Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2016, 10:31 AM   #1

Staying connected

Hello everyone, I'm relatively new here on the forum and am seeking some information in regards to staying connected while traveling. What exactly does that mean, my wife works from home and needs an Internet connection the entire 6 to 8 hours she's working. However we would like to start traveling in our new motorhome and are looking for a way for her to stay constantly connected so she can work on the road. We know that when we finally land at whatever park we intend to stay at will probably have a network connection there, so it's just the times while traveling. I should also probably mentioned that most of her work is done on the Internet, so she doesn't need a real robust connection because she's not moving heavy files. If anyone has done anything like this we would sure like to know how you took care of this situation so we can break the house strings and get on the road.
Thank you very much and I look forward to whatever answers you can provide.
Uhrlto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhrlto View Post
Hello everyone, I'm relatively new here on the forum and am seeking some information in regards to staying connected while traveling. What exactly does that mean, my wife works from home and needs an Internet connection the entire 6 to 8 hours she's working. However we would like to start traveling in our new motorhome and are looking for a way for her to stay constantly connected so she can work on the road. We know that when we finally land at whatever park we intend to stay at will probably have a network connection there, so it's just the times while traveling. I should also probably mentioned that most of her work is done on the Internet, so she doesn't need a real robust connection because she's not moving heavy files. If anyone has done anything like this we would sure like to know how you took care of this situation so we can break the house strings and get on the road.
Thank you very much and I look forward to whatever answers you can provide.
Many, if not most, cellular providers offer either "tethering" options with their smartphones and data plans, or actual WIFI "hotspots". These would let you set up your own private WIFI network in your motorhome. As you say, it won't be fast, but it will be workable (at least to the extent of your cellular provider's coverage area). For example, we use Consumer Cellular, which offers "tethering" with iPhones (but not with Androids).

There are several excellent threads here on the IRV2 forums on how to then set up your own private WIFI network, too. Although that might not be directly applicable to your situation.

Roger
Old 04-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We do the same thing with a online business. We just signed up for internet access with Unlimitedville. We get unlimited internet with no throttling and no cap. The cost is $50.00 a month with a 2 year contract. Need to be a business with a EIN. Tou can do a no contract plan for $150 month.

We are running 32mb down and 14mb up with a 30ms ping right now.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Staying connected

I use an iPhone 6 as a wifi hotspot to connect my laptop and tablet through Verizon. Great service and excellent coverage even in remote areas but Verizon is not a discount phone provider. I find their quality of Verizon service is worth the premium price, other folks prefer the discount providers. It's up to you what it's worth to you, though if your wife needs it for work that along might make it worth the extra $20.

I always try to connect to the campground wifi, but often it's so slow, or weak that I just switch back to Verizon using my iPhone as the hotspot. You can adjust the amount of data as you need it.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wife and I both have iPhones with mobile hotspots. Hers is 6 gigs a month. Mine is 5 gigs. We also have a mifi device with 12 gigs. All are through Sprint. With unlimited phone data, texts, roaming etc it all comes in to around $300/month. When not in an LTE area speeds are not what we would wish.

If it is that important that you stay connected wherever you travel then satellite is the way to go. A Winnegard Slimline Tr'vlr with a "bird on the wire" may be a possibility. If it is for business you may be able to right off the cost.

Speaking of which are you planning to attempt to write off a portion of your rv for business? If so, there are lots of threads and the I.R.S. can be pretty particular.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:08 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
We do the same thing with a online business. We just signed up for internet access with Unlimitedville. We get unlimited internet with no throttling and no cap. The cost is $50.00 a month with a 2 year contract. Need to be a business with a EIN.
With what wireless carrier are you connected?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:14 PM   #7

I had a Verizon MiFi unit when on our boat cruising the ICW from FL to MD. It uses Verizon's cellular network and we had no trouble connecting anywhere. 4 gig per month is about $50 and depending on the MiFi unit, it will connect up to 10 different users. The MiFi units can be had for < $30 on ebay.

I will say though that Verizon's customer services is a little iffy. It took me 4 tries for them to disconnect the service. Once home we no longer needed it.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We use Verizon and my iphone for a hotspot. It can get a little spendy if you use a lot but we buy what we need and if we run out we add more. The service is excellent.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Cradlepoint router (provisioned on the Verizon cellular network) and a Weboost Drive 4G-X signal booster. It all on the 12 volt side of things - so if we're rolling anywhere there's Verizon cellular service - we've got internet connectivity. When parked, I typically have a couple of laptops powered up and connected. When rolling, it's usually just an iPad (which in my case is "WIFI only" - i.e., no cell service on the iPad itself). The iPad connects via WiFi to the router - and uses cellular access from there. On our recent Florida trip - we drove the "east route" from Michigan to Ft. Piece - passing thru Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia on the way there and a more westerly route (Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana) on the way back. To the best of my knowledge - we never dropped our cell connection anywhere along our route. We seemed to have Google Maps and or Facebook (as well as a handful of other apps) running constantly when we were in motion.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:18 PM   #10

Staying connected

Phone service Internet can be very expensive. For 5G per month with Verizon, we can only check emails and surf the net a little. And it seems the faster the speed, the more data is used for the same things. Campground wifi is notoriously bad. Many times you can only get it in the office. If you are rolling down the road and there is no cell service, you will not be able to use the mifi (hotspot).
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #11

[QUOTE=Uhrlto;3017814 We know that when we finally land at whatever park we intend to stay at will probably have a network connection there,

Do not count on it working all day or being any faster then a 14.4 aol dial up connection from way back in the day. Slow, slow slow.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I see you're based just north of me (I'm in Carson City). If most of your traveling is in the west I would recommend obtaining a plan on the Verizon network as they seem to have the best coverage. Although we have also made a few trips to Alabama via different routes, and the coverage was excellent.

You might want to go to a Verizon store and explain your needs and see what they recommend.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Get a really good data plan. My DH works on the road a lot and he uses his company data plan. I'm able to get on the internet using his hot-spot. We never use campground wifi. His works much better.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #14

[QUOTE=jbrv;3018479][QUOTE=Uhrlto;3017814 We know that when we finally land at whatever park we intend to stay at will probably have a network connection there,

Do not count on it working all day or being any faster then a 14.4 aol dial up connection from way back in the day. Slow, slow slow.[/QUOTE]

WiFi systems in parks are typically not designed to do work from your RV. It's not designed to do any streaming. It's designed for quick web searches and email. You need to have your own system to work from the RV.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote