Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #15
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow! So much information.

I purchased an iPad on Mother's day last year. It is my wife's device and she only lets me use it when we are at the laundry-mat, or if APPs need to be loaded or maintenance needs to be performed, like updating the OS.

As stated Pictures can be loaded on the iPad using the camera kit.
Videos can be streamed to the television using the HDMI kit.
It can be hooked to a computer and music can be stored using iTunes (MAC or PC)
FLASH AND JAVA can be used if you download an APP called Cloud Browse. You need to cut and past the URL into cloud browse, but it does play FLASH and Java programs.
You can transfer files from iPad to any other computer if you use DropBucket.
You can print to any printer via a wireless connection if you printer or desktop/laptop is configured to let you do it.
It can be used to browse the Internet, manage email accounts - sevreral at a time, and is a very good back-up GPS system the DW keeps track of where I think I'm going.
I believe the APP that reads PDF, Word files, Excel spreadsheets is called Good Reader.I have not played with it much so I do not know it's limitations except that you can read those type files.
Using the 3g functionality of the iPad. We are on the old program of unlimited use for $30 a month. The newer prices are $15 a month with a 2Gb limit and it can be turned off when not in use. So if you are sitting in the house with a WiFi connection for a couple months you do not need 3G turned on.
With the newer iPad there is an application called "Facetime." It does not have conferencing, but is a one-on-one video chat system that will be good with grand-kids when you travel - if they have a WiFi system and a computer that will run Facetime. Any newer iPad, iPhone 4, MAC computer running the Lion OS will run Facetime.
It can do many things, but it also cannot do many things. An iPad should not be considered a replacement for a regular type computer. It has limitations.

The tablets running operating systems emulating a Windows environment can do as stated previously with office programs, etc. Some of them also have a Micro HDMI output so video can be played on most present day televisions, or monitors. The nicer thing is the ability to hook up an external hard disk drive using the USB on some tablets. This give you more storage than the tablet, or an iPad can give you. I don't know much more about tablets.

Try doing a google search on iPad versus tablet and see if there are review comparisons out there.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #16

I agree with Elf and Texnet on their statements. As for android tablets they are more for the non technically challenged (my wife would not want one), not that they are difficult, the iPad is just easy.
Just as you need a computer to start your iPad (Apple stores will generally activate if you ask) there also is not currently a good way to back up all of the information on the iPad either. So a computer is required.
I am sure they are working on cloud integration, but if you are working over a cell network and take pictures... well if you do not have unlimited data....
Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
My wife and I have the Samsung Galaxy tablet and are very pleased - we use Google for storing all our docs and images. The tablet handles all our daily tasks, including trip navagtion, compass readings for satellite TV, etc. We use Google and HP "Cloud Printing " to our networked HP printer. Our first thoughts were that the tablet would augment our laptop -- they've taken over as our primary networked devices.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #18

Dean- AT&T field grunts say a lot of things that are not true (probably to get you to pay more if I had to guess). I had unlimited data on an old Palm phone, switched to a Blackberry Torch which they said cannot be tethered and could not port the data plan. I didn't recognize the data issue immediately, and in fact they shut off my data (idiots) right off the bat, smart phone + no data = ???; I called 611, said what the ..., and they replaced my old plan.
They also said no tethering; I recently started to tether it seamlessly. It was in fact so easy I kick myself for not doing that sooner as it would have worked great at a recent week long rally. I expect this to be a fabulous benefit.

I checked out the Asus Transporter1 at Best Buy recently, and will probably buy the Transporter2 (probably from BB as their post-sales support is excellent); it comes out rumored for November release at same price as current T1. That means price reduction for T1 if that fills your needs. The T2 is supposed to come loaded w/Android 4.0 (aka "Ice Cream Sandwich" or ICS for the truly up clueful, which is not me). T1 has A3.0 operating system. T1 has a lock-in dock/keyboard which is a pretty functional mimicking of laptop form factor, a tiny bit shrunk from my current laptop keyboard but very workable. Dock has two full size USB ports & mini-SD card port for camera/video/data exchange to other appliances or swap w/neighbors that doesn't work so well as email attachments (probably great for backup also). This or a bluetooth keyboard will be mandatory for me (I don't think the T1 has bluetooth connection for the keyboard, which would be better for armchair use IMO). And I like my armchair w/a cup of coffee when goofing off on iRV2. The laptop isn't as comfortable a form factor due to weight and heat if plugged in. I tried the Polaris word processor that comes in 3.0, and like a reviewer I read online, could not figure out how to cut & paste; likely there are other glitches that (hopefully) would be corrected in further software releases; didn't try spreadsheet. I use a keyboard a lot, and that will be a must for any tablet purchase. However, the instant-on feature is pretty fabulous and IMO the biggest driver of tablet utility (no boot-up time wasted). I've found for checking email my always-on phone is indispensable, and a whole lot of quick response can be done on it; a tablet-only (no keyboard) would be OK (not great) for part-time email (the thumb keyboard of the Torch phone works way better than any glass screen setup I've tried, large or small, since you can actually feel actual keys, so part-time email will be on the phone for me for a while).
Like many posts above, I can't see living w/out a real keyboard and the full featured software of a laptop, and a tablet w/a real keyboard would outperform my phone for email except- it would have to have an email client where I can keep resident email on board or else I'll still need my laptop (I search emails sometimes 2 or 3 years old for work related stuff, and that doesn't work near as well IMO in a cloud environ and waiting for 3G downloads which are not speedy like searching on-hard-drive email which is near instant).

So for the moment, smart phone & tethered laptop works well enough to wait out a bit more maturing of the tablet genre. Some definite maturation of business type software and data transfer is needed, but I see an end to laptops w/in 5 years, lots of dwindling w/in 3 as folks migrate to better found tablets and the instant on life.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Toshiba Thrive 32GB (Tablet) We have it...

Very nice!!!! Easy to use!!! 10" Screen..

Looks and feels high Quality

Lots of ports so you can connect. Replaceable Battery

Doesn't take up space on your table. Android Gingerbread

Amazon.com: Toshiba Thrive 10.1-Inch 32 GB Android Tablet AT105-T1032 Black: Computers & Accessories
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:55 PM   #20
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm looking at the soon to be released Amazon Kindle Fire at $199 as a basic email, browsing tablet.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #21

I have an IBM Lenovo Thinkpad X61. The battery shows 64% charge, but will not take a charge and will not run on the battery. A Google search shows that I am not alone with this problem. It appears that IBM has programed the battery to show it defective after so many cycles. I may sound paranoid, but Google Thinkpad battery and see the Corporate Greed for yourself.

There is also speculation that if you try to replace the individual LiPo cells and remove power from the battery charging control circuit, it renders it un-usable, even with the new batteries.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM IBM

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:46 AM   #22

Three Solid Tablets

Odd. First time here on this forum as a new RV owner and I see this post and happen to be a tablet expert.

I am posting using a Asus EeePad tablet. One of five I have tested. Typing a long post on a tablet is not fun, so this will be rather short. Like most devices, the first thing you have to ask yourself is "what am I going to use it for"?

Today two key "platforms" have emerged; Apple & Android. There are others WebOS (from HP) and Blackberry. Microsoft is just now getting into the game and will likely be a major player.

So what to get? As I noted, I have reviewed 5 tablets with more waiting in the pipeline. First js what platform.

If you want entertainment and solid app support, it is hard to beat Apple. But in terms of PC interfaces ( unless you are a Mac user) or phone interfaces ( unless you have an iPhone), our beloved Apple is weak.

If connecting your devices and utilitarian apps are what you are looking for Android is rocking here. I have Samsung Android phone, so do all my kids and wife. The information sharing between tablets and Android phones is very powerful. Integration with the GPS and Google maps works very well. Applications such as Cozi helps keep the family and myself organized.

