Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Traveler and Wind

We are in Concord, NC and the wind has been blowing pretty hard today. This afternoon, we are getting intermittent signal. We had a Traveler on our previous coach and don't recall it being very sensitive to wind.

Have others had this issue in strong winds?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #2

Them bits are getting blown away in all that wind!

Seriously, the Trav'ler is greatly improved over prior models from Winegard open dishes. Everything is gear driven, and they just don't move around in the wind.

It might be worth a call to Winegard tech support to see what they say. I don't know of any parts on Trav'lers that wear and are affected by the wind, Gary.

It would also be worth climbing up on the roof to see if any mounting parts are loose on the arm. And be careful up there!

P.S. 6" of heavy wet snow here overnight. Yuk..

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
Them bits are getting blown away in all that wind!

Seriously, the Trav'ler is greatly improved over prior models from Winegard open dishes. Everything is gear driven, and they just don't move around in the wind.

It might be worth a call to Winegard tech support to see what they say. I don't know of any parts on Trav'lers that wear and are affected by the wind, Gary.

It would also be worth climbing up on the roof to see if any mounting parts are loose on the arm. And be careful up there!

P.S. 6" of heavy wet snow here overnight. Yuk..
Sure hope we've see the last of that white stuff for this year.

Don, the coach has been rocking all day with some pretty stiff winds. I meant to store the dish while we were out and about but forgot. Anyway, I lowered it and let it go through the sat find process again and it is all fine now.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I can only having to retract my Trav'lr dish once and the winds were >50mph so I just did it for safety.

Although the dish is rock solid, if your coach is rocking around, so is the dish and that could be that cause.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
the coach has been rocking all day with some pretty stiff winds. I meant to store the dish while we were out and about but forgot. Anyway, I lowered it and let it go through the sat find process again and it is all fine now.
It's not uncommon to have to reset the Trav'ler occasionally. Sometimes, after our airbags deflate a bit after a couple of days I have to do what you just did. With the kind of wind you are reporting it's not surprising that the dish pointing was a bit off.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Yes, I doubt the antenna moved, but if the coach is shaking, so is the antenna. Also, With the wind rocking the coach around, the coach may have settled some which again would point the antenna elsewhere in the sky....

I might be over cautious, but if I am not comfortable with the awning out, then I put the antenna down.. LOL
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:48 AM   #7

I have had the same problem. I have attributed it to the wind as the motor home shakes a lot and with some air bag settling, I believe this is just the nature of the beast. The antenna quickly reacquires the signal once I tuen it on. My jacks are down, but the wind has been pretty strong at times.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
I might be over cautious, but if I am not comfortable with the awning out, then I put the antenna down.. LOL
If we did that we'd NEVER have our Trav'ler up. We'll put the awning up if it starts moving too much, but those winds don't come close to what it would take for us to put our Trav'ler down.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We've experienced gusting winds in excess of 50 mph in Monument Valley and in Las Vegas in the last two weeks. In neither case did we pixilate out with the Traveller (the over the air was a little with digital channels). We were on jacks, and pretty stable in both cases. Pretty impressed.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:34 PM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I'm pretty sure the Trav'ler is rated at 50 mph winds when deployed and 100 mph winds when stowed. We winter on the Texas shore and only stowed the dish once this winter.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
I have gone through +30 several times over the last month here in north east NC and what I have learned is that if the wind is coming from the south which would hit our dish on the face it would rock it back about 1/2" and would cause it to pixilate. If the wind is out of any other direction it will not rock it. I got on the roof and checked it and on each side at the base there are two big allen bolts, that is where mine is rocking. Both bolts are rock solid tight. The rig parked right next to mine also has the travler and we checked his and his also rocks about 1/2" at the exact same location and he also lost signal in a south wind hitting his dish straight on the face. neither of us could see any way to tighen that small amount of slack.

Again, any direction other than strait into the dish face does not move it at all. And when I say 1/2" of slack, that would be measured at the top of the dish. Get up on your rig and see if this is your issue also.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Makes sense...it is plastic, so one might expect some deformation if the wind speed and direction is just right. Just hasn't happened to me...yet, is the operative.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Makes sense...it is plastic, so one might expect some deformation if the wind speed and direction is just right. Just hasn't happened to me...yet, is the operative.
As I recall, the only plastic on the Travler is the cover on the LNB. Your coach will be rolling over before that deforms.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:57 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Maybe deformation is not the right word...meant the top of the dish moving in a strong wind:(

Tags
travel