Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hot spot

I just got a unlimited plan through Verizon, When at home or in MH my wife and I tether of our phones or any other device we have, Where ever we go we now have Wifi. Its unlimited so let the good time roll.

ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The wifi in the vehicle is likely reduce in transmit power and / or reciever sensitivity, to reduce the coverage area. So the distance is reduced as compared to a more typical wifi home access point. However a simple repeater / range extender in the RV would allow it to be utilized from inside the RV. Hawking Technology makes such units starting at around $50 and up.

If the deal is as described I would go for it in a heartbeat. (-:

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:13 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
I just got a unlimited plan through Verizon, When at home or in MH my wife and I tether of our phones or any other device we have, Where ever we go we now have Wifi. Its unlimited so let the good time roll.
The above statement should be clarified. Verizon limits tethering to 10GB per month unless you have an old grandfathered unlimited plan. Any of the new "Unlimited" plans are not really unlimited. Gotta read the fine print.

Caveat Emptor.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:05 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
The wifi in the vehicle is likely reduce in transmit power and / or reciever sensitivity, to reduce the coverage area. So the distance is reduced as compared to a more typical wifi home access point. However a simple repeater / range extender in the RV would allow it to be utilized from inside the RV. Hawking Technology makes such units starting at around $50 and up.

If the deal is as described I would go for it in a heartbeat. (-:
Way ahead of you in the thought process. I have the Camp Pro with the repeater so I don't believe I'll have issues. Getting our Roku or Chromecast to connect might be more challenging, but last time I tried with park wifi and my Camp pro, it seemed to work well enough.

Also, computerguy is right about Verizon. Read the fine print. Technomadia was the first to bring to my attention the unlimited unlimited on its hotspots and that it extends to vehicles. I just wanted confirmation and I got it. Frankly At&t was not on my radar and was never a fan of their phones, plans or customer service. My original plan was to have wife go with Verizon and me to go with Tmobile so that we have coverage covered so to speak. If this new plan works, it looks like At&t may win me over.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
NEW UPDATE: I called Onstar today and set up the $20/month unlimited data. I took the car to the coach. Good news is that when I parked about 10 ft in front of the coach I was able to get full bars on my laptop. Then I tried my Roku and got very good (not full bars though) reception and was able to watch shows without any real issues. [I should note that I did NOT use my Camp Pro, just phone, TV, and laptop's natural signal] Bad news is my car. While I figured out the battery drain issue thanks to another poster, the problem is that my car automatically shuts off after 10 minutes when just in the ACC mode. So, it will work, but it will be a PITA. There is an app that will restart my car remotely though so if I watch a short show, I may be good. A 2-hour movie though, probably not the best option.

In short, for those looking in the future, it CAN work, but there are practical issues to deal with. If you're a cheapskate (like me) I may put up with it because getting unlimited data for $20/month may be worth the sacrifice. We'll be living in the RV in a little over a month so I'll see if I can make it work. It was just good to know that my original question about the "reach" seems to make it feasible. Barely, but feasible.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #20

I'm going to bring this thread back to the top.
After seeing this and going to do some research I found one of the ZTE Mobley devices at my local Best Buy. I then purchased and received an AC power adapter that will work on it. I plugged it in at my house. I was able to remove my laptop from my gigabit port, connect to the Mobley and got these results.

this is about 3x slower download and .60 of my current upload with my broadband connection. I'll call that a success for being away from the house to work.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:10 PM   #21

OH, as for the distance. I just walked to the other side of my house (about 40 feet / 2 walls) and the signal dropped by 1 on my phone's wifi receiver bars. I'd say that the signal strength of this little adapter is pretty good. I'd assume that through metal walls and stuck down under the dash of the car that would lessen quite a bit.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:10 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Today I ordered the AT&T Mobley from the AT&T store and the 110 ac adapter from ebay. Should have it in about one week. Hope it goes well and if it does it is a great deal.

This is a stand alone AT&T plan for $20 / month plus taxes for unlimited data. There are some limitations but still looks great.

Here is an article about it.

http://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-...or-zte-mobley/

Stuart
Old 03-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Good points. Well I've only rented push button starting cars so I'm not that well versed on their acc. operation.
Our late model truck has a standard key and clicks to a acc. notch which powers all the instruments, GPS audio head PC unit etc..
Yes, the tender attached with circle ring connectors to small screwed terminal already on the battery terminals. It stays connected all of the time. The unit is about the size of a small durable laptop power supply has a minimal LED status readout and is velcro'ed to a flat surface in the engine bay. It is unaffected by the operation of the truck it also has a quick disconnect cable for removal if need be. The truck also doesn't know or care the tender is there. It has a peak 12V of 6 Amp bulk and monitors battery state then falls back to float and pulsing float charge so it could be left plugged in indefinitely with no over-charging harm. The pulsing is said to prevent sulfur crystals on flooded type cells. Would also work for extended storage of coach house batteries etc.. Is comparable with flooded, AGM, and lithium cells. Yes 110V very low current draw.
MtM Trek ... I have a 2016 Duramax diesel Colorado with the unlimited OnStar plan. I would love to be able to keep the wifi on... key in is the problem. I need to know the draw for having the key on so I can find a Battery Tender like you set up. Seems the simplest way to go. You said yours puts out 6 amps? Is this the model that puts out 1.6? If you could throw me a link or a name of the tender? I do not want to screw up any of the electrics.... new trucks are so complex!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 PM   #24

"@John Hilley....A WiFi Extender would probably solve the problem if it didn't reach. There are ways to make it work with the ignition off."

Can you tell us what they are?
Old 03-20-2017, 05:56 PM   #25

ditto on that... I would love to know if it is possible to keep ignition off and still have wifi but I suspect a battery tender is what will be needed. Wifi takes juice.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
If you want WiFi when you are not in the car what about one of the 120 volt ac adapters. You can then plug it into the RV.

That is what our plan will be.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:42 AM   #27

All done. Let the Battery tender bring up battery to full charge. Turned key to accessory and checked LED light for full charge...stayed green. Went in house... turned on Apple TV...linked to truck wifi... bingo. Also laptop, phone and iPad all linked. Used internet ...watched a movie...3 hours later checked the Battery Tender... light green full charge. Took the truck for a ride and batty voltage was same as before. I think I have a "GO".

For the trucks that do NOT have OnStar ... There is a Mobley set up.

Plugs into the truck diagnostic port gives the truck a WIFI spot... same AT&T plan $20/month Unlimited
The beauty of this is......... with the adapter you can plug it into 110 volt AC in the house!!!!

AT&T Mobley from the AT&T store and the 110 ac adapter from ebay

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...or-zte-mobley/
Old 03-25-2017, 08:20 PM   #28

"All done. Let the Battery tender bring up battery to full charge. Turned key to accessory and checked LED light for full charge...stayed green. Went in house... turned on Apple TV...linked to truck wifi... bingo. Also laptop, phone and iPad all linked. Used internet ...watched a movie...3 hours later checked the Battery Tender... light green full charge. Took the truck for a ride and batty voltage was same as before. I think I have a "GO"."

You "think" you have a GO, that sounds like its a GONE Thought the issue was the key only stayed "on" for a "few minutes" then went off and down went the truck wi-fi system?
It sounds like that is not the case unless you have the push button start, is that correct?

And can you further explain "For the trucks that do NOT have OnStar ... There is a Mobley set up.Plugs into the truck diagnostic port gives the truck a WIFI spot... same AT&T plan $20/month Unlimited". and "The beauty of this is......... with the adapter you can plug it into 110 volt AC in the house!!!!".

It sound like to me what you are saying is if the vehicle does not have "OnStar", there is a way to still achieve the same result?