Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Question Sirius radio advice, please

My new motorhome radio is equipped to get Sirrus. Can I assume that it also has the correct antenna as well? (yes, I know what you get if you break assume down). Shasta is made by Forest River if any of you FR owners want to pipe in.

After 2 days driving thru the mountains of WY and ID and 4 days in Yellowstone NP with little to no radio service, I am ready to explore options. Any advise?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2011, 06:19 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
You will unless it is already included need a Sirius XM Connect Vehicle Tuner which will be connected and controlled by your unit radio, and in all likelihood you will have to have the antenna added.
This is likely to be less than $60 dollars and worth it in my not humble opinion.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Generllly "Sirius Radio Ready" means there is an input on the dash radio for a Sirius Radio Receiver (NOTE TO XM Ready unit owners,, Just change Sirius to XM and same applies)

You will need to find a good place for the antenna.

NOW: Many RV's have nice "Transparant" roofs when it comes to radio, so just sticking it overhead may well be enough,, (on top of the electronics in one of the compartments, in a compartment off to the side, etc) you may not need to go all the way to the roof.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #4

One suggestion, instead of opting for a permanent radio, get one of the portable versions and a couple of docking kits. That way you can move the radio from RV to house to car and enjoy sat radio where ever you are. We have two, one for DW's car and one for my truck. Both go with us when we travel and never miss our favorite music format. My truck came with Sirius free for the first year. since the free subscription expired I have disconnected it and use the antenna for my XM radio.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After spending 2 hours on the internet and a wasted call to Sirius, I think your suggestion has GREAT merit, Don. Seems there is a plan to keep DIYers from doing their own sat radio install. What suggestions does anyone have for an antenna for a portable sat radio. Most of my roof is covered by peel and stick solar panels that I doubt are satellite transparent. Since this rv is my home and only vehicle, besides the scooter, multiple docks won't be needed
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #6

Pretty simple really. Get yourself a piece of steel sheet metal maybe 6 inches square. Round the corners and remove all sharp edger. Paint one side and the edges. Then get a tube of Dicor Lap seal and glue the darn thing down to the roof. Slap the magnetic antenna that comes with the car kits to it and run the wires. I have had one on DW's car for 4 years and it has never failed to stick in place. I have one on my truck too, but it is coming off soon and am going back to the Sirius antenna that was installed at the factory. Go to Best Buy and buy yourself the radio and car kits of your choice. Personally we have the Pioneer Inno and love them. They came with a home kit and we only had to buy a couple of car kits for them. A little finagling and we have a car kit in our fiver too. They are very easy to install so don't let that scare you. Mine are connected using adapters on the car antenna. trucks took an addition of two adapters because Dodge uses some funky antenna connectors.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #7

i bought a skyfi radio from one of the radio places and it comes with a little antenna puck that was easy to mount on the roof over the windshield. i then bought several more of the car holders to transfer the radio unit from the house to other vehicles. one radio and one subscription. works good.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:31 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Pretty simple really. Get yourself a piece of steel sheet metal maybe 6 inches square. Round the corners and remove all sharp edger. Paint one side and the edges. Then get a tube of Dicor Lap seal and glue the darn thing down to the roof. Slap the magnetic antenna that comes with the car kits to it and run the wires.
Great minds think alike. That is how the Sirius antenna is attached to my fiver.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #9

I just slapped my antenna on the dash, all the way forward next to the windshield, works fine.
Samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:57 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks, Y'all! I found the tuner and a magnetic antenna on Amazon for $96 shipped. Is this something a fairly competent DIYer can do, or should I hire a pro? I'm considering mounting the antenna on the hood, next to the standard radio antenna. Good plan, or not?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]