Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

Sound system

Our Fleetwood Bounder does not have an entertainment centre. It has the dash am/fm radio which plays through two speakers in the ceiling, and a 27" Panasonic CRT TV. I'm not sure if it plays through the ceiling speakers or not. (Just bought the coach and have not gone through everything as yet.
I would like to have an AM/FM radio and DVD/CD/Amplifier unit for the coach. A friend of mine upgraded his TV in the house, and gave me his 32" LCD Samsung TV as payment to help him set up his new TV and aid him and his wife with various computer/internet help. Very nice. So that is a good start. I would like to have a better sound system along with the AM/FM/DVD/CD unit.
Any suggestions?
Bruce
Bruceeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #2

Way too many options available. It all comes down to how many $$$ you want to spend along with what kind of sound you want out of it. It's always better to get a head unit and separate amp for sound quality. Like I said, way too many options.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #3

I tried an integrated units like this Samsung Home Theater system because it had AM/FM/BluRay + speakers in one. These systems also have HDMI inputs that allow you to connect a DISH or DirecTV receiver, etc for surround sound.

However, I wanted better speakers and bought Boston Acoustics speakers and a better AV receiver like this, Marantz 1403, which is a fairly short receiver ideal for RVs.

If you opt for these type of components, make sure the cabinet you place them in is well-ventilated. I used fans from www.coolerguys.com.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #4

Thanks for your interesting input. More fodder for the reference files. Once I know exactly what I have, (or not have) I can get serious.
Thanks again.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We took out our dash unit and the 4 - 4.5 inch speakers. I replaced the dash unit with a Pioneer, iPod/iPhone/CD/MP3 single C.D.with Bluetooth. We put in 4 new 6.5" 3-way Pioneer speakers 300 watt and a powered Yamaha Sub-woofer on the floor on the passenger side it fits almost completely under dash. Sounds awesome. Could probable blow out the windows
Sounds so nice, from Andrea Bocelli to the Bee Gees to Tina, I also have a Powered Yamaha sound bar for the 32"smart TV that sits on the doghouse while in the CG
Just Awesome, Can't wait to get her on the road to give a good test.
tb
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:06 PM   #6

Sounds (pun intended) great. Congratulations on an awesome installation. A bit more than I'm looking for. But what a fantastic wish list!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #7

Bruceeb - Go to where you can audition speakers. Find some that are pleasing to your ears and work back from there. Speakers are a very personal choice, that is why there are so many different makers. Good sounding ones to you do not have to cost a lot of money. Where we are 2,000 miles south of you Fry's electronics floors lots of speakers of all prices so you can hear before you buy. In my opinion solid state amps and receivers all sound the same. I like Yamaha, but Sony is good too. Avoid anything Pioneer.

There are lots of moderate cost "box" sets that have amp and speakers. Just make sure you listen to it before buying.

I have recently bought a small speaker system made by TDK. It has amazing stereo sound out of a small package. It has a built in amp and can run plugged in or off batteries. And it can operate either plugged into the sound source or blue tooth. I paid about 125 for it from Amazon. Amazingly good sound for the size/price. If you want me to look up the model pm me.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:05 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
And why not Pioneer? I have always believed and was lead to believe that Pioneer was around the top. So far I think it sounds great. speakers and all. I would have gotten a Yamaha system but I didn't have the big bucks. I'm happy and that's all that concerns us.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #9

I should not have said what I did about Pioneer Electronics. It only reflects that I have had two pieces of gear in the last 40 years from them that I was unhappy with. So please accept my apology and I would like to withdraw my comment. It all goes back to a high end receiver I had in the 1970's. It had a defect that no one seemed to be able to fix. But in fairness that is a long time ago.

On the other hand my Country Coach has a combo radio - back up screen. You push a button and the screen comes out. It is 12 years old and works fine, it is a Pioneer.

As far as overall quality of equipment you should look at someone like Consumer Reports who do that for a living. Mine was only two issues over a long period of time.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put a DVD=AM-FM- 5.1 system in my coach a while back you can go to QT's # 1 & 2 and items #1 and # 2.
May give you some idea's.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No problem your entitled to a opinion. Sorry you had problems back then Bummer
We tried a new Boss System but when the 7" screen came out and then up it hit the dash and stopped so we had to return it and I picked out the Pioneer, honestly just going by a name brand. Most of my components in the S&B is by Yamaha. Best of luck with what ever you decide on.
tb