RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #1

Tailgater

Hello..

I am interested in getting a Dish Tailgater... I've found a used one for $150.

My question... Is the Tailgater which was purchased 3-5 years ago the same as one purchased today?

I called Dishnetwork and they were no help.. they wanted me to call a "local" distributor to answer my questions.. I'd rather not do that..

I'm worried that if I purchase this "older" Tailgater, I won't be getting the same technology as today.. I don't mind spending the money if I need to, but don't if I don't have to..

Thanks in advance !!!

oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dish probably can't help. Call Winegard, the manufacturer. 800-788-4417 is their tech support number. The Tailgater you are considering may be a Dish version, or a DirecTV version. The tech support line should be able to help identify it. Hope that helps.

pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
An actual TailGater like this is always and only a Dish (not Direct) compatible device ...

http://www.dish.com/technology/tv-ou.../tailgater.jpg

By the way, an actual TailGater is not made by Winegard ... was originally made by VuQube, which has been taken over by King Controls.

We've had ours for several years, I understand the "smarts" of the equipment resides in the receiver box, not the TailGater. So the one you are considering should be fine. Takes a VIP211k or 211z receiver box, no others.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #4

Thanks guys... I just didn't want to deal with a "sales" person..

I just want to make sure I'm not purchasing "old technology"..
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:07 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sure you will get standard deffintion with it but you to check it out if you are wanting HD quality

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
CSB
Commercial Member

The Tailgater antenna you are considering purchasing will operate just like the latest version when used as a portable antenna with a single receiver. The new KING Tailgater model VQ4500 has several new features including dual receiver outputs, integrated mounting feet for rooftop installation and is smaller in size. It also looks quite a bit different than the original model.

Both systems receive HD programming from DISH and are manufactured by KING in Bloomington, MN.
CSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Thanks guys... I just didn't want to deal with a "sales" person..

I just want to make sure I'm not purchasing "old technology"..
They recently discontinued that model, and now have a new white dome shaped model called the Carryout G2 that is both Dish and Direct TV compatible. The new Pathway X1 model is only compatible with Dish and also looks like a portable white dome.

The old tailgater will continue to work just fine with the appropriate control box, (just as any old hardware still works if it's not broken).
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
They recently discontinued that model, and now have a new white dome shaped model called the Carryout G2 that is both Dish and Direct TV compatible. The new Pathway X1 model is only compatible with Dish and also looks like a portable white dome.

The old tailgater will continue to work just fine with the appropriate control box, (just as any old hardware still works if it's not broken).
Both the Carryout G2 and the Pathway X1 are Winegard products ... a Tailgater, both the former model and the newer model, are made by King (which bought out VuQube).