Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Tech questions from non-techie

I have decided I will replace my tube tv's with flat screens. I then stopped to think what about all the "stuff". My Seabreeze has the typical set-up (I think), I have a cabinet with a switch device, with channel 3/4 output, to select inputs from the various sources, i.e. DVD player, antenna, cable, etc.. for each of the tv's. The connection to each tv is via standard coax cable. I have upgraded the dvd to a blue ray smart wi-fi type, but still hooked up to system by coax cable. I think by virtue of that hook-up I will not be able to make use of the higher definition picture to the new tv's over that cable input (channel 3/4 selector). In addition, I have had installed, a while back, a digital tuner, so when no cable hook-up my "non-digital" tv's get signal from digital tuner, again via channel 3/4 at the set from the remote tuner. Obvious shortcomings are lack of ability to watch a different channel on individual tv's.

Will I need to completely re-wire with hdmi for dvd with new switch/splitter, and leave coax system in place for antenna and cable viewing, but remove the digital tuner? I am thinking that if I do not do this I will not be able to enjoy the features of the bluray dvd player. Or maybe just be easier to put a separate dvd in back bedroom hooked directly to tv, and use one up front for that tv, and still leave cable connection from dvd to switch incase we want to watch same dvd in back and front but not have bluray resolution during that type of use.

Sorry to ramble, but trying to reason out best approach before starting to avoid having to undo - redo over again.

Am I on the right track?
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #2

I did a similar upgrade too...just a few months ago. I did not change all the items you are mentioning. I did buy a digital antenna....from Walmart. It took care of the local broadcast stations and I use the TV tuner/and tv remote to change channels now. The HDMI signal from the DVD player....and VCR has not been upgraded. I will replace the units at my leisure with a BLUERAY player but not anytime soon. I do use my tablet PC to watch HDMI (from Netflix) since that has become available by using a newer type TV.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Do an Internet Google for Wireless HDMI.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:12 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Whew!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Do an Internet Google for Wireless HDMI.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Looks like 2 dvd players with hdmi to set way cheaper. Since I have one already.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #5

In our previous MH I installed a LED/LCD flatscreen with builtin DVD player in the bedroom. This replaced a 13 inch old style and separate DVD player. My aging eyeballs said" WOW! This is much better than what I had." I later installed a similar unit in the front with a separate DVD player connected to the TV instead of through the switch. We then bought a newer MH and sold the older one to a daughter who was more than happy with the two relatively new TV's. I have now installed a new TV with DVD player in the newer bedroom and plan to do something similar in the front when Mama shakes loose some coins. These newer TV's work well without needing the government subsidized converter and even work at Ft Wilderness without having to use a Disney converter. So much simpler and no wiring to change or reconnect. Now I can just punch antenna or cable on the switch box for either TV. And The pictures are so much clearer.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Jensen makes a 12v. tv. I have one in my rv. Works great when boon docking.
Thor 37GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #7

Done the upgrade to my coach. Yes you need to change some wiring. I still change my connections from time to time to accomplish different viewing. Not a big deal as the flat screens are worth it. You will learn what to change when the need arises. The problem I have is when my teenagers try to figure it out,,,LOL

joe
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
The simplest approach would be to dump the switch box. Virtually all flat screen tvs will have numerous inputs. Get 2 Blu-ray players and install one near each tv. I take two DirecTV boxes when we travel so I can watch something other than dance shows on my tv.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
The signal from the dish to the receiver is on coax cable, even with H.D. So I don't think running hdmi from the receiver to a t.v. is going change anything. Like others have done, my blue-ray player is plugged directly into my t.v. When I had a s+b. and HD from Directv, I switched from coax to hdmi between the receiver and tv and could not see a difference. After watching a standard DVD in a blue ray player, I was astounded at the improved quality of the picture. I won't ever bother to pay extra for sat. or cable "HD" again. They can call it what they want to. It's not hd.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are many products out there that can meet your needs. You first have to determine what your needs are and what type of outputs and inputs you will have. Then search on audio/video switches and you should be able to come up with solutions.

A friend of mine has a 2000 National Seabreeze and recently updated his old tube types to flat screens. We installed this Phillips 4 way controller

I had one in my older 5th wheel years ago and it was totally automatic. when you switched from TV to DVD the audio video switch switch output automatically.

There are now HDMI automatic switches, or at least with a remote control so we don't have to exercise as much. So, determine what you are going to need. If you need more information, post what you have as far as tv's, dvd's, etc with model number and I'm sure you will be able to find a solution from the forum.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First the new Flat Screens have the ability to receive older ANALOG so they will work with the switch system quite well.

IF you have Satellite receiver(s) those will give you a better picture with HDMI cables to the new HDMI compatible TVs.

So you can add the HDMI.. Now if you have two DVR's that chat (TiVo now does that) you can use short cables. Else someone suggested googling wireless. Good advice.

If you add Blue Ray you may also be able to get a HDMI modulator, this sends High Def over coax just like the switch box does now for the DVD player.