As i have switched between tablets and phones I have been pleasently surprised by Android/Googles ability to seemlessly and wirelessly move my applications and data to the new device. I had to replace my phone and tablet more than once for reviewing and was surprised the first time I activated a new device to see Android start loading everything automatically, selecting the right versions for my hardware. I should note that if there isn't a version, then nothing is loaded for that specific app.

WebOS was also very cool but I cannot recommend it because HP cannot make up its mind whether or not to continue support.

I recently started testing a Microsoft version of an Asus tablet. If what you need I is tight integration to Microsoft office, then hold out for a Microsoft tablet. I would wait cor next spring and not jump into an early model based on what I am experiencing.

Of the tablets I have tested. I liked the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 the best. Lighter and faster than the iPad. Its main flaw is a lack of external storage. It is very stable with amazing battery life. Get the application called Dropbox to move files to and from your PC onto the tablet. GPS workex the best on this tablet. I got this one for my wife, she loves it. Do not buy the docking bay. Do buy the keyboard.

Second place was the Asus tablet. Lots of external storage slots for SD memory cards. One on the tablet and one on the keyboard. Also worked well with USB storage devices. The keyboard attaches and folds turning this tablet into an on demand netbook (laptop). Very cool. Issues are buggy software but to Asus credit, they are responsive to fixing problems.

Third place was the Toshiba Thrive. Great tablet and the most rugged. Extra SD slots for storage and USB connectors. But no good keyboard accessory, but i did purchase a third party keyboard and it was very easy to configure. I didn't like this tablet because it was too thick. But others I have talked to liked better because it felt more sturdy. Software is very stable.

I could go on for several pages as to how I use a tablet. You should know it is not a good replacement for a laptop. But as a communications and navigation center it rocks! I have no problems displaying files from my laptop including PowerPoint files. My RV is my mobile office and it was easy to connect my tablet to the in rig TV system.
ThomasWendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #23

Couples of more things to add about tablets.

I happen to really like the Androd "System", but you should expect to gain the maximum benefit out of it if you also have an Android phone (and soon an Android TV STB, not the GoogleTV box).

Android has its own way of doing this that some will find ackward at first. My experience in testing is that the 10" screens work better than the 7" screens. Easier to read and easier to use the touch interface. Also, most full "desktop" or "full web sites" work well on the 10".

Good luck!
Tom
Old 10-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Tom, thanks for posting. Just the kind of info I was looking for.

I think we have decided to wait for another 12 months since we do not have a pressing need.

We still use our I River (out of business) and Zune MP3 players but they were obsolete the minute we put them into service. Tablets seem to be heading in the same "Sort Em Out" path.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #25

This discussion got my attention as I have been thinking of getting one for my wife.

After reading here I stopped by Fry's and was looking at the Toshiba as I have a Toshiba laptop with great use.

But then the salesman came by and compared the Sony S1 and said the Sony was a better one for me. It has a full SD card slot and more connectivity. The size is slightly smaller and not sure if either display will work with my wife as he has some dexterity issues.

Anyway anyone here have the Sony?

Bob

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:14 AM   #26

Sony S1

I tested the Sony and liked it alot. But unfortunately, it failed testing due to surprisingly poor battery performance. It was about 43% of that of the best performing tablet which for battery life was the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 tablet.

The sony does have nice AV features and DLNA support.

I liked the shape but it also did not fit well in Targa tablet case.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #27

The next generation Tegra 3 based tablets

I just unboxed the next tablet for testing. It will be a few weeks before I finish, but I can already see a huge improvement in performane. I ran a benchmark and processing wise it was slightly faster than the Asus Eee Pad i have been using.

The new Tegra 3 (refers to the processor inside) will hit stores next month.

Will write an update when the review is done.

Tom
Old 10-14-2011, 08:41 AM   #28

Thanks for all your comments and expertise Tom. Please keep the reviews coming.
diepenj is offline   Reply With Quote