Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2018, 05:38 AM   #1

Switch from Directv to Dish?

Early next year when my discounts run out for Directv I will be looking for cheaper/better options again. I currently have a Directv HR44 and a HR24 for my S&B and I take the HR24 with me on trips to use with my Winegard Trav'ler. I want to have at least the same setup that I have now with 7 tuners. Having more tuners would be a plus and if I could get 4K it would be another plus.

From what I understand there is a kit for about $300 to change out the Winegard dish on the motorhome. But will I have the correct cabling to do the switch? I had Newmar install the Directv dish and cabling for it. I could do the dish change out, but I don't know about running additional cabling.

What receivers would work equally or better than what I have now both in the S&B and the motorhome? By taking the HR24 on trips it limits me to two tuners. I don't know if Dish has anything that would give me more tuners. With Directv I can only have one "Genie" that has 5 tuners. If it makes any difference I have two cables run to both of my TV's from the dish location in the S&B. I plan on taking one of the S&B receivers with me from the S&B for trips like I do now with Directv (if possible).

To complicate things for me with Dish is the discussion of Eastern vs Western arc LNB's. I have no idea what is what for my area in South Alabama, but what I would need for traveling the United States.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2018, 08:33 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
What receivers would work equally or better than what I have now both in the S&B and the motorhome? By taking the HR24 on trips it limits me to two tuners. I don't know if Dish has anything that would give me more tuners. With Directv I can only have one "Genie" that has 5 tuners. If it makes any difference I have two cables run to both of my TV's from the dish location in the S&B. I plan on taking one of the S&B receivers with me from the S&B for trips like I do now with Directv (if possible).
Get a Hopper 3. It has 16 tuners and a 2TB hard drive for its DVR.

This diagram shows how to connect a Hopper 3 and up to 3 other TVs (via Joey 2s) + a tripod.

Quote:
To complicate things for me with Dish is the discussion of Eastern vs Western arc LNB's. I have no idea what is what for my area in South Alabama, but what I would need for traveling the United States.
Generally, the Western Arc sats (110, 119, and 129) will work just fine.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #3

The cables are the same for either DirecTV or DISH Network on the Traveler. The only Traveler option for DISH is the western arc LNB setup. You would have to purchase a portable antenna such as the Pathway X2 to receive either eastern arc or western arc.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
The only Traveler option for DISH is the western arc LNB setup. You would have to purchase a portable antenna such as the Pathway X2 to receive either eastern arc or western arc.
If OP gets a Hopper, then he won't be able to use a Pathway X2.

With a Hopper your only choice is a Winegard Travler or an open-faced dish on a tripod, like a 1000.2.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With the Traveler you can tune it to Satellite 61.5 and get all dish channels. You are not restricted to 110, 119 and 129 Western Arc. At least that is what Dish told me.

Changing to Dish Satellite 61.5 on Traveler
Press and Hold ENTER button for 3 seconds
(Enter user menu)
Press SELECT button to move * to yes
Press ENTER
Hit SELECT until MANUAL 61.5 is on the TOP line
Hit ENTER
(Manual 61.5 mode Yes/No)
Hit SELECT to move * to YES
Hit ENTER
It will say MANUAL 61.5
Hit ENTER
It will say Power off Yes/No
Move * to No
Hit ENTER
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
If OP gets a Hopper, then he won't be able to use a Pathway X2.

With a Hopper your only choice is a Winegard Travler or an open-faced dish on a tripod, like a 1000.2.
Can I have two Hopper 3's? If I do this I would have an open faced dish at home and the Trav'ler on the motorhome or a tripod setup. I would use both of them while at home and take one with me when on a trip.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Another option with Dish is to get two Wallies with hard drives. With a Wally connected to a Trav'ler, you can watch one channel and record another, or record two at the same time. With two Wallies, you would have four tuner access. When I installed my two Wallies, I hooked the second one to the BluRay splitter with a HDMI A/B switch. That way, I can watch shows recorded on either Wally from any TV in the coach just by selecting the BluRay input on the TV. If I have to use the carryout dish, then I can only get one channel at a time on each Wally.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
No..the Direct TV wiring will NOT work. Direct TV uses SWM single wire, Dish must have three wires from the Traveler. Per the above Diagram, three wires must go tot he DPH 42 . And a power wire to the DPH power inserter. I drilled an addition hole in the roof, and fished the extra cables this morning.
Also, older model Travelers will not convert, newer one will. Contact Wineguard, they will give you the step by step tests to validate that your Wineguard contol box can be reprogrammed to Dish.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
No..the Direct TV wiring will NOT work. Direct TV uses SWM single wire, Dish must have three wires from the Traveler.
That may be true to use the Hopper, but I use two coax cables from my Trav'ler, one to each Wally. The pre-wire installed by Tiffin had four coax cables, so he may already have enough coax.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #10

When I converted the Traveler from Direct to Dish a couple of months ago I mounted the DPH42 on the roof under a cover. I know it is supposed to be "weather proof" but the cover was $5. I ran the 3 cables from the Traveler to the DPH42 and used the existing single coax from the DPH42 to the power inserter in the entertainment cabinet.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
When I converted the Traveler from Direct to Dish a couple of months ago I mounted the DPH42 on the roof under a cover. I know it is supposed to be "weather proof" but the cover was $5. I ran the 3 cables from the Traveler to the DPH42 and used the existing single coax from the DPH42 to the power inserter in the entertainment cabinet.
I'd recommend installing the DPH42 inside your RV because direct sunlight can do a number on it, but your method is viable.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Can I have two Hopper 3's? If I do this I would have an open faced dish at home and the Trav'ler on the motorhome or a tripod setup. I would use both of them while at home and take one with me when on a trip.
Depends. Sometimes DISH CSRs let you have two Hopper 3s. Sometimes not, and I believe you have to buy that 2nd Hopper 3.

However, if you are able to get two Hopper 3s, that's 32 tuners! Not bad, eh?

Anyway, it's much easier to just take your one home Hopper with you in the RV.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
I'd recommend installing the DPH42 inside your RV because direct sunlight can do a number on it, but your method is viable.
The sunlight issue is another reason it is under a cover. The cover encloses the DPH42 on 3 side and is open to the rear for ventilation. It is getting a good workout today 109 degrees.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:53 PM   #14
MnP

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolorado View Post
The sunlight issue is another reason it is under a cover. The cover encloses the DPH42 on 3 side and is open to the rear for ventilation. It is getting a good workout today 109 degrees.
What kind of cover did you use? Where did you get it?
MnP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
directv, dish, switch