Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Jeff - do you actually have an automatic dish? You're describing the setup for a manually aimed antenna, and as far as I can tell everything you said is correct. What you're missing is that the algorithm in the mount controller assumes that the mount is level. If the mount isn't level, it's going to have a hard time finding the correct satellite in the first place. Once it does, it can fine-tune fine without worrying about how level the mount is.

Also, skew adjustment on these dishes is also tricky. The center LNB is NOT on the horizontal centerline of the dish - these are offset dishes, so the LNB is below the centerline (and the actual aim point is above). So when the controller gets it's initial aim correct, it then has to rotate the dish to set the skew, which moves it out of the aim point and it has to correct both elevation and azimuth. And that correction again makes assumptions about the mount being level. At that point the movements are relatively small so it's probably going to be able to repeak fairly quickly.

joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #30

Yep, I bought one of the 1st sold. The algorithm is the logical search and it has no idea whatsoever where to start: Mexico, Alaska, or parked on a curb. The arc appears completely different on all 3 senerios. Once it's finds the sat it's all peaking, the search is done.

Stby.. I'm gonna try it

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
U P D A T E

OK, I went down to the coach and moved it to a level spot. I powered up the antenna and was happy to see it quickly acquire a satellite (101W), as I recall. It then went thru the process described in the Operation Manual. After about 15 minutes, the display showed "LG DTV Slimline" on the top line and " 101 110 119" on the bottom line. NOTE: no asterisks were displayed next to the satellites. As I was expecting to see the asterisks, I continued to watch the display. After a few seconds with the satellites displayed, without any user input, the antenna began the stowing/power down process.

So, after the power down was complete, I muttered a few words of disappointment and powered up the antenna again. The display showed the expected messages and entered the search mode. After 30 minutes of searching, without acquiring ANY satellite, I lost patience and powered down the antenna.

I guess the next step I plan to pursue (tomorrow) is a call to Winegard Tech Support. (1-800-788-4417).

Wish me luck!

It shouldn't be this hard.

You don't even want me to start telling you about the 26 folks at DirecTV who have all expressed their sorrow that they can't seem to grasp the concept that I need to establish an account for my motorhome (RV). That I DO NOT have or want to establish DirecTV service at my home. And that I already have an antenna installed and own a receiver.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #32

Well the good news is that is NOT the norm....

So I went over and did the test, and will NOT do that again. That's pretty scary listing almost 10 degrees.

And this is what it looks like outside:

Anyway the system went through a full search that took probably 8 mins. Once it had locked on all 3 sats, I releveled and did a restart on the dish. This time it took close to 10 mins, but the end results were exactly the same on all 3 birds.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:41 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff

So I went over and did the test, and will NOT do that again. That's pretty scary listing almost 10 degrees.
Holy Cow!

That's much worse that my storage spot.

Even that far out of level, you were able to acquire the satellites. That's impressive.

I'll spend some quality time with Wingard Tech Support tomorrow to try to solve my issue.

Thanks for going to so much trouble to try to help me!

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #34

Don't call DirecTV. Call their DNS Department at (800) 769-4635. You need to get and fill out their DNS affidavit and FAX, don't mail, the affidavit and a copy of your RV Registration to (208) 363-6444. They normally fix you up pronto.

Regular CSR's don't understand the program. It is not in their scripts.
schneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by schneid View Post
Don't call DirecTV. Call their DNS Department at (800) 769-4635. You need to get and fill out their DNS affidavit and FAX, don't mail, the affidavit and a copy of your RV Registration to (208) 363-6444. They normally fix you up pronto.

Regular CSR's don't understand the program. It is not in their scripts.
Before I can establish DNS, I need to have an account. I've never had a DirecTV account. So, I called a CSR and explained that I have an RV; I have the anttenna already installed; I have already purchased (from an authorized DirecTV reseller - Crutchfield) a receiver. All I need from DirecTV is to establish an account so that when I get the system powered up and the satellites acquired, I'll be able to activate the receiver. She said, OK and got all the necessary infor to establish my account. So far, so good. Next, she said that she'd schedule the install. I again explained that I didn't need any installation. She said, OK. Now, lets set up the installation. I repeated that I didn't need an installation. She said, OK. Now lets set up the installation. (seems like an infinite loop!) Finally, she suggested that she'd set up the installation and that I could call the installers to explain the situation. So, whe I called the installers and explained the situation, they said, "We don't do RV's. We'll cancel the install." I said OK. They said, "there, your install has been cancelled and your account has been voided." They suggested that I needed to call CSR and restart the process. Next call to CSR goes downhill quickly. CSR won't talk to me because the account has been voided. They transfer me to billing. Billing says they should'nt be talking to me because all they (billing) needs to do is refund my account start up fee; they transfer me back to CSR who starts the process all over to set up the installation at my house. Finally I'm able to talk to a supervisor who seems to understand. He explains the situation to the CSR who agrees that she'll establish the account and the won't need to schedule an installation. So, the next morning (Sunday) while I'm going out the door to church, the installer calls to let me know that he'll be there in 10 minutes to do the installation! 8 more calls, speaking to 6 more people and I hope that it's all set.

Once I get the service established, I'll work the DNS issue. I've got the application. They say that it's an additional $15/month for DNS.

Maybe I'll just count on OTA for locals when I'm out and about.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #36

better check on that receiver. You might have paid Crutcfield but I bet you don't own it. As soon as you activate it becomes a leased receiver. See if you can borrow a neigboors receiver and hook it up to your rig before you go too deep.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #37

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White
better check on that receiver. You might have paid Crutcfield but I bet you don't own it. As soon as you activate it becomes a leased receiver. See if you can borrow a neigboors receiver and hook it up to your rig before you go too deep.
Hi Perry,

At this point, DirecTV has given me multiple verbal assurances that I do own the receiver and that I'm fine to use it. The way they describe it, although I do OWN the receiver, I'll be leasing the service.

The problem is that I haven't been able to get the Winegard antenna to acquire the satellites. Unless and until at least one satellite is acquired and the LNB receives a signal from that satellite, it doesn't matter at all who owns or leases or borrows the receiver that's connected to the LNB.

At this point, I'll likely try again (when I've got some time - I'm retired, you know) to get acquisition of the signal. If that fails, I've got a nearby Winegard trained service technician. He'll be happy to help me, I'm sure.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Even if the receiver isn't activated, you can probably still hook it up and watch the signal strength screen while the Winegard is searching. Just set it to the 101 satellite and transponder 1. At least, I think that's a good transponder to use. Been so long since I did any manual aiming I'm not sure.

joe
Old 03-26-2012, 05:19 PM   #39

You know, something just crossed my mind. I hope I'm not insuring you but I learned a long not to assume facts not in evidence.... You said you're in a storage facility. You're not indoors or under a roof, are you?
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB
You know, something just crossed my mind. I hope I'm not insuring you but I learned a long not to assume facts not in evidence.... You said you're in a storage facility. You're not indoors or under a roof, are you?
"insulting", not "insuring"
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB
.... You said you're in a storage facility. You're not indoors or under a roof, are you?
No insult taken.

Outside. Completely unobstructed view of the sky.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver
Even if the receiver isn't activated, you can probably still hook it up and watch the signal strength screen while the Winegard is searching. Just set it to the 101 satellite and transponder 1. At least, I think that's a good transponder to use. Been so long since I did any manual aiming I'm not sure.

joe
Hi Joe,

I spoke with the Winegard Tech Support lady this morning. She gave me a couple of suggestions, including manually setting the antenna to search for only one satellite. I'll admit that my attention was focused on the display on the interface box, rather than watching the receiver output for signal strength. I think that I may try to set the antenna to manually search for the 101 satellite and then watch for a sognal on the signal strength screen.

I'm learning way more about how the antenna works than I intended when I bought an AUTOMATIC device.

Take care,
Stu