RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
The Ultimate WiFi/Internet/TV/BluRay System

I know the title says a lot. Going FT in 2014 and want it all set up right.

I started reseaching what it would take to upgrade my old TV's and before I know it I am getting information on WiFi Blu Ray Players and Amplifiers and new HDTV's with Internet capabilities, speaker bars and bluetooth sub-woofers. The list goes on......

I tried to keep it simple and just upgrade the old TV's and connect to my old surround sound system. But ran into compatibilty issues with the old Toshiba (2006 AVR) vs the New Vizio LED HDTV I bought. So went looking for a new AVR and I started thinking of what we will need when we go FT next year. Wow! Things have changed and I am not an AV techie...

This much I do know.

Being FT we will need to have our own secure WiFi setup for Internet access. I do not like using RV Park WiFi. (if I can help it)

We have Verizon and was planning on using Millinicom Unlimited ~ 50GB.

I want an AVR/Blu Ray that will fit in the 22wx18hx13d cabinet space? The smallest I have found was a Harman Karmon AVR 1510/1710 @ 6h X 17w X 12d. Not much room left in the back.

I would like to keep my old surround speakers. (old speakers (2006- 8 ohm) still sound great). But if a sound bar will save me a lot of headache - so be it. I will make it work.

Blu Ray vs DVD player with or without streaming capabilities. If BR is the hottest thing and will give me better picture quality...why not.

I do not want to spend $1800 on a new Traveler SAT. The old KVH In-Motion SAT. SD is just fine for now. Am I off base here?

If you are FT in a motorhome and have your rig set up to accomadate all their entertainment and Internet needs. What is your set up? What would you recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Check Millinicom again. I heard they were getting rid of the unlimited which is on the Sprint network. Here is a list of sites to look for internet connections thou.
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-in-touch-internet.shtml
http://www.jackdanmayer.com/communication.htm
http://www.internetanywhere.us/home.html
http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com/Index.html?expandable=0
http://www.rv-satellite-internet.com/Choose_a_Satellite_Internet_Provider.html
http://www.highspeedsat.com/
http://www.datastormusers.com/rvsatinternet.cfm – MotoSat is now closed, but there is still information available
http://www.bigrigcentral.com/big-rig-satellite.html
http://dmbruss.com/zFullTimeLifeStyle/FTLS_StayingConnected.htm
http://www.exede.com/ - Thom called and several people on the phone said yes they are now doing RV and mobile satellite internet. Other's have emailed them and they emailed back with no so double check …....
http://www.autonetmobile.com/
http://millenicom.com/ and/or http://www.dslreports.com/forum/millenicom
http://www.groundcontrol.com/ - expensive but supposed to be the best

For blu-ray, check into a Playstation 3 or the 4 that is coming out. They may fit where you want.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, the Millenicom unlimited is gone. Sprint pulled the plug on it. Now the only option is their 20Gb hotspot which runs on Verizon. Still an excellent deal, but if you stream movies it will get used up very, very fast. This is the same reason we didn't get an internet-connected TV. Just didn't see us having enough bandwidth to really take advantage of it. We switched to an energy efficient LED TV, just not Internet-connected.

As for satellite we still have the old SD version and are fine with it. For the size of our main TV I don't see a huge visual difference. If our TV were bigger I'm sure it would be more obvious.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjaywalker View Post
I want an AVR/Blu Ray that will fit in the 22wx18hx13d cabinet space? The smallest I have found was a Harman Karmon AVR 1510/1710 @ 6h X 17w X 12d.
You might want to look at a Home Theater System like these "integrated" BluRay/AV units which have small footprints:
- BDV-N790W (2 HDMI inputs)
- Samsung-HT-F6500W (2 HDMI inputs)

Those HDMI inputs allow you to hook up a sat receiver or other devices to the receiver.

Nevertheless, I opted for a stand alone AV receiver and selected a Marantz NR1604 which I put in a center cabinet below my living room TV.

With the exception of the Marantz receiver, most of my AV equipment is in a small cabinet like yours.

However, whichever way you go, be sure to provide adequate ventilation. I suggest Coolerguys.com. They sell 120VAC, 12V, and USB-powered fans.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
FYI - Millenicom is currently negotiating with Sprint to bring that service back. It's not a done deal, but it is in the works...
Old 10-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #6
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

IMHO using a dedicated streaming device such as a Roku is far better than using a Blu-ray or a smart TV. The Roku firmware is automatically updated and improved and there are hundreds of available channels. The firmware in Blu-rays and TV's is rarely updated after they are purchased. For example, I bought a Blu-ray to use for Netflix but then Amazon decided to get into streaming and it wasn't on my player. So I bought a Roku and everything has been easy since then.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with docj. Don't spend any extra on Internet features for a TV or BD player. Get a Roku or AppleTV for streaming. Which depends on whether you're already an Apple user with content you're buying from the iTunes store. They both do Netflix just fine. AppleTV also does all the iTunes content, plus a number of other channels. The Roku has even more channels, including Amazon video, but does not do iTunes content.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
FYI - Millenicom is currently negotiating with Sprint to bring that service back. It's not a done deal, but it is in the works...
Good to know. Had not heard that on any of my rumor mills. All the folks who had the service previously got cancellation notices from Millenicom with the option to sign on with a different provider (bmi.net) at a special price, but no options to continue unlimited service with Millenicom. Will be interesting to hear what they offer if they bring them back.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
You might want to look at a Home Theater System like these "integrated" BluRay/AV units which have small footprints:
- BDV-N790W (2 HDMI inputs)
- Samsung-HT-F6500W (2 HDMI inputs)

Those HDMI inputs allow you to hook up a sat receiver or other devices to the receiver.

Nevertheless, I opted for a stand alone AV receiver and selected a Marantz NR1604 which I put in a center cabinet below my living room TV.

With the exception of the Marantz receiver, most of my AV equipment is in a small cabinet like yours.

However, whichever way you go, be sure to provide adequate ventilation. I suggest Coolerguys.com. They sell 120VAC, 12V, and USB-powered fans.
The Marantz is one that I was looking at, its close but it might fit. Thanks
Old 10-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
IMHO using a dedicated streaming device such as a Roku is far better than using a Blu-ray or a smart TV. The Roku firmware is automatically updated and improved and there are hundreds of available channels. The firmware in Blu-rays and TV's is rarely updated after they are purchased. For example, I bought a Blu-ray to use for Netflix but then Amazon decided to get into streaming and it wasn't on my player. So I bought a Roku and everything has been easy since then.
Thank you Docj.....I will look into the Roku.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
+1 on getting TV without all the internet extras and using other devices instead

If I remember correctly, Marantz makes a nice AVR with a small footprint.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you want the "ultimate" system, why are you limiting your TVs to SD? Spend the money and upgrade your sat antenna to the Trav'ller and get HD. What good are nice HD TVs without an HD signal. While you are at it, get DVR capabilities with the Dish Hopper or Directv Genie.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Looks like it's a done deal and Sprint dropped them. There was indeed a temporary patch-up followed by a reversal and it's now officially gone as an option. Technomadia just did a good write-up of the whole thing:
Millenicom & Sprint Break Up, Gets Back Together, Then Breaks Up Again | Technomadia

So, no more unlimited plans on Millenicom, sadly.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
Looks like it's a done deal and Sprint dropped them. There was indeed a temporary patch-up followed by a reversal and it's now officially gone as an option. Technomadia just did a good write-up of the whole thing: Millenicom & Sprint Break Up, Gets Back Together, Then Breaks Up Again | Technomadia So, no more unlimited plans on Millenicom, sadly.
Sigh. I actually tried to sign up for the BYOD plan yesterday afternoon, when it showed up again on their website. I was going to use the modem I got from them last year when I signed up for the unlimited plan. Chatted with CS, then placed the order on the website. Got the invoice and paid it. Got an email a couple hours later saying that the activation failed and they could no longer offer the service. :(