Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
If you want the "ultimate" system, why are you limiting your TVs to SD? Spend the money and upgrade your sat antenna to the Trav'ller and get HD. What good are nice HD TVs without an HD signal. While you are at it, get DVR capabilities with the Dish Hopper or Directv Genie.
will dish hopper work with r4sl/r5sl? any official words from kvh?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
will dish hopper work with r4sl/r5sl? any official words from kvh?
Nope -- just a Travler or one of these portables (1000.2, 1000.4, or DISH Pro Plus 500).
TechWriter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #17

We don't full time but try to have reliable internet on the road.

1. We have a nice sony blue ray box that is about a year old that also has internet features. Works very well and Amazon has them at about 50 bucks now.

2. We have one Verizon line with unlimited internet. So we just use that when we travel. My phone has a mini-hdmi connection (Motorola) and I can hook directly to the 32" HD flat screen. If I did not have the unlimited data plan from Verizon I would sign up to T mobile unlimited. In our area (San Diego) they have better coverage than Verizon according to Consumer Reports. And their USA coverage chart looks pretty good. It is gsm too instead of cdma so that means it will work when you take the flight to nearly anywhere else in the World, whereas cdma (Verion & Sprint) does not work hardly anywhere.

3. I think HD capacity even on a screen the size of our TV 32" makes a big difference compared to SD. We have an HD sat. We had a SD before. That said I got mad at Direct about a year ago and canceled their service. I use our antenna now for local, and that is HD, we use the internet, cable from RV parks, and I buy DVD's. I buy whole years of DVD's from Amazon or ebay and then resell when I am done. That is a very good system. Lots of shows are cheap. I bought 4 years of Breaking Bad for 45 bucks. And will likely get 50% + from selling on ebay.

4. As far as amp - receiver we have one of those funny looking Bose. Came with the coach. You can get them used on ebay. It meets your size requirements but they are expensive.

5. We also have an internet satellite dish. Came with our coach when we bought it used. The advantage is they work anywhere. I think I will try to sell it to Nina & Paul who have posted on this thread as they camp in REALLY remote places. I have got my internet satellite service on vacation right now. I might hook it up again if we go full time, but it is kinda slow and expensive. We usually do not camp in remote places so cell phone wireless works good for us. In the future though we might see a comeback of sat internet. Huges and Via Sat offer very high speed sat internet now for fixed sites at a cost similar to cable or dsl. It would be easy for them to offer mobile.

Good luck with full timing. That is a great adventure.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
We don't full time but try to have reliable internet on the road.

1. We have a nice sony blue ray box that is about a year old that also has internet features. Works very well and Amazon has them at about 50 bucks now.

2. We have one Verizon line with unlimited internet. So we just use that when we travel. My phone has a mini-hdmi connection (Motorola) and I can hook directly to the 32" HD flat screen. If I did not have the unlimited data plan from Verizon I would sign up to T mobile unlimited. In our area (San Diego) they have better coverage than Verizon according to Consumer Reports. And their USA coverage chart looks pretty good. It is gsm too instead of cdma so that means it will work when you take the flight to nearly anywhere else in the World, whereas cdma (Verion & Sprint) does not work hardly anywhere.

3. I think HD capacity even on a screen the size of our TV 32" makes a big difference compared to SD. We have an HD sat. We had a SD before. That said I got mad at Direct about a year ago and canceled their service. I use our antenna now for local, and that is HD, we use the internet, cable from RV parks, and I buy DVD's. I buy whole years of DVD's from Amazon or ebay and then resell when I am done. That is a very good system. Lots of shows are cheap. I bought 4 years of Breaking Bad for 45 bucks. And will likely get 50% + from selling on ebay.

4. As far as amp - receiver we have one of those funny looking Bose. Came with the coach. You can get them used on ebay. It meets your size requirements but they are expensive.

5. We also have an internet satellite dish. Came with our coach when we bought it used. The advantage is they work anywhere. I think I will try to sell it to Nina & Paul who have posted on this thread as they camp in REALLY remote places. I have got my internet satellite service on vacation right now. I might hook it up again if we go full time, but it is kinda slow and expensive. We usually do not camp in remote places so cell phone wireless works good for us. In the future though we might see a comeback of sat internet. Huges and Via Sat offer very high speed sat internet now for fixed sites at a cost similar to cable or dsl. It would be easy for them to offer mobile.

Good luck with full timing. That is a great adventure.
We seem to get more and more remote so maybe we'll take you up on that one of these days
Regarding the T-Mobile deal for those looking be aware that their "unlimited" plan only offers around 5Gb at full speeds after which they slow you down significantly. Sadly, there are really not any good "unlimited" plans anymore.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #19

Nina I just went to the Tmobile web site to see if my memory was correct. Here is what they offer on unlimited web.

"Unlimited talk, text and web
Unlimited high-speed data on our network. Up to 2.5GB of Smartphone Mobile HotSpot (SMH) service.
International roaming"

The key here is unlimited web but not over 2.5GB of mobile hotspot. As I mentioned in my post, my smartphone has a mini-hdmi connection. So I can plug the phone into the TV directly without using the hot spot. That was one of the strong points of my Motorola phone when I got it. It is a Droid Razr with 4G. Many Motorola phones have mini hdmi. They also come with software making the TV shows easy to play on the bigger screen. I even have a wireless keyboard / mouse setup for it.

But for me, we still have our Verizon unlimited. As long as we get to keep that I will stick with Verizon.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Good to know. Had not heard that on any of my rumor mills. All the folks who had the service previously got cancellation notices from Millenicom with the option to sign on with a different provider (bmi.net) at a special price, but no options to continue unlimited service with Millenicom. Will be interesting to hear what they offer if they bring them back.
Does that also apply to those of us with the unlimited Verizon service
from Millenicom?
Old 11-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post

Does that also apply to those of us with the unlimited Verizon service
from Millenicom?
Bukzin, Millenicom's Verizon service is not unlimited it is 20Gb/month. It was their Sprint service that was sold as unlimited

Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
If you want the "ultimate" system, why are you limiting your TVs to SD? Spend the money and upgrade your sat antenna to the Trav'ller and get HD. What good are nice HD TVs without an HD signal. While you are at it, get DVR capabilities with the Dish Hopper or Directv Genie.
You are correct! Should have named it The Complete WiFi/Internet/Bluray/TV System.
Xjaywalker is offline   Reply With Quote