Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2017, 03:56 PM   #1

Traveling out of your servive area

I'm leaving in a couple of weeks and plan on taking my receiver and portable Directv dish with me. I've been reading the post about how to call in and change my service address. It's my understanding that if you travel over 200 miles from your address, that's when you have to change your service address in order to receive the local channels in the new area I'll be at. My question is, the 200 miles is that air miles? I'll be traveling around 250 miles from home, but I just check the air miles and it's only 124 miles.
carwash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash2 View Post
I'm leaving in a couple of weeks and plan on taking my receiver and portable Directv dish with me. I've been reading the post about how to call in and change my service address. It's my understanding that if you travel over 200 miles from your address, that's when you have to change your service address in order to receive the local channels in the new area I'll be at. My question is, the 200 miles is that air miles? I'll be traveling around 250 miles from home, but I just check the air miles and it's only 124 miles.
I would wait until you get to your destination and try it. Our friends have DirecTV and they can get a signal sometimes 400+ miles from home. With Dish network, I can receive up to 250 miles away most times, and yes that's air miles.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I receive my home DISH channels from 200 to 400 plus miles in some directions.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #4

Depends. We have been in the far SE part of the state and still got home local channels. We have been in southern BC and lost them. Unless there is something on the locals you just must have dont worry about it.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #5

The locals are broadcast on whats called a spot beam. How far you can travel depends on where you are in the spots signal.
Think of it like a spotlight shinning down from the satellite.
If your on the east edge, you may be able to go 250 miles west but only 50 miles east.

Be sure to check for the 4 network channels in the 390 channel range, if using a Standard Definition, single LNB dish.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I'm 250 miles out right now and I'm not getting my local Direct TV stations, when I have this situation we use the OTA antenna for area programming.
FLjeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The locals are broadcast on whats called a spot beam. How far you can travel depends on where you are in the spots signal.
Think of it like a spotlight shinning down from the satellite.
If your on the east edge, you may be able to go 250 miles west but only 50 miles east.

Be sure to check for the 4 network channels in the 390 channel range, if using a Standard Definition, single LNB dish.
I have HD.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:27 PM   #8

That sounds great, I won't have cell service to call in if it doesn't work. I guess we can live with it, only going to be there for a week this go around. Thanks for the info!
Old 10-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLjeffro View Post
I'm 250 miles out right now and I'm not getting my local Direct TV stations, when I have this situation we use the OTA antenna for area programming.
We tried out OTA antenna the last time we were at the camp and you can't pick up that first station.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:54 AM   #10

Dish phone reps know little about Dish For RV. Expect your billing address to be changed, your location to be incorrect or local channel package to disappear entirely. We've been through it many times!
Dranoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranoel View Post
Dish phone reps know little about Dish For RV. Expect your billing address to be changed, your location to be incorrect or local channel package to disappear entirely. We've been through it many times!
Hopefully DirecTV, which the OP has, is better. [emoji4]
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #12

Just spent the summer in eastern Idaho almost 600 miles from our Portland , OR base...still got our Portland locals.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwash2 View Post
I use direct and when I loose whateverlocals station i have I contact direct and have my service area changed to a random (i do mean random, i just pick a post office or some other bussiness on google and use that address) For some reason they need a full address not just a zip code.........silly.

I drove 500 miles from Tampa once and was suprised to still get Local tampa stations, 100 miles moore and they were gone. Other times i have gone maybe 250 miles from a location and the spot beam already failed forcing me to change it again.

If i get OTA local stations i do not bother with it. i do like having the local stations of where I am not where I was or where i might be going. More than anything to see local weather on the news and get a feel for what might be interesting in the area.
jbrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #14

If you enable SD channels you may see your local channels much farther away

Tags
travel