Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #1
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Tire Minder Problem

Not having any luck getting Tire Minder (Minder Research) to return my call so here goes: I have one tire location that is giving me erroneous readings (says 85# when 3 tire gauges all read 112-115#) I have changed out the sensor, played with the valve stem (loosening and tightening it), and changed out the batteries. Help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2016, 01:46 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the Tire Traker, similar but not the same system, however I've had similar problems and usually they were solved by replacing the battery. You said you had done that, so try deleting and reprogramming the sensor. If that doesn't work it may be simply a faulty system.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:09 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Not having any luck getting Tire Minder (Minder Research) to return my call so here goes: I have one tire location that is giving me erroneous readings (says 85# when 3 tire gauges all read 112-115#) I have changed out the sensor, played with the valve stem (loosening and tightening it), and changed out the batteries. Help!
I had the same problem last year, called them and they sent me a new one.
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Do as I did with the first TPMS that I purchased, Doran TPMS, and had many problems with it over three years, Dump it!

Then buy one that you can trust. I did and purchased the Tire SafeGuard TPMS and now have three of them. One for the coach/trailer/car combination, one for my motorcycle and one for my wife's car.

I have no patience for safety systems that don't work as promised.

The Tire SafeGuard TPMS works as promised! I trust it completely.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:14 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Please clarify your troubleshooting...

Did you swap out the "bad" sensor with another one and get the same reading problems? If that is the case, there are only 2 common points, the Tire Minder or the tire stem.

You didn't mention the location of the bad sensor so here is what I would do...

1. Make sure you keep sensors well separated when programing. I have found that if you have them in a pile you can sometimes get a cross programming if you are close to the pile as you program one.

2. Pick any sensor and program it to the front left wheel and test. Then, without reprogramming the position on the TM, test it on all wheels.
  • If no problem after testing on all stems then put it in the "good pile" and move to the next sensor.
  • If it is bad on more than one stem it is a VERY HIGH probability it is that sensor. Put it in the "bad pile".
  • If the sensor is only bad on one stem, it starts to point at that stem. Mark that stem and put the sensor in the "?" pile until you confirm with other sensors the problem repeats on that stem.

Obviously, if all/most sensors are bad on the same stem, something is going on with the stem. Before going beyond 2 sensors testing bad on the same stem I would check the stem for any burrs and clean it up if needed. I would also preemptively replace the core. I've seen the core get bent a little bit and affect sensor operations. I always keep a set of cores and core removal tool on hand when working with tire pressure and sensor changes. Over the course of a few years I've replaced a few cores. Make sure you get high pressure cores.

3. Repeat with all sensors programmed for the front left wheel.

Conversely, if an individual sensor is bad in more than one position, then it needs replacement. I keep 2 extra sensors ready for various reasons but the most likely purpose is to replace one with a dead battery and I don't want to take that time to replace the battery. I've learned to reprogram sensors quickly.

You could even find that the process of reprogramming all sensors during the test "kicks" something and you don't find a problem at all. That will drive you crazy. LOL

There is a VERY REMOTE chance that you monitor is acting funny but if you follow my testing process to the end, you should be able to rule that out entirely. However, if after testing nothing makes sense then it is a possibility.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote