RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thinking of changing

I have Verizon and have had them for years with no major problems. Thinking of changing to Consumer Cellular for price. Has anyone done this and were you happy with the outcome? { coverage, price etc. }

Dan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Switched to T-Mobile 55 and over plan. Unlimited everything, international roaming...$55.00 flat for two lines. Never looked back.

Sbrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:49 AM   #3

DW has the T-Mobile 55 and over plan and I use Cricket, both plans are about the same price and unlimited data, with the Hotspot capability. We just completed a three month trip through the southwest US, Cricket using the AT&T network had more reliable coverage than T-Mobile, overall very happy with Cricket. Consumer Cellular uses the AT&T network also but does not have the Hotspot feature.
Bud03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:54 AM   #4

Switched from Verizon to Consumer Cellular a few years ago, have not noticed any difference in service other then pri$e
geoff1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #5

We had CC and were very pleased. Switched to T-Mobille 55 plus plan for the same money but unlimited data. CC uses the ATT network.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Put here on the West coast I've found Verizon to have better coverage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Verizon HAD better coverage a few years back but both T-mobile and AT*T have made major improvements. I have T-Mobile. I won't deal with Verizon as I have dealt with some of the companies that merged to form Verizon and I don't like taking that much aspirin.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:19 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We switched from ATT to CC and so the coverage was the same, which means it is usually ok and it has gotten better over the years.

We went from about $105 to $69 and that includes $10 for a hotspot. 3GB and anything over is an additional $10 up to 5GB which is the cut-off.

It works for us, but we are not heavy users,
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out FMCA's phone plans. Many subscribers are satisfied.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #10

For me it's all about service and I'm not talking about customer service. I travel in a lot of rural areas and even done tandem trips across the country with folks that have Sprint or T-Mobile and I would consistently have service in places that they wouldn't. I'd hate to break down in a place where there is no service.

Having said that, there are alternative carriers that use one of the big buys networks so you can get Verizon's service for less. Consumer Cellular uses AT&T's network so you basically get their coverage with Consumer Cellular's customer service.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:54 PM   #11

Current consumer cellular customer here. They are an AT&T reseller so coverage is not as good as verizon but better then t-mobile and much better then sprint. I run into dead zones when I visit family out in rural ks but it is generally fine. Pricing is fine but there is no option for unlimited data and largest data plan is only 10gb. We are probably going to switch to cricket once my sisters phone is paid off. Cricket has a heavy group discount on there "unlimited" plan (throttled to 3mbit at all times) so we would actually pay 15 less a month vs the shared 10gb plan with have with CC. Consumer cellular's main feature is the excellent customer service. If you don't use a lot of data they can also be pretty cheap.

If you want unlimited data cricket (at&t subsidiary) or metro pcs (t-mobile subsidiary) are better options. They are 55/60 usd ( trottled at 3mbit or 8mbit) and 50/60 usd (the 60 dollar unlimited has 10gb of hotspot usage) respectively. Oh, nearly forgot if you setup auto pay with cricket you get a 5 dollar a month discount.
biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:51 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My experience with CC wasn't what I would have hoped for. We were planning a trip around New Year's Day so I ordered their SIM card about Thanksgiving with the intention of activating it about Christmas. Apparently they start your "free" 30 days when the SIM is shipped so before I even inserted the SIM in my phone my 30 trial was over - my bad on that part.

I used a Samsung Galaxy S7 which when using my Verizon SIM showed 4G pretty much everywhere we went but CC only had 3G on the entire trip from the Gulf Coast to Memphis. When I called to cancel I was told that 3G was just as fast/good as 4G and that my "old" Galaxy S3 was the problem - do what?

Anyway I ended up paying close to $40 for my "free" trial which was never used except to see if I had service so for now I'm sticking with Verizon. Had AT&T for years but in the south at least we have much better coverage with Verizon and that's from personal experience.
MSGulfCoast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #13

Our S&B is in Sedona. We have been with ATT for years, but I can tell you that coverage in Sedona is much better with Verizon. ATT gave me for free a microcell that brings cell coverage into the house over the internet. It takes me from one bar to four so all good. But that doesn't work when traveling anywhere away from the house.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGulfCoast View Post
My experience with CC wasn't what I would have hoped for. We were planning a trip around New Year's Day so I ordered their SIM card about Thanksgiving with the intention of activating it about Christmas. Apparently they start your "free" 30 days when the SIM is shipped so before I even inserted the SIM in my phone my 30 trial was over - my bad on that part.

I used a Samsung Galaxy S7 which when using my Verizon SIM showed 4G pretty much everywhere we went but CC only had 3G on the entire trip from the Gulf Coast to Memphis. When I called to cancel I was told that 3G was just as fast/good as 4G and that my "old" Galaxy S3 was the problem - do what?

Anyway I ended up paying close to $40 for my "free" trial which was never used except to see if I had service so for now I'm sticking with Verizon. Had AT&T for years but in the south at least we have much better coverage with Verizon and that's from personal experience.
This is the opposite of our experience. We are down here in south east Texas and have had good service from CC, probably going on 10 years now. It uses the ATT network which covers just about as much area as Verizon and except for a few times out in the boonies, usually always gives us 4g service as well.

Having said that, i'm not sure how good a deal it would be for someone that uses their phone a lot. We don't use a lot of data or need lots of talk time so therefore only need the lower minutes/data plans. At $36 total monthly cost for both lines, it works out perfect for us. The cost would definitely be higher for most since they use their phones a lot more than we do.