Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2011, 07:25 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Where's the iPad review?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also have the Galaxy Tab 7 and use it as my laptop. I rather the 7 than the 10 because the 7 will fit in my back paints pocket when I am not using it. But to each his own.
offshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasWendt
I tested the Sony and liked it alot. But unfortunately, it failed testing due to surprisingly poor battery performance. It was about 43% of that of the best performing tablet which for battery life was the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1 tablet.

The sony does have nice AV features and DLNA support.

I liked the shape but it also did not fit well in Targa tablet case.
After reading this thread and looking at alternatives in stores I got the sony for my wife. And I am loving it. iN fact on a trip now with big laptop at home!

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #32

Interesting topic and some great information. We just picked up a Motorola Xoom tablet and very pleased with it. With the $30 data plan it also serves as a mini mobile Wifi hot spot for the full function laptop. We don't do anything that requires high data use such as streaming video. And the 4G is pretty quick (back compatable also).
Thought about Netflix, but tried an HD movies and it burned through about 1.5 gig (or about $15/movie after the 3 gigs in the data plan are used up!)
Our local store had a 50% off sale on them when we stumbled in to upgrade the cell phone so we could tether. Just couldn't resist the new toy!! With the bluetooth keyboard and available apps it comes close to laptop. Setting up the secured network took all of five minutes.
So, guess I'm saying I'm a new tablet fan for the RV!

Greg, Karen, and Clementine (Golden Retriever).
'97 Gulfstream class C forever a project.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:59 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I think if I were to buy another tablet, it would be Windows-based. Android is nice for a phone, but it's not as powerful for a tablet.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 AM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
OP Here:

Well, I studied the market and our probable uses of the Tablet. Also appreciate the feedback provided in this thread.

Yesterday, I acquired the Vizio Tablet from Costco for $189 and the option to return it within 90 days.

The tablet is behind the technology curve and certainly does not compare well to the GK's Ipads, but will probably fulfill our needs for a Wifi capable addition to our laptop for travels.

We experienced a Flawless Startup, WIFI link, Vizio updates, and the App Store downloads. Angry Birds works well. Recharging seemed to be reasonably quick.

Have yet to try the GPS, Neflix streaming, HDMI output, and the 16G storage disk. Email worked fine. Browser was ok.

8" is a very small screen and the on screen keyboard is tiny too.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #35

Country Coach Owners Club
Well, further testing on the Vizio reveals that the GPS works without a cell phone signal, but the tab must be able to see the Satellites.

It found several local destinations using Voice Search and provided verbal turn by turn directions to a destination. It does not have route corrections and lying on the dash board to see the Sats it provides no visual help enroute.

Netflix streams just fine. Good speakers. Voice search works nicely. Lots of stuff to learn.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #36

I have several Windows laptops and a six month old ipad 2. My opinion is that if you can afford both then get both. If you can afford one get a laptop. The big shortcoming on the tablet - ipad is typing. I type fast on a laptop without looking. It is much harder to do that on a tablet. Also, the ipad gets confused when dealing with RV on line forums. I have no problems with IRV2, but some others do have issues.

Once you have an ipad it is very easy to watch and look at media on it. For example the financial news, spots video clips, pbs news video clips, and so on. The ipad screen is extreamily sharp and clear. It is also instant on. Sometimes windows laptops take 10 minutes to get really running.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #37

We just ordered a Dell Streak 7 ,,, $150 on sale to replace an Old laptop... (it's hers of course) ... It's just to travel with, or I guess for her to replace the nook for reading books, as we both use desktops at home (I built) . Hopefully we (She) will like it....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #38

Just got the Kindle Fire. At $199 I thought it might be worth it.

It's going back to Amazon. It's a bad reader, because it has a bright backlight like a regular monitor. The "E-Ink" displays are much easier on the eye.

The web browser function is difficult because of the small screen. I have to open a page, then magnify a portion of it to be able to read it. Takes a lot of screen taps. Speaking of which, the touch screen is erratic. Sometimes it responds, sometimes it doesnt.

Oh well - I should know better than to be an "early adopter"
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Asus Epad Transformer.. great pad and has a keyboard dock...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote