Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #1

Smartphone for the un-smart (i.e. idiot)

OK, you iPhone and Android and so forth users can stop reading this now. This is a case history of a smartphone idiot.

I was thinking about getting an iPod to play music and maybe try some applications. My son-in-law suggested I get a used iPhone because it would have more capabilities. I am glad he did. I got a gently used iPhone 2G for a lot less money, and I don't care that it isn't the latest and greatest. I never plan to subscribe to the phone service because I have a good basic cell phone. I do everything I want using the WiFi connection.

But I do love the touch interface and have downloaded lots of really useful apps that I use. So far, I have only paid for one app because there are so many good free ones like the one for my bank to check my activity and the credit card ones and the weather and unit conversion and eBay and Craigslist and bible and more. I can check my email and even view web pages, although slower than on a computer. My iPhone is proving to be incredibly useful, and I admit I have been a geek user in a restaurant (when WiFi is available). And I can still use it as a phone through Skype or Vopium. Using Skype in and out, I can make and receive calls although I have to leave Skype running all the time if I want to receive a call.

My point is that a used smartphone can be really useful and not cost you a big bundle, and you don't have to subscribe to the phone service if you have WiFi available. It's still a great little computer (and a music and video player and camera).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
My point is that a used smartphone can be really useful and not cost you a big bundle, and you don't have to subscribe to the phone service if you have WiFi available. It's still a great little computer (and a music and video player and camera).
two2go, I'm looking at getting one of those come January when VZ gets the iPhone in their stores.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
two2go, I'm looking at getting one of those come January when VZ gets the iPhone in their stores.
Driver.. I really LOVE my Droid from Verizon..and I think it has some great apps too!! I have an iTouch..and find that I use my Droid for everything.
Go for the Droid X!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:17 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Driver,

Take a look at the new Droid X it is very powerful and people are buying it over the i phone. I just ordered 2 and they are back ordered until August.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #5

I mentioned I got an iPhone but I would probably be happy with an android phone too. I don't want one for the phone service, just internet and I don't know if used ones are on the market at a reasonable price yet. Frankly, I hate the iTunes application on my PC. It is bloated and slow and forces you to do everything the Apple way and through their vendor pipeline. I have a cheap little MP3 music player and I can drag and drop music and audio book files directly on it and it works like a champ. Not with Apple. Everything has to be processed through the iTunes application and it can take a while.

We listen to a lot of audio books while driving along. Book files are large but I can transfer one to the MP3 player in a couple of minutes. It has taken as long as 20 minutes to get each section file through iTunes, and some books can be 8 to 12 sections. And this is on a new fast dual-core computer. But the interface is so much better on the iPhone and easier to work while driving that I just set the transfer up and go do something useful and hope the program doesn't crash.

From what I have read, the android operating system is more open spec, so I think dealing with transfers in and out from a computer would be friendlier. And no dealing with iTunes.
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Take a look at the new Droid X it is very powerful and people are buying it over the i phone. I just ordered 2 and they are back ordered until August.
Thank you for the recommendation! I appreciate it.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
Driver.. I really LOVE my Droid from Verizon..and I think it has some great apps too!! I have an iTouch..and find that I use my Droid for everything.
Go for the Droid X!!
MM, Thank you for the recommendation!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
and the winner is:

The Verizon LG Ally 3G Smartphone

SKU LG-VS740

I'm looking forward to getting to learn all about my new Droid. My GMail account is all setup and I'm ready to go.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
and the winner is:

The Verizon LG Ally 3G Smartphone

SKU LG-VS740

I'm looking forward to getting to learn all about my new Droid. My GMail account is all setup and I'm ready to go.
--> .... Check that! .... <--

.... and the winner is the Verizon LG VN250 Cosmos.

I was playing with the Ally and I just couldn't see the return on the $30.00 monthly access fee. I was also at my wits end to try and do anything on iRV2 with the Ally or any other site for that matter. Just too small and too slow. Soooo, I brought it back.

The Cosmos has a QWERTY KB and I can type and text along pretty quickly even with these stump thumbs that I have. For texting it totally rocks and beats the Motorola flip I had previously with just a keypad.

I'm still thinking about whether or not I need to setup eMail on the Cosmos.

Colleen has an Envy III and she wants a Cosmos when her contract is up. My son was trying to get me into an Envy Touch he and his DW have em'.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:51 AM   #10

Driver, you must just want basic text and email capability. The Cosmos does not have an operating system per se, so no optional applications or capabilities that I can see. But if that works for you, good for you. I agree that trying to do web surfing on the small screen is a bit trying, but it works well enough in a pinch for me.