Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

Transferring VHS tapes to DVDs

I have 5 or 6 VHS 6-hr tapes I'd like to transfer to DVD for future storage/saving. In reading about doing this on the Internet I find one place says to use a video capture card and another place suggests using a VHS/DVD side by side player/recorder. If I'm going to be doing just a few VHS tapes the one site says the capture card will be the cheapest and easiest but then I see where a Sony machine can run over $2K but Best Buy has the side/side machines for around $250. But at least I've have use later for the side/side player recorder when my current VHS recorder craps out.

Also, I've read about being careful the computer format will be compatible with my DVD player. Have no idea what they are talking about or how to tell this.

I have a 5 year-old HP laptop running Vista but I'm not all that hip on computer knowledge so wondering about the adviseability of using the video card.

Any simple easy suggestions for making these transfers as I've never done anything like this before?

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #2

I have used services that will do it for you. You can find a lot of places. Not to expensive.

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
bubbletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The capture card will provide you the best quality and a lot more options like editing the video before you save it out to DVD. However, it will take you more time to create a DVD with a capture card as you first must read in the VHS tape then record it to DVD. With a combo DVD/VHS player/recorder it is basically a one step process. Put the VHS tape in, then put in a blank DVD and press the "transfer" button. Not all DVD/VHS combo units allow you to record to a DVD so make sure you get one that will allow recording.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #4

I guess the cheapest way would be to just purchase a DVD recorder and hook it into my VHS player/recorder. But then I'd probably never have any use for the DVD recorder again since most I've seen don't have a program dial.
Appreciate the responses, gives me much to think about.

Wagonmaster2
Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the videos are really, really good, I have such a device - mater of fact two of them. (Long story) So, as I said, really, really good, you could send them to me and I'll record them for you. But they have to be really, really good.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
My wife bought a VHS/DVD side by side player/recorder on Ebay to copy the VHS to DVD and it worked well. Later found out the Sony player in the RV would have done the same thing.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's a few more things to consider. The side by side type of recorders encode a copyright into each DVD. Hence, you cannot make copies of the DVD without using a ripper program to take out the copyright and re-burn a "clean" copy.

An alternative is to purchase and use an M-peg encoder. There are simple to use and inexpensive. Using your VHS, plug into the encoder and then plug the encoder into into your computer. record up to 2 hours and then burn a DVD.

Then copies can be made at your leisure.
Txcirclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:05 AM   #8

If you are just going to use it for the few tapes you have and then not again, you may be able to find a cheap one at a pawn shop.

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
bubbletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcirclem View Post
Here's a few more things to consider. The side by side type of recorders encode a copyright into each DVD. Hence, you cannot make copies of the DVD without using a ripper program to take out the copyright and re-burn a "clean" copy.

An alternative is to purchase and use an M-peg encoder. There are simple to use and inexpensive. Using your VHS, plug into the encoder and then plug the encoder into into your computer. record up to 2 hours and then burn a DVD.

Then copies can be made at your leisure.
Years ago I had a Panasonic portable tape recorder/player. The camera for it was very, very heavy. I spent $10 to have a resistor replaced and it allowed coping of the so called "protected" media. I only copied what I purchase and only to keep the original as back up. I do not condone copying material that is not owned.

I subsequently no longer have that VHS recording device but I did have a lot of tapes recorded with the camera on it, and on several VHS tapes that other family members had recorded with their cameras.

I have the side-by-side VHS to DVD/DVD to VHS (2 of them) and they do not put any type of copy right encoding on any media either transferred or recorded. I have converted many non-copyrighted VHS to DVD using that method and then copying those DVD's to other DVD Disks so family members could have them. I have never run into any problem viewing those DVD's on any media.

Am I missing something in your post?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Take a look HERE for a USB device and software made by Roxio. Cost is 69.99 on their site. May be cheaper other places.

It won't copy protected tapes but there are similar devices made by other manufacturers that will.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #11

I have the easy Roxio. Found it at SAMs for about $49 a few months ago. It's simple enough for ME to use, and i am finally getting around to copying some VHS tapes I made from Super-8 movies when my kids were little. My problem is that apparently the movie framing causes a flickering in the tape and consequently in the DVD. But the movies are getting old, so something had to be done.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #12

Another vote for the USB Roxio thing. I moved all my sons vhs-c to DVD.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
My wife bought a VHS/DVD side by side player/recorder on Ebay to copy the VHS to DVD and it worked well. Later found out the Sony player in the RV would have done the same thing.
Safe Travels
Bob
I think I have that same system in my 2004 Meridian 36G. Could you give a little explanation as to what/how to do the transfer from VHS to DVD in the coach? I thought those DVDs were only players and wouldn't record anything. Once I copy these 5-6 music tapes I made off of VH1 TV several years ago I probably won't have any more need for something to do the conversion.

Appreciate any of your usual good advice and suggestions.

Wagonmaster2
Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #14

Another question I just thought about. I guess most DVDs are 2 hours long, and if the VHS tape is 6 hours long do you have to monitor how long the transfer is going on in order to stop the VHS tape machine and change to another DVD? Nothing is automatic about stopping everything when reaching the end of the DVD?

Wagonmaster2