Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Sure Guard trips when plugging in at home...?

After being parked in a storage lot for a month and having a new drive poured for our new baby, we finally had decent weather to bring her home today.

After getting her positioned and running the genset for about an hour I decided to plug into shore power. I connected the 50 to 30 amp converter to the coach power and then ran an extension cord with a 15 to 30 amp converter on it to the coach and plugged it in....the Sure Guard tripped and my gfi tripped in the house...I thought I could plug in and just run the minimum, the inverter and the fridge and a few other things.

What am I doing wrong...what should I be doing?
TxRVMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #2

The first question I will ask is how long is the extension cord? The line loss is substantial over 20 feet. Also if your rig has a 50/30/20 setting for power input, it should be on the 20 amp setting.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #3

I think it could be the GFCI. Try a standard outlet.
petehami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:39 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzyblueye View Post
The first question I will ask is how long is the extension cord? The line loss is substantial over 20 feet. Also if your rig has a 50/30/20 setting for power input, it should be on the 20 amp setting.
I'm about 25'...don't think I have a power input setting, where would that be?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by petehami View Post
I think it could be the GFCI. Try a standard outlet.
I'm not plugged into a GFCI, but it's connected to them i guess.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #6

RVs frequently trip a GFCI outlet for a variety of reasons - that you won't be able to fix on the RV side.
1) Try a non-GFCI outlet.
2) If the SurgeGuard is tripping it sure sounds like voltage loss. How long is your extension cord and is it at least 12 ga? To start, turn refer off or on LP, turn inverter charger "power share" option to 5amp (this will limit the charger draw), turn off all lights, make sure any elec water heater and HVAC are all off, and then try bring back on line again. You can add loads as you watch the voltage. <105v or so and you'll run into trouble again.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #7

What gfi are you referring to in the OP?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
What gfi are you referring to in the OP?
I have a plug outside, it's not a GFCI plug, but when it gets overloaded, it trips my GFCI inside the garage that has about three other plugs on it.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRVMan View Post
I have a plug outside, it's not a GFCI plug, but when it gets overloaded, it trips my GFCI inside the garage that has about three other plugs on it.
I would bet it feeds all the others in the location including the one you are plugged into. Most garage and outside receptacles will be GFCI. You need to find one that doesn't feed from a GFCI.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I would bet it feeds all the others in the location including the one you are plugged into. Most garage and outside receptacles will be GFCI. You need to find one that doesn't feed from a GFCI.
Alrighty! Found a non-gfi plug and plugged in and voila...I'm good! Thank you RV experts! My wife is amazed at how fast we got help...I told her that this is the best website around!

Now to get the out side plug converted!

You guys rock!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
When having some electric stuff done at the house I
had a separate circuit put in for the RV.
Unfortunately for me there is no man land to park it other than over night.
quadnkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRVMan View Post
GFCI outlets do not necessarly have a GFCI in them. they can be "Down line" from a GFCI device, and that ... Is exactly what you have.. My former Music Director (I sing in choir) lost power to nearly all his garage.. Turns out the GFCI was on the back of the house... Took the two of us nearly an hour to track it, He had been looking for days by then.

The Sure Guard may be tripping when the GFCI looses power. It will trip if the voltage is too low, or too high or (I think) some other conditions are out of range (however those conditions will NOT be out of range on mains power so we can ignore them)

Figuring out what is tripping the GFCI starts with your circuit breaker box.

TURN ALL BREAKERS OFF

Does it still trip the GFCI (odds are no)

Turn the MAIN breaker back on,, then one at a time turn on other breakers. If possible start with one that feeds a NON INVERTER outlet. Plug a lamp into it, turn the lamp on, When you see the light you know you have power.

Then turn on breaker after breaker. When the light goes out .. Tell us which breaker tripped it (how it is labeled)