Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #1

Sometimes I want to drop kick DISH!

If they didn't have RVers by the you know what with thier pay as you go I'd throw that blasted VIP211K out on the freeway! I actually tried today to go Direct but alas they don't "do" RV's.

So some may recall scanning for OTA channels on the 211K with the OTA hooked to the OTA port found 0 channels, hokking to TV direct found 26 or so. Dish support determined the OTA module was bad and sent me a new (Reman) 211K. Cool! I hook it up and guess what? No software installed, it has to download it from the sat. Oops that won't work, erring out when installing switch even though the Kingdome is locked on sat 110.

Ok lets call Dish again, go through all the BS with the Advanced department (RV) and guess what? They have no clue. Thier answer? Take it to a friends house with Dish or an authorized dealer to download and install software. Well no friends with Dish (for good reason i'm sure) so i call the authorized dealers Dish gave me. NOPE! we don't do that i was told!

GRRRR! Call Dish back again and explain that and suddenly it's now my hardwares fault! Gotta be a bad OTA antenna or cable. I said wait a minute we're on the software issue, "oh yeah"!

The end solution? I told them reactivate my original box, i'll just hook OTA up to the TV again and live with it! And as far as the new 211 sans software? I'll sell the blasted thing!
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Please don't tell DTV that I have it in my Rv . Actually they have an rv program. They gave me a a dish on a stand and 50' of cable that I've never used as my dish is on the roof. You can suspend coverage twice a year for a total of six months. I've always had great Cust Svc from them.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds frustrating for sure. We just hooked our 211K up yesterday, and thank goodness the software download via our KVH dome antenna went smoothly. Do you suppose someone in a campground who uses Dish could hook you up?

Also, we get the locals without input from our OTA antenna; just give them the zip code for your service address (not billing address) and they beam the locals to our receiver. Does yours not work that way?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had received great service from DISH at the stick house for the last 20 years and in the MH for the past 7 1/2 years. Just upgraded 2 receivers to the 211K and all went smoothly. I do not have pay as you go, I just have a receiver assigned to the MH.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Sounds frustrating for sure. We just hooked our 211K up yesterday, and thank goodness the software download via our KVH dome antenna went smoothly. Do you suppose someone in a campground who uses Dish could hook you up?

Also, we get the locals without input from our OTA antenna; just give them the zip code for your service address (not billing address) and they beam the locals to our receiver. Does yours not work that way?
When i say locals i'm referring to the OTA locals wherever you happen to be. As far as locals assigned by my home zip, yes i get those.

Yes someone in a campground probably could, but i have no idea who does as nobody uses a "Dish" specific dish. I'd have to start asking everyone in the place!
Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post

When i say locals i'm referring to the OTA locals wherever you happen to be. As far as locals assigned by my home zip, yes i get those.
Not sure about Dish but DTV has DNS ( distant network service ) that gives you four major networks out of either LA or NY. Local networks are offered if you give them the zip code you're in.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Yes someone in a campground probably could, but i have no idea who does as nobody uses a "Dish" specific dish. I'd have to start asking everyone in the place!
All you have to do is call the Dish RV support phone number (888-309-0370) and tell them the zip code of the area where you currently are. They will re-beam the locals to you instantly. So when you get to a campground (or back home), just call them to reset the SERVICE address... not the billing address. Problem solved.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Sarah is correct. We call every time we change locations and have them change locals for our service address. We haven't ever used our OTA antenna.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:38 PM   #9

Quote:
All you have to do is call the Dish RV support phone number (888-309-0370) and tell them the zip code of the area where you currently are. They will re-beam the locals to you instantly. So when you get to a campground (or back home), just call them to reset the SERVICE address... not the billing address. Problem solved.
Ok so maybe i should explain the circumstances better. I live 75% of the week in the MH due to work, I'm home on weekends or she's "out" to the MH instead. The S&B is in one zip code, the MH is in another 60 miles away. When you sign for pay as you go you automatically get locals for your billing address, cool i can stay in touch with "Home" news while in the MH. Using the OTA allows me to get local news where the MH is as well.

The two zones don't overlap and consequesntly it's news for two totally diferent regions. Now when on the road, sure we can call and change to locals wherever we happen to be.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have local channels at the S&B DISH Satellite and when I travel within 300 miles I still have those local channels. The 300 miles has been my max for the spot beam, now that was road miles. Air miles I'm sure was less but still at 150 or more.

I don't have a problem with OTA through the Sat, but it is a 722, not a 211K.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have Dish pay by the month in our coach and have never had a problem. We receive all the local channels I in the areas we are in.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DirecTV actually DOES do RV's. just not HD with your dome.

Suggestion.. Feed the OTA antenna direct to the TV and feed the VIP to tv via HDMI or Component video.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
DirecTV actually DOES do RV's. just not HD with your dome.

Suggestion.. Feed the OTA antenna direct to the TV and feed the VIP to tv via HDMI or Component video.
That's exactly what I do to a T, reason for going through the oat port on 211K is it has a signal strength meter and you can't see a menu guide when hooked to tv. Why not use free when you can right?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
That's exactly what I do to a T, reason for going through the oat port on 211K is it has a signal strength meter and you can't see a menu guide when hooked to tv. Why not use free when you can right?
I am with you...use free when you can.
And, I hate it when electronics don't work right too!
So sorry that the new 211k's have not been working for you.

Like you said, using the ViP-211k's internal OTA tuner is nice with the signal meter and program guide info on-screen with all the other channels.

Though not the problem here, there has also been a trend of complaints on iRV2 that some ViP-211k's are arriving in the mail with bad RF modulators so they don't produce the channel 3 or 4 as it should...only working on composite and HDMI outputs.

Did you say that the authorized Dish dealers will NOT help? All you need to do is to hook up to a fixed dish to get the ReMan unit to download the update...should take less than 10 minutes. Surely a dealer would let you hook-up for little or no fee.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish