Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 10:56 AM   #1

Trailer Coax Wiring

I'm a pretty tech-saavy person, but I have an issue which is perplexing me.

I have a 2012 Innsbruck (Made by Gulfstream) travel trailer. On the left rear, it has a coax cable connector, where usually we connect up to a campground's cable TV. It goes to a center console inside the trailer, connects to a weingard amplifier, with outputs for TV Set 1 (on the front of the plate) and has a 12V Cigarette Lighter plug (on the front of the plate). Inside the wall on the back of the plate, it has connections for incoming cable (which I verified goes to the rear left of the trailer,) Antenna (which I verified goes up to the weingard antenna,) and a coax output for TV Set 2, which apparently goes to a coax connector on the right middle side of the trailer.

If I am connected to the campground cable via the connector on the rear left, and then I connect a TV to the connector on the mid-right side of the trailer, I can watch cable TV.

If I disconnect the cable which is behind the wall that normally connects to TV Set 2 (which goes to the mid right side of the trailer) and connect my satellite dish to it on the outside, and connect to the cable on the inside of the trailer to the Satellite Receiver, I get no Satellite signal. (effectively I am just trying to use the cable as a way to input the satellite signal from dish to the receiving inside the trailer without making any new holes). But, this does not work.

Logically I cannot figure this out, unless there is something in the roof or behind a wall I do not understand on that cable.

Anyone here have an idea what might be happening? I'd really like to run the satellite signal to receiver without making new holes in the trailer.

Thanks!

-Tom-
trhendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #2

Logically it is supposed to work. But lets get back to the basics.

Is the cable really straight thru? Did you check it for continuity by shorting one end and then using an ohm meter? Sometimes there could be an amplifier or splitter in line.

Lastly your satellite receiver should be supplying DC voltage to the satellite dish. Should should be able to measure the voltage on the back of the receiver with a volt meter for reference. And then connect the receiver back to the coax and measure at the other end of the coax the same voltage.

My bet is there is something inline.

Happy troubleshooting
-Brian
cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:23 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
is there a splitter somewhere in the line to TV2? A splitter will not pass the 18V to the LNBF on the dish. If there is a splitter, and you cannot bypass it, replace it with a signal separator which does pass the 18V thru.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
is there a splitter somewhere in the line to TV2? A splitter will not pass the 18V to the LNBF on the dish. If there is a splitter, and you cannot bypass it, replace it with a signal separator which does pass the 18V thru.
I have no access to inside the roof or walls, have no idea if something is attached in line, but I suspect something has to be. Earlier suggestion of VOM testing is what I will do next.

I was really hoping someone has run in to this and knows exactly what the issue might be.
trhendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:30 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Do you have an extra coax hook up somewhere for a TV in the basement or outside? There could be a splitter installed somewhere running to that extra hookup. As mentioned before, normal splitter will not pass the LNB voltage from the receiver to the sat antenna.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring