Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2017, 04:49 AM   #1

Surveillance system for RV

Hey!

I'm a newbie here. I recently bought a 2017 Gulf Stream Conquest 6316 (nicknamed "Fat White Truck" by my 4-year-old). It took me a while to make up my mind but it is totally worth it. My parents, wife and more importantly, my kids love it! When they saw it the first time, they were yelling, "Look, Mommy! Dad bought a huge ice cream truck".

Since it has already become a part our family, I was thinking about giving this baby some extra protection. I intend to install a portable security system. Does anyone have experience using alarm systems from Canadian Security Professionals? It seems that their system lets you monitor activity around the RV from your smartphone. That would be amazing. Also, there are extra sensors which are optional add-ons. So, does anyone know?

There's still a lot of work to be done on the fat white truck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Alex! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Most folks don't feel the need for elaborate security systems in their RV's. I just bought a simple door alarm for the entry door. This is the one I got.

Low-cost alarm system!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
how are alerts sent from the detectiors & cameras to your smart phone? if you're planning to use the campground wifi you may find that unworkable.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi Alex! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Most folks don't feel the need for elaborate security systems in their RV's. I just bought a simple door alarm for the entry door. This is the one I got.

Low-cost alarm system!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Thank you and God bless!

Quote:
how are alerts sent from the detectiors & cameras to your smart phone? if you're planning to use the campground wifi you may find that unworkable.
I'm assuming there might be a dedicated application for that or maybe it's just the regular SMS alerts. Why wouldn't the WiFi extender work?
Old 09-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_mercer View Post
Thank you and God bless!

I'm assuming there might be a dedicated application for that or maybe it's just the regular SMS alerts. Why wouldn't the WiFi extender work?
campground wifi can be very slow at times, especially in the morning and evening. SMS alerts are one thing, video from cameras are quite another.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:58 AM   #6

So, would there be an alternative to campground wifi?
Old 09-23-2017, 04:58 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Surveillance system for RV

Yes , your own stand alone hotspot. $$$
I have a internet camera ( dropcam) in the coach connected to our own internal WiFi that uses campground or hotspot to work. When we leave the coach for a few days The first few times, we left it to fly home or whatever the campground WiFi would dump the feed after a few hours or a day , a regular event with campgrounds, it wouldn’t reconnect by itself. I solved the problem with a internal hotspot on a timer to reset / restart 2times a day just in case it drops
The big point is cameras use lots of data mine is set to message me and turn on with movement nothing more and of course I can log in and look , turning the camera feed on myself anytime I want .
Definitely overkill as I’ve never noticed or had a problem ( other that the camera going down and unable to fix until I return) it works now but I wouldn’t waste the time and money in the future.

BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote