Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

Television problem

Hopefully you guys can help me out. I have a Furrion Tv but irrelevant. I connected the cable connection to the cable box at the RV site. I Connected the other end to my cable connection on the RV.I scan for cable and cant get nothing. Now assuming My cable did not work I went to front office and they sent someone down. He connected his tv to the box and it worked. He came in my coach, looked in where the cable connections are and found one that said cable. He connected his tv to that and it worked. So I thought the problem was fixed. No. My tv did not work. It kept saying please scan. So I dismounted my TV and plugged my antenna cord to where he found the one that said cable. Still I get the message that says please scan.

BTW. I did let it scan and all I got was 138 RF channels. No Digital or Analog channels.

Any ideas from anybody. I am new to this site because I need expert advice.
2Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Amy View Post
Hopefully you guys can help me out. I have a Furrion Tv but irrelevant. I connected the cable connection to the cable box at the RV site. I Connected the other end to my cable connection on the RV.I scan for cable and cant get nothing. Now assuming My cable did not work I went to front office and they sent someone down. He connected his tv to the box and it worked. He came in my coach, looked in where the cable connections are and found one that said cable. He connected his tv to that and it worked. So I thought the problem was fixed. No. My tv did not work. It kept saying please scan. So I dismounted my TV and plugged my antenna cord to where he found the one that said cable. Still I get the message that says please scan.

BTW. I did let it scan and all I got was 138 RF channels. No Digital or Analog channels.

Any ideas from anybody. I am new to this site because I need expert advice.

I'm guessing but on the Setup screen for the Scan you should select CABLE and not ANTENNA before doing the scan.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #3

Make sure before you scan, the input is on catv and not antenna
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:49 PM   #4

I have a feeling the OP's television is set to receive OTA via an antenna. He or she may need to get into the television settings, set it to cable or CATV, and then run the scan.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

Also make sure that the amplifier button for the OTA antennae is off.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Also make sure that the amplifier button for the OTA antennae is off.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

If you scanned 138 RF channels than you should be able to see them. Make sure your viseo input is on cable and not HDMI or something else.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #8

I did turn off the amplifier, I did turn it to cable to scan. RF channels are nothing since we went to digital.

Lately I took the cable into the coach and connected it to the back of the TV. It worked

Now for the experts why cant I get the cable to work when I connect the cable to the outside of my coach that's marked cable. What can I try next.is there someway to test the cable that runs through my coach?
2Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:32 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ON MY 20-yo rig, I found that none of the (x4) coax connectors on the amp were crimped, and easily pulled out; suspicion is you have a cable pulled out of a connector? Not too hard to fix
Old 09-23-2018, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
I have a Furrion Tv but irrelevant.
Not necessarily! Ask the front office if they have a digital cable system. At least some of the Furrion TV's do not have a QAM tuner, which is necessary for tuning digital cable.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
I did turn off the amplifier, I did turn it to cable to scan. RF channels are nothing since we went to digital.

Lately I took the cable into the coach and connected it to the back of the TV. It worked

Now for the experts why cant I get the cable to work when I connect the cable to the outside of my coach that's marked cable. What can I try next.is there someway to test the cable that runs through my coach?

Uh... Amy, RF is how OTA (over the air) television works and almost all (99.8%) of TV stations use digital transmission. Analog, due to its bandwidth requirements, is what has been replaced. In the same 6mHz TV channel where only 1 analog station can transmit, there can be up to 10 digital standard def TV channels or up to 4 HD channels.

Like some of the other responses you've gotten, I think the TV is set to scan for OTA broadcasts. If it were not, you'd have not found the 100+ RF stations.

As for the question about checking coax in your RV there are 2 considerations - a simple continuity tester (about $20 at the big-box home stores) that will only tell you if there is a break in the cable (or that you're not on the same cable if there are multiple cables), or much more expensive testers that will analyze the cable in the time domain and tell you where any breaks are and might tell you the bandwidth capability of the cable itself.

I'd start with the cheap tester if it turns out that your TV was set on CATV/cable, but that leaves the TV finding the broadcast OTA stations unexplained.

The prior comment about some TVs not have QAM tuner is spot on, too. You can probably find that info with an internet search based on the model number.

Safe travels and good luck to you.

Tags
television