect upand youre set. I have a pair of 808 Canz speakers are rechargeable decent sound and they connect easy to bluetooth.

Sirius streaming is 4.99 a month for 6 months and then i'm sure goes up but after you have joined they'll negotiate to keep you
ajsfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsfla View Post
Why not use the Sirius app either on your phone or a tablet/ laptop. That way you have it anywhere anytime. Works well off cell phone and with the data plans out there these days and the small amount of data that Sirius uses its a non event. Buy a bluetooth speaker(s) connect upand youre set. I have a pair of 808 Canz speakers are rechargeable decent sound and they connect easy to bluetooth.

Sirius streaming is 4.99 a month for 6 months and then i'm sure goes up but after you have joined they'll negotiate to keep you
Great idea.
I'll look into that. It might judt work.
Thanks
Old 01-23-2019, 04:31 AM   #14

I found the Sirius app and they have a Free trial. I see how it works. Of course it is dependant on cell service, but that may fill my needs.
Thanks,
Wm

Tags
radio