Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2014, 07:09 AM   #1

Tailgater vs Winegard pathway x2

I purchased a Tailgater to use on weekend camp outs and the signal drops out with cloud cover, the best signal strength has been around 30. My regular dish 500 has a signal strength of at least 60. Was thinking of returning the Tailgater and purchasing a Winegard pathway x2. Does anyone use the pathway and what is your signal strength ? I like not having to aim the tailgater but losing signal with 40 laps to go at Bristol is not good!
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally a bigger dish means a stronger signal.

We had a Tailgator and it was a lot of problems.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
we have been using the Winegard CarryOut 1518, the older one and it has never failed us. My roof top unit crapped out a couple of years ago so now I just set this out and it is fully automatic.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #4

I have the Pathways X2 connected to a pair of 211Z receivers. I belive the Pathways requires either 211Z or 211K (perhaps one other VIP series). Only the primary connection controls the dish. It works great, fully automatic and the larger dish pickles up through rain and heavy clouds.
Highly recommended by me!
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Another consideration, is that the Pathway X2 is compatible with the Eastern Arc cluster of satellites. So, if you are NASCARing predominantly on the East Coast, your signal will have to travel through less atmosphere (clouds) due the higher look angle you would have on the eastern satellites versus the western arc satellites. Also less likely to be blocked by obstructions, especially the HD sat at 129. The Tailgator (and the Wingegard PathwayX1) is Western Arc only with the HD channels mostly on Sat 129.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
I have the Pathways X2 connected to a pair of 211Z receivers. I belive the Pathways requires either 211Z or 211K (perhaps one other VIP series). Only the primary connection controls the dish. It works great, fully automatic and the larger dish pickles up through rain and heavy clouds.
Highly recommended by me!
I recently purchased the Pathway X2 as well, and also recommend it. I've read both are manufactured by Weingard, and that the construction of the X2 to be better, but I do not know that to be fact.

I can tell you that I have enjoyed a good signal from both Eastern and Western ARC satellites using the X2.
trhendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:13 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Tailgater is made by King Controls (Kingdome) and the Pathway is a Winegard product...
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Tailgater is made by King Controls (Kingdome) and the Pathway is a Winegard product...
Good to know, I obviously was told wrong. I am still very happy with my X2 however. Seems to be built well.
trhendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:52 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
What connection does the X1 have? All my TV has is S-video and does not have HDMI connection.
flangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I love my tailgater. It is easy to use, but heavy cloud cover like a big rain cell does affect it. A bigger carryout would help this, but 9 months of the year we move a lot. The Convenience of the tailgater outweighs any occasional storm interference.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I think that there are a few in this thread who are confused about the Pathway units.

1) The Pathway X2 is fully automatic like the Tailgater, but has a much larger dish.

2) Both units (X1 & X2) are satellite antennas and require a DISH receiver in order to get and process the signal.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangley View Post
What connection does the X1 have? All my TV has is S-video and does not have HDMI connection.
All of the antennas have F-Connectors X-1, X-2 and Tailgater (Antenna connections)

YOUR question applies to the RECEIVER. VIP-211k has A/V, HDMI and Coaxial antenna (Chan 3/4) VIP 211Z does not have coxial (do not know what it has)( and is thus not the first choice for many RVers.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for finishing up what I left out.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:38 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
All of the antennas have F-Connectors X-1, X-2 and Tailgater (Antenna connections)

YOUR question applies to the RECEIVER. VIP-211k has A/V, HDMI and Coaxial antenna (Chan 3/4) VIP 211Z does not have coxial (do not know what it has)( and is thus not the first choice for many RVers.
How do you hook up the dish tailgater antenna to the 211Z if it has no coaxial port?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote