Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Testing antenna signal

How do I test my antenna to find out I'd is actually picking up signal? We took our rv out the other week and couldn't get any channels on our tv. I assumed it was because our antenna was old and just not picking anything up because we were so far away from everything.

Today I installed a sensar 4/with wingman replacement head and sitting in the dc metro still get no channels, weak channels I could understand but I'm not getting anything at all.

So is there a meter or a way to determine if the antenna is getting a signal? Anything else I need to check?
Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is the TV you are using (year, brand and model)? If it is an older analog TV, you won't get any channels without a digital converter.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #3

Not sure about testing, others can chime in on how to do that. I see you have a older MH similar in age to mine. If you have not upgrade your TVs to newer digital TVs you will need a converter box. Also make sure you have the antenna power amp turned on. Usually a little switch on the wall plate for the antenna with a red LED that lights up when on. If you have the newer TVs you will have to run the auto channel scan to pick up the channels, usually it's best the re-scan at each new location you travel to. Good Luck.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:29 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Both tvs are digital flat screens, a 32" Samsung up front and a 19" Toshiba flat screen/dvd combo. Antenna amp led is lit and the tv's find no channels when doing an auto search. I can understand not being able to get a signal at a cg in the middle of no where but I'm in a major metropolitan area I should be able to find something lol
Old 09-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So I bought a cable toner/tester today and the antenna cable is dead where it goes through the roof into the ceiling of the coach. I'm at a loss at what to do next, I can't see a cable connecter at the roof level it looks like one continuous line
Old 09-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Your tester will not work if the cable from the antenna is connected to a preamp.
Take the cable from the antenna and connect it directly to the tv without the preamp or any other switches in line then make sure the tv is set for over the air operation.
Once signal is obtained you can connect one item at a time i.e. preamp or switches checking to see if you loose signal. If you loose signal with one of them that will be where you have a problem.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:40 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have a 12V tester I would suggest you test the cable at the antenna head to make sure it is getting 12V by putting the tester on the center wire and the outside area of the connector but MAKE SURE you don't let the testers leads touch. I found that I did have the proper 12V at my head but that the connection at the antenna needed to be cleaned and then I had amazing reception.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #8

I do not know the answer but I have an observation. Since you just installed the new antenna can you connect a different cable to the antenna and drop it down to a Televison set without using any of the internal wiring or preamplifier? If you can start there.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you have the toner.. You have either a wall plate with 12 volt outlet, switch, LED and antenna connector or a box of many buttons.

Get to the back side of that device, on the wall plate with the 12 volt outlet at the top. and looking at the back the 1st cable SHOULD be the one to the roof.. Disconnect it and test

On the box of many buttons it's labeled ANT.. Disconnect and test.

Assuming cable good (Major assumption).

Using TV-remote make sure it is set for ANT(enna) not CABLE, then scan for stations.. IF it finds one tune to it then back to menu mode and find the Digital Signal Strength (Many possible names for that)

That's your signal meter

You may then rotate the antenna SLOWLY to peak.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I disconnected one end from the antenna and the antenna lead from the bomb and connected the toner and had no continuity.

I'll go back and try from the antenna to the booster plate and see if anything changes. I don't want to replace the cable through the roof if I can avoid it.
Thanks
Old 09-22-2014, 07:19 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As per everyone's suggestions I went back and disconnected the antenna wire from the 12v booster plate and toned it, had continuity so I connected it straight to the TV and got 6 channels.
I then disconnected the other coax from the booster to the bomb, had continuity there.

However I don't get continuity when I test through the booster or through the bomb...
Is it possible for the booster and the bomb to go bad at the same time?
Thanks for all the responses
Old 09-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does your BOMB also have 12V power? You should only be using the booster or the bomb to provide 12V to the antenna.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The bomb is not powered, and not passing signal regardless of what button combinations are pushed
Old 09-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Am I correct in assuming that I should be able to tone through the booster plate (turned off obviously) and the bomb?

Tags
antenna