Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

The newest GPS choices

Our old RM 7710 is dying so it's time to to do some research. So I have discovered that Rand McNally is no longer making a traditional GPS and has gone to one based on an Android tablet; the RV-80 Tablet.
Garman still makes a traditional type GPS, the RV-770 NA LMT-S.

The RM is an 8" display but is about $100.00 more than the 7" display Garmin.
The RM has a 1200x600 display,,the Garmin has a 800x480.
The Garmin does its map updates direct over WiFi. I assume that RM still uses its "dock" on a PC but not sure.

So..... There is lots to like about either. However, if anyone is using either of these what do you not like about it?
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2017, 08:41 PM   #2

I have a Rand McNally Tab 8 and love it
Old 08-09-2017, 06:49 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post

The Garmin does its map updates direct over WiFi.

We have the RV770 and it's been just fine so far. It will do any updates over wifi, but that is an added feature. You can still connect it to your computer for updates. Most of the reviewer complaints you'll read on Amazon or elsewhere have been addressed with updates since it came out. My suggestion is if you get the Garmin, update it first thing. That's what I did then I tested the users complaints. They didn't exist for me.

BTW, I run Waze on my iPhone right beside the Garmin. Waze keeps me up on the "up ahead" things like vehicles, police, accidents, and such.

Safe travels!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
We have the RV770 and it's been just fine so far. BTW, I run Waze on my iPhone right beside the Garmin. Waze keeps me up on the "up ahead" things like vehicles, police, accidents, and such.

Safe travels!
I run this same setup. I like the heads up that Waze offers and the Garmin is keeping me on roads that are safe to travel in the RV.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:01 AM   #5

For owners of either one: what would you change, add, or remove from your particular unit.
Example, on our old 7710 I wish it had a simple volume control button/knob.
Putting in way points on the 7710 is very difficult.
The 7710 does not a ounce the exit number of your turn off, only highway number or street name.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Garmin RV 770 LTM. Has everything I need and voice control.

LEN
Old 08-10-2017, 02:30 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
For owners of either one: what would you change, add, or remove from your particular unit.
Example, on our old 7710 I wish it had a simple volume control button/knob.
Putting in way points on the 7710 is very difficult.
The 7710 does not a ounce the exit number of your turn off, only highway number or street name.

The 770 takes care of all of this for you. Give it the voice command (mine is set to "computer", like Startrek) and say "volume 8", and it sets it. It always tell you what exit number to take, usually about three times. Haven't put any waypoints in mine. It has many items already built in. You can see what's coming up on the next few exits by pressing a few buttons. One thing I like is I've set mine up to ask me if I want to take a break after so many hours of driving. When that pops up, it lists what's coming up down the road so you can pick. It'll insert that waypoint into your current route OR you can say don't ask me anymore and it won't. Nice!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #8

I have the RV 770. Got it in May. It does a few things great but some not so great. I especially like the offramp window feature it has. If traveling in big cities and it wants you to take a specific offramp a little window pops up and it shows you exactly what the offramp looks like with overhead signage and all. It also tells/shows you which lane you should be in as you approach and once into the offramp. It does a pretty good job of navigating you through congested high traffic areas.

A few things I was disappointed in. It does not keep up with road construction updates very well. It also seems to have trouble with frontage roads at times. Anything slightly off the beaten path seems to give it trouble too.

The voice command feature works pretty good but background noise will give it trouble.

Love the big screen and all the features it displays on the screen.

I run Waze and Carplay on my apple devices at the same time as the RV 770. Both Waze and Carplay are much more accurate with road conditions and routes off the beaten path. Carplay will find propane or a rv park or a restaurant much easier and more accurate than the RV-770.

If I could include the size of my RV into the Carplay app it would be my go to Nav system for sure.

The RV 770 is my first Nav style GPS. It has a lot of cool features but for $400+ I was expecting it to be a little more accurate with some things.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
UpVote for the Garmin 770, I have the Rand 7735 - it lasted less than 2years before it started resetting after a couple of hours.

The Garmin has a fantastic screen, easy to use and only has gotten squirrelly on me once. Base Camp, the mapping software, is a bit to learn...but it works fine once you get past the learning curve.

The Garmin does have one goofy thing with Base Camp, if you set the propane setting on the 770, Base Camp won't load trips properly; Base Camp doesn't understand or have a propane setting. Apparently a know issue/workaround - turn off the propane setting, load the trip and then turn on the propane setting. You think someone at Garmin would have had the bug fixed by now...sadly no.

Ditto for Waze as a backup to the Garmin...nice to know when there are road gaters and other obstacles ahead...

Ron
rmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have Rand McNally and the only thing that is pestering has to do with GPS routing. Despite taking the time to accurately enter the dimensions of the RV, some of the craziest routes get calculated. Also, for some reason it wants to take side roads rather than interstate, even though the preferences are set correctly. We update the SD card before every trip. Just not my favorite. I do love Waze though.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #11

There is a reason that Garmin is the leading standalone GPS unit on the market.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:07 AM   #12

Agree with others here on the Garmin 770. We love ours. Put over 3000 miles on it this summer and worked extremely well for us. Would definitely recommend it to others.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:10 PM   #13

Forgive my ignorance but... if the garmin runs on wifi, how does it work when wifi is out of range?
Xtrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrains View Post
Forgive my ignorance but... if the garmin runs on wifi, how does it work when wifi is out of range?
It uses wifi to interface with your computer for updates and stuff. It uses the gps for navigation. It links with your phone for weather and traffic and phone calls.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps