RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #1

Sony TVs won't stay in Wide View status

I have 3 Sony TVs in my 2015 Dutch Star and with most stations there is about a 6" blank border on each side of the picture. Don't know when this started but just noticed it a few weeks ago.
On each TV I can go to Settings, then Picture & Display, then Screen. It has defaulted to Full but I have a choice of Normal (not as full screen as Full), Zoom, or Wide Zoom. I've been selecting Wide Zoom for a full screen picture, but everytime the TV is turned off the next time it's right back to Full, which has the bare spaced down each side of the screen.

Am I doing something wrong to not be able to keep a full screen picture? Also, on Wide Zoom the Guide screen is so wide it hides the channel number as I scroll through to see what's playing. The wide screen is nice but the wide Guide screen isn't.

Any suggestions on how to keep the wide screen and why the Guide is too wide. I'm using Directv satellite if this makes any difference.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2019, 08:05 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Standard definition programming is the root cause and the TVs are working as designed. So, where is your programming coming from? Directv with a dome? Campground cable?

Hook yourself up to a HD source and take a look at the difference.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #3

I have Vizio TVs and DirecTv and I know that in my case the DTV signal is usually fine for 'Normal' picture size. Where I have to use Zoom is with some stations that show old movies and then often OTA stations have a weird size. But in my case, I have a key on the remote labeled 'Wide'. I press that and 4 choices pop up: Stretch, Normal, Zoom, Wide. Select one of those and press enter. It's quick and easy.

Because of that, it's not much trouble to select the best picture with a Vizio.

Now, on your Sony. Sounds annoying. Mine doesn't reset like that, it has the same resolution and pic size I left it at..have you read the manual and checked to see if that's some weird 'feature' or setting that was checked accidently?

Right off hand I'm not sure exactly what the problem might be with your Sony and if it were mine, I would do a google search of those symptoms to see if anyone else has run into it. I would tend to think it's a setting in the TVs menu that got set or unset inadvertently. Maybe check to see if it has a 'Reset to factory defaults' like the Vizio does. I've had to use that several times with mine because I forget what changes I've made.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:34 PM   #4

I use Dish Network and had a similar issue with my Sony. Picture shrunk and when I zoomed in the Guide was so large part of it was off screen. I found the issue was only with Dish and not with OTA or DVD. A Dish tech walked me through all the settings for Dish and it did not fix the problem. He said the problem was with a TV setting, I thought yea right. Anyway I kept at it and found it was a TV setting on the HDMI 1 input. How or when it got changed I do not know. Possibly in a recent update.
Hope this helps, good luck.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #5

I'm with Directv satellite using a roof mounted Winegard Trav'ler dish for my reception.
All my problem must be with HDMI 1 since HDMI 2 is deep shaded on my menu selection for TV (cable or antenna), DVD, or satellite. Not much choice.
I'll just keep playing with this and maybe, just maybe, I'll stumble onto an answer.
When I have selected Wide Zoom then Select I've been using the Return button on the remote to get back to the picture. Today I tried the Home button on the remote to get back to the picture. We'll see if this locks in the Wide Zoom or just more button pushing.
Appreciate all the responses, hopefully something will click. Thanks.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:22 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Check your settings on your Directv receiver. Is your receiver set to 480, 720, or 1080 dpi picture quality? Same with the picture settings on your TVs. I would set both to 720 and see if things don't settle down.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #7

Not sure about your Sony's features but with many manufacturers a 'deep shade' means that feature was/is an option that wasn't installed on your model. A light gray shading means that the feature is there, but there isn't any active device plugged into it. You'd see that with HDMI because the TV and the device that's plugged in to the HDMI port would talk to each other. Handshake.

At least that's how it typically is with most equipment I've played with.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #8

Using the Home button instead of the Return button to get back to the picture after selecting Wide Zoom made no difference on how long Wide Zoom lasted. I begin to think all this high tech stuff in this coach is out to get me.