RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Strange Direct TV issue

We have a new RV and I recently installed a fixed SWM sat dish on the rear ladder of the rig. Coach was already wired for sat so I only had to install a SWM splitter, make my connections and aim the dish. All went well and we had 98% signal strength.

Everything worked fine for two days then one receiver flashed the 771 lost signal message. That would cycle between 775 and 771. I reset that receiver but it would not download sat data since it kept showing loss of signal.

Nothing had been disturbed with sat dish or cabling. My other receiver continued to work fine. I did a test on the suspect receiver and it said no SWM detected. I called DTV and actually got someone I could understand named Jay. He had me do a few things but eventually decided he needed to send a tech. When I told him my address (campground address) he said he could not send a tech to any address other than the account address. So we decided that since my issue was with this one receiver and it was pretty old, he would send me a new receiver.

Interesting that the very next morning I turned on the suspect receiver just to see if it would work and it did and has been working fine for the past 24 hours. Go figure.

Any experts here have any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #2

I too have a satellite dish mounted on a tripod located outside the RV. I set up and break down at each campground. Someone I get the unable to detect the SWM message. That tells me the connections between the receiver and dish are suspect. I check all connections are right and if it persists I try swapping different cables. Just keep looking and there are not a lot of components to check and swap out.
Happy trails

In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #3

Just also went thru this......next time tell them you have 2 homes and your at your winter home......they sent me an H24 receiver with the wrong access card for that receiver...they tried to fix what they could from their end, but no love.....so they sent a tech out......he discovered the access card problem, and lucky for me, he had a H25 receiver on his truck, think it was a unit he used as a setup tool, so he set that one up and it works......I also just got a SWM dish, thru SatPro.....look up their web site and there's a manual there on setting one up.....I'm using the H25 for the outside tv, and use it when aiming the dish with the outside tv sitting there and using the meters on it.....also have Satfinder Pro app.....And I've had better luck using the CHAT option....you can understand it!!!.....lol.....just use campgrounds street address, and site number as an apt number
Old 01-23-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked all the cables, connections, etc. Nothing has moved or been disturbed since my initial set up after which everything worked fine.

We will only be using this 5th wheel at the same RV park in Myrtle Beach so that is why I attached the dish to the ladder. Regardless of which site I am on, the rear of the rig will always face south. The aiming process was easy. I can see the living room TV with signal meter through the rear window of the coach.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:25 AM   #5

Tech had to reboot this one 3 times to get it to work, but has been fine now since Saturday...like you, I'm here in Yuma, so once set up, it's all good..if they're sending you another receiver, hope you have good luck with it.....my new one came with the wrong access card.....
Old 01-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #6

I don't know how your system is wired, but there are several "approved" ways to install the PI for a SWM lnb. I have seen issues when the PI is installed on the power passing port on the splitter. It's much less likely to cause issues if installed in the line between the LNB and the first splitter. This is especially true if you are using an H25 receiver.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:29 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I don't know how your system is wired, but there are several "approved" ways to install the PI for a SWM lnb. I have seen issues when the PI is installed on the power passing port on the splitter. It's much less likely to cause issues if installed in the line between the LNB and the first splitter. This is especially true if you are using an H25 receiver.
I have no power inserter. I have the HR54 receiver/recorder and it sends power to the LNB via the power pass thru port on the splitter.
System is still working fine today.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:25 AM   #8

If there are trees or another object in the way you will get the 771 message. After almost 3 years of trying to figure it out, we saw a post that said to leave the receiver box off until the satillite found the signal. Then turn on the receiver. It has worked every time since, with the exception of parking where there are trees.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Update:

Well I have read other threads where folks have had difficulties with Direct TV now that they are owned by AT&T. I've not had problems but have now been subjected to their absolute business idiocy.

As noted early in this thread, the tech support guy I talked to first agreed to send a replacement receiver to me at the campground in Myrtle Beach. We never got the receiver but did get a text saying the tech would be at my home in Virginia today between noon and 4pm. So I called Direct and asked they why they were sending a tech to my home when I had told them I was 360 miles away in SC, and tech support promised to send a receiver to me where I was. This guy apologized, took the address info for my current location and said he would send a receiver and I would get it next week. I insisted that they send it overnight since they had screwed up. He said he could not authorized that. I then asked to speak to a supervisor so he put me on hold for 30 minutes . No one ever answered. So I called back and finally got a nice woman who spoke great English located along the Gulf Coast. She got me a supervisor.

The supervisor was nice but very clear that he could not send a receiver to my current location. Their new 'system' would only allow him to send it to my account address. In fact, he said a receiver was on its way to my home in VA now. When I asked him how that would help my current situation when I was in SC and would be until March 1, he had no answer. I asked him to be honest with me and tell me if he thought this made any real sense and he agreed it did not, but said the 'system' was running all their processes now and had no other alternatives.

I asked him if I ordered a receiver from Solid Signal on my dime, would Direct activate it when I got it? He said they would.

He did agree to credit my account for the $19.99 shipping fee they charged to send the receiver to my home address.

This is a fine example of a lumbering giant of a company that refuses to empower their employees to do common sense customer service.
Old 01-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #10

Did you read what it took me to get a receiver?....and how I got one?