Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2017, 05:20 AM   #29

Indeed. All vehicles (2000-) have a diagnostic plug left of driver on lower dash. The Mobley ... is a wifi spot. AT&T plan the same as OnStar plan... (It's in the link in my last post). The beauty of the Mobley is with the AC adapter you can unplug from truck and bring it in there house and plug in for better signal in house. Read fine print and be sure your tower is sending out the right signal ...they can tell you what tower is near your house at the AT&T store)
Buckland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2017, 12:35 PM   #30

I think I got it, sounds great if its what I am thinking it means. But I am not talking about from the car into the house, I'm talking about boondocking in the RV with a toad that has that system! Obviously from what you are saying it depends if the system (you said Onstar or AT&T) tower is otherwise within range it would work but what do you mean it still depends on the "type of signal" you get from the tower if there is one nearby? Are there different types of signals?

Maybe I misunderstood but from what I gathered you were saying is that the Wi-Fi system available in the vehicle (toad) which has either Onstar or AT&T (Molbey) is only $20.00 a month for a truly unlimited data plan so you can use your computer, stream Nextflix and the like- Youtube, can be extended into the rig's router for Wi-Fi without using any of your cell phone data by tethering the cell to the rig's Wi-Fi router. Is that correct?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Tethering distance from car's wifi hotspot

If you read technomadia web site RVmobileinternet.com now public article it explains all very well.
I have ordered the 110 adapter from eBay and the mobely device from att when I set up the account. It's on its way now as is the adapter. In my case I have a old att phone plan ( unlimited but no streaming ) and had to set up a new separate account. When I "chatted " with the att rep I said I wanted to use in my 2013 Buick that wasn't wifi capable for wife to use on computer while I was driving. They did ask how I was using it! Mobely is free with 2 year contract or 99.00 without .. I got it without .i couldn't order the 20 plan online .. it's not listed but I was told I could change the plan as soon as I got a number assigned. I ordered a cheap plan online and will convert when I get the device
I didn't feel the need to cover the 110 adapter and use in my RV as my main internet service with the chat rep. That's not the market for this device. Limited use for grandkids in back seat while driving somewhere is video utube etc. no reason to get them thinking I'm a big data abuser off the bat
my experience with att and unlimited phone use is they don't restrict speed after the 22 g on the phone .. but I haven't been in a congested area. I'm hoping for the same thing with the "car" wifi device and I'll keep my expensive Verizon iPad that I use for "in house" wifi ready to activate if I'm in a area att won't work !!
Old 04-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #32

Clink on the link above and read the page on Mobley... it plugs into the diagnostic port. It is a wifi spot. Same plan at AT&T $20/month... all the same
Old 04-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
If you read technomadia web site RVmobileinternet.com now public article it explains all very well.
I have ordered the 110 adapter from eBay and the mobely device from att when I set up the account. It's on its way now as is the adapter. In my case I have a old att phone plan ( unlimited but no streaming ) and had to set up a new separate account. When I "chatted " with the att rep I said I wanted to use in my 2013 Buick that wasn't wifi capable for wife to use on computer while I was driving. They did ask how I was using it! Mobely is free with 2 year contract or 99.00 without .. I got it without .i couldn't order the 20 plan online .. it's not listed but I was told I could change the plan as soon as I got a number assigned. I ordered a cheap plan online and will convert when I get the device
I didn't feel the need to cover the 110 adapter and use in my RV as my main internet service with the chat rep. That's not the market for this device. Limited use for grandkids in back seat while driving somewhere is video utube etc. no reason to get them thinking I'm a big data abuser off the bat
my experience with att and unlimited phone use is they don't restrict speed after the 22 g on the phone .. but I haven't been in a congested area. I'm hoping for the same thing with the "car" wifi device and I'll keep my expensive Verizon iPad that I use for "in house" wifi ready to activate if I'm in a area att won't work !!

Best of luck with the Mobley...I would be very interested in how you like it... if there are any speed issues for streaming etc. I have the Onstar now but would prefer the Mobley and AC adapter... better for the house. So give a report when you have run it through the trials!
Old 04-04-2017, 12:26 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
As a update
All the items came within 5 days , I was busy so it took a couple more days to set up completely. Calling to change plan was easy but they had to transfer me to the connected car dept. which it would be good to just ask to go first and avoid the initial delay . I have read that the unlimited plan is now avail online so one hopefully won't have to go through the hassle of changing plans TO unlimited I did
Set up easy ..just plug in , log in phone computer or device and start surfing. Mine came with the upgraded software , at least I believe it did because after about 2 hours online when I got around to it I was able to set the battery save "auto off" to never in settings
Current speed out in the country part of Oregon ( drain Or ) where I'm sitting temporarily visiting relatives , was 13.47 down 5.35 up 68 ping. Not great but good enough. Devices connect easily and stream or download great. Amazon firestick and Apple TV connect and stream without buffering. Of course I'm not even near the 20 gig "possible" throttle however I doubt out here in the middle of nowhere , congestion will play a roll.
So far so good
Old 04-05-2017, 06:23 AM   #35

This is very hopeful. I have the on star now as I am going on a long trip. I probably will switch to the Mobley that way I don't need to go in and out of the house! Thanks for the update. If you find that your usage is being throttled let us know. I just tested twice the speeds 1st test was 10.23 Down and 10.9 Up... weird... the second was 11.3 Down and 11.1 Up. Who knows?
Old 04-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #36

I believe the tender of 1.6 amps is not enough...my fault... need to get another battery charger unit ...of higher amps to keep the battery at full charge ...question is ...is too many amps bad? Was thinking of 6 amps........