Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #1

Traffic App-- WAZE

I see that this way cool app has been mentioned in other threads but IMO, it deserves a thread of it's own. My sister told me about it and just today, it saved us from sitting hours in traffic at 2 separate bad wrecks. We were in the car thank goodness rather than the coach so we were able to take a goat path around one and not sit 4-5 hours waiting for the road to open again.

From the website:

"WAZE is the world's largest community based traffic and navigation app. Join other drivers in your area who share real-time traffic and road info."

Hopefully, the passengers are updating and not the drivers but updates are real time and show a multitude of hazards.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 08:15 PM   #2

Google maps will also show you traffic real time. Waze bought by Google
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
I see that this way cool app has been mentioned in other threads but IMO, it deserves a thread of it's own. My sister told me about it and just today, it saved us from sitting hours in traffic at 2 separate bad wrecks. We were in the car thank goodness rather than the coach so we were able to take a goat path around one and not sit 4-5 hours waiting for the road to open again.

From the website:

"WAZE is the world's largest community based traffic and navigation app. Join other drivers in your area who share real-time traffic and road info."

Hopefully, the passengers are updating and not the drivers but updates are real time and show a multitude of hazards.
LOL Believe me.. nobody driving down the road is updating these maps in real time what is happening is when you are connected to the Internet your smart phone is sending latitude and longitude and speed to servers that calculate something must be wrong if you're only doing 5 miles per hour.[emoji3]
Old 07-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
LOL Believe me.. nobody driving down the road is updating these maps in real time what is happening is when you are connected to the Internet your smart phone is sending latitude and longitude and speed to servers that calculate something must be wrong if you're only doing 5 miles per hour.[emoji3]
Actually, at the 2nd wreck, it did know when we were sitting in traffic waiting to get on the ramp to get us off the interstate and asked us if we were sitting in traffic BUT we knew there was a wreck ahead because of the icon and the comments that there was a fatality. We also were able to decide which way to detour by looking at all of the little traffic icons plastered all over the roads.

We got stuck at the 1st wreck because I didn't have it on my phone & my sister's phone had no signal. We wound up having to turn around on the road & back track several miles to get off & work our way around it. TomTom came through with directions!

Gotta love technology. At times.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I have been using waze along WITH GPS and is far more informative accurate and up to date than google traffic. It's great for announcing location of upcoming police vehicles and automatically re routing to better alternatives. It was originally Invented in Israel and has a great story behind its purchase by Google. The company's founders had a more lucrative offer than google's but chose the lower offer in order to save employees jobs. That myfriends,is integrity
Garshom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:52 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
It is the users of WAZE who keep it updated with reports of accidents, construction delays, lane closures, the location of cops, etc... very up to the minute.

Been using WAZE for 2 years now. Only use it in the car, still using RM in the coach.

WAZE compares your speed to the posted speed and asks if you are in traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:51 AM   #7

Oh yah, people post traffic cops, breakdowns and such. The servers do the traffic side.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:00 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
That poor app must get tired in Los Angeles and Orlando!
Bowiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #9

We have been using is since it became available. It has saved us countless hours of sitting in traffic and allows us to make educated decisions to continue to our next point or stop driving.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We have used Waze in our motorhome and it has proved helpful in routing us around traffic. However, I have been hesitant to use it while I my motorhome. My fear is that Waze will divert me to residential streets that barely fit a car, let alone an RV. I wish Waze offered a way to take the dimensions of my Navion into account.
Mblank66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowiesmom View Post
That poor app must get tired in Los Angeles and Orlando!

Impressed my friends on a long haul dash from Portland to Salinas with that App. They liked the "Police Ahead" feature. Works especially well in CA where 55 mph is the max speed for towing. Nothing like hamstringing a professional driver or folks wanting to get somewhere.. limiting them to 55... instead of the inattentive Prius drivers.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblank66 View Post
We have used Waze in our motorhome and it has proved helpful in routing us around traffic. However, I have been hesitant to use it while I my motorhome. My fear is that Waze will divert me to residential streets that barely fit a car, let alone an RV. I wish Waze offered a way to take the dimensions of my Navion into account.
your RV should fit anywhere a regular car would...except a parking garage. Waze can only suggest routes... not take control of your vehicle.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote