Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2017, 08:41 AM   #15

MetroPCS is a tmobile company it is basically there pay asyou go the big difference between it and standard tmobile is they allow 8gb of hotspot per phone and then the hotspot turns off tmobile plan is unlimited hotspot at 3g speeds unless you up the plan to 4g hotspot option.

Our primary phones are verizon I test metropcs on a trip from indiana to Washington dc and a trip from indiana to naples florida this year. Using the bluetooth to share amazon music. On both trips there was never a single drop in service on tmobile even in the hills of Tennessee. My Business partner said he had some dead spot IN TN when he was there earlier this year. So probably depends where you are. I did have a couple of spots where tmobile was working and verizon was not during the trip.

I have thought when my verizon plan expires i likely will switch to tmobile because just seemed like a better overall deal and my experience has been same coverage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #16

One update according to metropcs they slow the speed after 8gb now they used to stop when i tested earlier this year.

anyways there you go
Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 PM   #17
Community Moderator

i signed up with t-mo yesterday. since we are using tether for everything on communication/entertainment, i don't want to have a scaled down speed. with two phones we normally use about 40gb per month jointly, consistent data speed is essential.

last night, the speed seemed ok, a slightly slower than verizon's at this location. during daytime, speed was in par with v. for $100/mo two phones unlimited everything, i think it's a fair deal.

our samsung note 3 phones from verizon work with t-mo fine. no need to buy new phones for now. so far so good.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
New game in town. Comcast/infinity we just moved to them 2 smart phones unlimited talk text data $45 a month per line plus tax. Only catch right now is must purchase phone either by month or out right, no migrating, maybe later. No problem hotspot.

LEN
Old 08-23-2017, 01:13 PM   #19
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
New game in town. Comcast/infinity we just moved to them 2 smart phones unlimited talk text data $45 a month per line plus tax. Only catch right now is must purchase phone either by month or out right, no migrating, maybe later. No problem hotspot.

LEN
they don't have their own towers, so they have to contract out with one of major cell carriers... do you know which network are they using?
Old 08-23-2017, 01:24 PM   #20

This response is probably too late for the original poster but T-Mobile now has a plan for those of us age 55+. $60 for unlimited on 2 phones:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/t-m...ed-55/?fref=gc
emcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:01 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee View Post
This response is probably too late for the original poster but T-Mobile now has a plan for those of us age 55+. $60 for unlimited on 2 phones:
thanks! this is awesome. i'll talk to them if we could switch over.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:32 PM   #22

I have a Moto X phone on Ting using T-Mobile GSM network. Since I don't usually have that many phone calls, texts, and only use data when traveling, I like the tiers for usage. I get by half the time for about $17/mo including tax. The highest bill I ever had was $35 when I needed more data. Like I said, I am a light user.
As far as coverage, mixed feelings. As long as I am near major population areas, I have good LTE service. But I was on roaming (voice & text) in all of Montana, all of Wyoming outside of Cheyenne, and all of central and western Nebraska. No data. I did have roaming in much of Saskatchewan and Alberta. When I have LTE reception, my hotspot function seems to give 4G speed.
I like Ting and T-Mobile is mostly working for me, but good coverage of population is not the same as good coverage of area. I don't know if Ting gets lesser performance than T-M provides to its direct customers. I formerly used Ting's Sprint CDMA option, but that coverage really was poor. Cell service is one enterprise where maybe there needs to be more consolidation. Duplicating infrastructure for four different networks across a continent would seem to be more costly and inefficient. The competition factor really hasn't given us performance and prices comparable to other countries.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:26 PM   #23

If you have 4 lines T-Mobile has an unlimited plan, $40/line including taxes. Good deal but you have to have 4lines. T-Mobile's LTE network is very good and their coverage has expanded a lot. BUT, you need to have newer phone with latest antenna and software. My wife's Galaxy S8 get's full 4G coverage in places where my 2 !/2 year old phone may get a couple of bars of 2G at best and often not even that. They also have a roaming agreement with AT&T.

BTW: Comcast uses the Sprint network and their Xfinity hotspots to provide coverage. Your phone will always connect to a Xfinity hotspot if available, if not it will then attempt to connect to the Sprint network. It's not really that a great of deal if you want unlimited data, you can do better elsewhere.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:35 PM   #24

Verizon, best coverage. A cheaper plan is worthless if you can't use it...
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
Verizon, best coverage. A cheaper plan is worthless if you can't use it...
And a better deal if you can use it. T-Mobile's coverage has improved radically over the last 24 months and with their new nationwide 600 MHz band should equal or better Verizon and AT&T within the next few years. Verizon still has an edge in rural areas but its advantage (and value for its price premium) is disappearing fast.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
After 30 years without changing carriers (although there were at least 2 aquisitions during that time), we have left AT&T (Cellular-One & Cingular). We're trying an experiment;

DW went on Mintsim.com; prepaid plan is $15.00/m unlimited text & talk, 2 GB of 4G LTE, then throttled if on crowded towers.

I went with Red Pocket; $29.95/mo unlimited T&T, & 3GB 4G LTE data, then throttled. Can prepay 6 months at a time, for a better monthly cost, or a year up front, for an even lower cost. (averages to 21.25/mo). We also have a ZTE Mobley, for unlimited data with ATT, which is $22.03/mo.

The advantage of the RedPocket plan is you can choose to activate any of the sim cards they send you (one for each of the 4 major carriers), and that's who you'll be with. I chose ATT, but there were sim cards in the packet for Verizon, T-Mobile and Sprint, as well. All the same price; you choose.

We'll see what we like. We may end up switching to T-Mobile, for the 55+ plan for unlimited everything for $60/mo for both.

For now, we'll be able to compare T-Mobile with ATT coverages for a month or 2, then decide.

The jury's still out.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #27

T-Mobile is now giving you a free Netflix account, the $9.99 one, with certain plans. Also a $10 credit for any line that uses less than 2gb of data for the month. Not sure what plans that applies to. I got fed up and bought a new Samsung Galaxy 8 on Monday because my 2.5 year old LG was almost useless. Amazing difference here at my house. Their LTE network is as fast or faster than connecting to Xifinity wifi and last time I checked my wifi download speed was over 90mb/s.