Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Microsoft Spyware has taken oven on a older Dell laptop that I use on occasion. I have gone to control panel and removed it with no avail. It wants to do a scan and give me a one month trial use. I tell it no and it scans anyway. I no longer show it under programs but it still keeps coming up. I can hardly use the laptop anymore. Any ideas on how to remove ?
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Try PC Tools to rid yourself of the pest.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #3

OR, you could try this site.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/
Dolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #4

I like Spybot Search & Destroy.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:37 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Will these programs remove Spyware Guard 2009 from MSN? It is being generated from MSN Security Center.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:40 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by diandtom:
Will these programs remove Spyware Guard 2008 from MSN? It is being generated from MSN Security Center.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Quote:
Spyware Guard 2009
It is NOT from Microsoft... or MSN. It IS spyware and several places tell you how to remove it.. Just Google it!
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #8

It's not Microsoft or MSN but rather a program that you downloaded or allowed to be downloaded. If this is the same software I have heard talked about in the past, you are in big trouble. Follow the instructions for removal exactly once you have the correct information. Do not use the Restore function as it is in there as well. You are going to need to turn off the Restore function to get it out of there, clear this spyware (virus) and then start the restore anew once you are certain that you computer is clean.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Bill, This problem started after I took it to a friend to see why the wireless card was not working very well, almost not working. I wonder if I could use a disk scrubber that I have and reload windows into it ? I got a new wireless card off of Ebay.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #10

I once got an unwanted program on my laptop that caused lots of headaches. I used the search feature to find any files with the name of the problem, then deleted them all(they were put in the deleted items folder), so I could have put them back if I fouled up anything. Once I removed those files I ran Spybot to remove any orphan files remaining. Then ran Malwarebytes to find any deeper spyware.

Worked for me, but you're on your own using my "method".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #11

I like to use Revo Uninstaller for "good" programs but I have no idea if it will work for you spyware. You might give it a try.
If that doesn't work (and I suspect it won't as this is a nasty one) you need to follow the information available on the internet for the removal of this thing. You "can" wipe your computer clean and re-install Windows but you will quickly find out that there were a lot of things there you wish you had not lost.
I would take that step as a very last resort and I would recommend taking the computer to a professional if necessary before I would recommend reloading Windows.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote