Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #1

TomTom

I have been using a TomTom navigation unit this summer with some really crazy routing. Sometimes it is right on but on more than a few occasions it has wanted to send me on a route that makes no sense. Coming from Denver to Tulsa it wanted me to go to Kansas City & then south to Joplin. Crazy! In Iowa I ended on miles & miles of dirt roads. Anyone else had problems with TomTom nav. units?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have had that happen with our Garmin. Does the Tom Tom have an annoying woman giving directions? Recalculating!
Old 11-05-2011, 06:54 PM   #3

Yes, same annoying voice. You know how we hate getting directions from a women. It's strange that when I go to the TomTom web site it shows the correct routing form Denver to Tulsa.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
CD

Yes. I have one that I have had for 4/5yrs. I have had it (on occasion) want me to go on a side road instead of the main road that I was on. I knew where I was going so I ignored it. Last week DW was going to a hospital in Seattle and I had programed & checked it. It showed the route right. When she got into Seattle it had her going all over until she just went where she thought she should and when she got close it got back on track. Our's has a man's voice that irrtates DW. If you want to complain to Tom Tom you have my permision to include this.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:20 AM   #5

Mine tried to send me thru a pasture .Aftre about 5 years it stopped completely.As far as the voice it had many options, both male and female.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing I have found with my TomTom is to make sure to set it to FASTEST route vs SHORTEST. The shortest routes are the ones that seem to send you down the dirt paths.
BransGram08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check your routing defaults.... do you want the fastest, shortest, or the route that has no toll fees. The "no toll fees" option can end up in some really strange routes.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:56 PM   #8

We have a Tom Tom Go. I typed in our home address today as a start place. It wanted to start me at an area approx. 10 miles s w of my location.

Tried several different scenarios. System seems to be whacked out!!
DesertRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:18 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Got a Tom Tom for xmas 2yrs ago. I like to go "off-roading", and it was useless. Took it back the Bestbuy, then bought a Garmin. I think it was 2 models up from the cheapest.

I set it up with a Brittish woman voice. Sounds like she is talking to James Bond....kool.

It works fine, and has most of the dirt roads I need.

For the work truck (to pick-up and drop off customers, etc) we just got a Garmin 50LM.

It seems pretty good. Staples, $170.

I agree that you need to go into the settings and set the voice you like, and set the routing for fastest. That seems to be the easiest driving routing.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce View Post
Got a Tom Tom for xmas 2yrs ago. I like to go "off-roading", and it was useless. Took it back the Bestbuy, then bought a Garmin. I think it was 2 models up from the cheapest.
The TomTom is excellent for pavement, but sucks for off-pavement use. I actually prefer the TomTom for pavement and it worked better than Garmin or my smartphone while in Spain and Italy.

I use a Garmin in the Wrangler.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #11

TomTom works even better if you keep the maps upgraded.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
We downloaded Yoda voice for our tom tom.
greggholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #13

With the tom tom ifyou want to start from where you are you click start from, find and my position and it will tell you where you are. I'm in augusta GA now and have been driving several different places today. All it has to do is find my position and the address where I'm going.
Old Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote