Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #1

Stumped Satellite Starter-Upper

Last Summer we bought '03 Winnebago DP with a satellite dome but no receiver box. DW thinks we should have the system operational for travels this summer, so I cancelled Comcast, signed with DirecTV, and smuggled one of the boxes out to the coach (just as the installer suggested). The dome is a King 9630 and I'm in Florida....set box for satellite 101, set transponder at 19, set angle at 51, aim the dome left then right....can't get a signal. Keep getting a 1E error message on the controller (bad coax connection)

Ran a coax directly from the dome, through the window and to the receiver box....same drill, same deal, same error message. Bought a Satellite Signal Meter from Radio Shack, tried the dome, nothing....borrowed a free standing dish from a friend, waved it all over the place, up, down, left, right....nothing. I know I'm doing something stupid but I don't know what. My wife has started suggesting I hire a professional (No! Not that!) so panic is setting in. I'm open to any ideas. Thanks
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #2

Are you sure you have the correct LNB setup for your directv box?
adlerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:10 PM   #3

I'm ashamed to say I don't even know what you are talking about.....
Old 02-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Call DTV, they will "walk" you through the setup. They have helped me many times.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
When I've had trouble with mine, and before I call them, I usually can get it "fixed" by unplugging the head unit, wait 60 seconds, then pressing the reset button. Wait an additional 60 seconds then power it up. 6 out of 10 times that usually keeps me from having to call. Good Luck.
Old 02-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #6

Make sure you are connecting coax from dish to the Sat in not to ant in?? on the receiver!!
Don/Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #7

I'm connected properly to the box....I've run a cable directly from the dome (main coax output) to the receiver (sat in).....I still get the 1E message signifying a bad coax connection
Old 02-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #8

But will they do this knowing I've moved the box from my home to my coach?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Marinelender,
Ron & Dee make a good point. Do you have a Direct TV received? The dome, once programmed, will find and point to the correct satellite with or with out the receiver (this is a KVH statement).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinelender View Post
But will they do this knowing I've moved the box from my home to my coach?
If you are still at home I don't think it should matter. If the box worked in the house and you have the same kind of antenna for the MH as you do for the house it should work.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #11

Ron...The box worked in the house but I can't get it to "see" the dome on the coach or the borrowed dish....I'm frustrated because I've got a feeling this is going to turn out to be something really simple when I get to the "Ah Ha" moment
Old 02-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinelender
Ron...The box worked in the house but I can't get it to "see" the dome on the coach or the borrowed dish....I'm frustrated because I've got a feeling this is going to turn out to be something really simple when I get to the "Ah Ha" moment
I have DISH not DTV, but there probably something equivalent when you switch antenna types. It's called "check switch" in DISH terms. You need to run a "check switch" when switching from a dual LNB (at home) to a single LNB (RV dome) dish. Look through your receiver setup menus.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinelender View Post
Then if the antenna is the same and hooked up the same it should work.

The DTV antenna I had for portable use was the easiest to aim and get a signal.

I just had standard DTV nothing fancy and it was very easy to set up. As soon as my dish contract ends I will go back to DTV because it is much easier to use.

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm in Upstate SC, 3 miles from GA, I have a DTV receiver (older unit that uses the one bird) and can test it for you.

It is possible your dome is defective, more likely though that there is some other issue...

For example for a while I thouht MY dome was deffective,,, Then I found out the receiver was at fault.. swpped it for another and the thing worked like magic.