Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2011, 12:09 PM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Suggestions for where to place wireless temp sensor

I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer that uses a wireless sensor for the outside temp. I stuck it on the back of the coach, thinking it less likely to get blown off on the hiway, but the sun heats it up

I considered inside a compartment, but fear false readings there as well. Anyone found the perfect placement?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #2

I am not sure this would be PERFECT - but I have placed ours in the intake screen of one of the Max Air Vent covers on the roof. It's close enough to be picked up by the unit inside, in the airflow, out of direct sunlight and should give us a reasonable temp.

Some issues - you have to climb on the rough to change the battery and temp might not be accurate - IF the fantastic fan is running at the time.

Good Luck..
amarzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #3

Places not to use, not next to the propane tanks they get cold when the furnace is running giving a false reading, if you have a heated underbelly/tanks not near it/them you can get a false reading. Somewhere out of sun and other heat/cold sources which I have not found one that is always good yet, sun the blacktop gives high afternoon readings. Just pick one a know that sometimes it is going to be off. A North wall would be good but that changes every time we move ;<)

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #4

I have mine stuck on under the slide so it's in the shade.It's only exposed when the slide is out.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #5

I have use a space under the rocker panel on a class C which seem to give pretty good readings. My class A's had them built in, they were pretty accurate until stopped driving, then heat build up would affect them for about an hour.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The propane tank any bracket on/near the propane tank. It is well ventelated, and shielded from the Sun.

I also mounted one on the tank for the jacks on my gasser (that is up front I put the tank between the engine and the sensor so it read incoming air) Alas, disaster struck that one. It got smashed.

I have one in the battery compartment too.. Just for fun.. I had a lot of issues with this sensor and I can access that well vented compartment from inside when resets are needed.. I'm going to move it back to the propane tank area.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #7

I tried a few different locations before also settling on under the slide, seems to work good there.
srydve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srydve View Post
I tried a few different locations before also settling on under the slide, seems to work good there.
Alas, I have no slides. What about inside the aluminium rear bumper?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:18 AM   #9

External Temp Sensor

I may not have the best location either, but I put mine in the utility bay where the water and plumbing hookups are located. I did this so that I could ensure the tanks and water connections don't get below freezing when traveling from home to Florida in the winter. I also figured that since there is an opening in this compartment for the sewer connection when staying in a site that the temp in the compartment would be similar to the outside temp. In addition, the sensor is protected from the sun. For me this has worked well.
Dmlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I keep mine in the propane bay. It's still exposed to the ambient temperature and out of the sun. To keep it in place I put Velcro on the flat surface near the shutoff valve.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I mounted one up on the wall in the propane bay and another one in the wet bay. They do vary in readings particularly when the furnace is on supplying heat to the wet bay.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #12

I put mine alongside the house door so that it's easily accessible and under the awning. The manufacturer says the sensor isn't rugged enough to stay on the outside while driving, so I can easily pop it out of the bracket to bring it in before we hit the road.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where?

I placed ours on the bottom of the drivers side side view mirror with velcro. It worked very well there but last week in a heavy wind storm on a bumpy road it flew away not to be seen ever again. Next time I'll place the new one in the same place but attach it better.
Have fun!
Milt
Old 06-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #14

Try putting it inside the engine compartment close to the grill if you have a gas engine. I have ours mounted on top of a bracket that holds the headlight in place & the reading is pretty close to actual outside temp.

Vehicles that come equipped with one usually have theirs mounted right behind the grill.