Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TST Internal TPMS Sensors

I have been researching TPMS systems. I currently have a Pressure Pro system with non-flow through, non user replaceable battery sensors. Additionally the sensors do not transmit tire temperature information. Based on their age, the sensors will be coming up for battery replacement soon. Trade in sensors are $50 each, so I could be looking at $500 to replace them all. I'm therefore looking at replacing the entire system with a TST 507 system. The benefits would be user replaceable batteries and temperature reporting. I also read on their website that they now offer INTERNAL sensors that are compatible with the 507 display. On my Honda CR-V, the external sensors stick out beyond the wheel rim and are prone to damage from clipping curbs, automatic car washes etc. Internal sensors would solve this problem but would obviously make the original Honda TPMS inoperative. Does anyone see a problem with doing this (provided of course I have a TST display panel in the Honda)?
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #2

The TST internal sensors have a claimed 7 yr battery life. I have them on my fifth wheel trailer which has aluminum rims. They work great and look no different than any valve stem. I labeled each of them, programmed them with the monitor and then had Discount Tire install the sensors while getting new tires on the trailer. With real PSI and temp info they are much better than the usual factory tpms. My only question is can the factory CRV tpms system be turned off or disabled so the idiot light will be off?

I still use external sensors on my truck's rear tires and the trailer internal sensors provide more accurate temp readings than the external sensors. Will probably switch to internal sensors next time I need new truck tires.

The 507 system is great and the monitor is a very handy size to use in or out of the vehicle.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Pressure Pro trade in sensors are $36 each.
Now your total is $360

A new TST 507 system will cost $559

Or you can email Douglas McMeen at Pressure Pro and he will probably let you trade your Monitor in for a new one that reads temp. for $115 and new sensors at $35 each.
For a total of $465
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Lotta people love their TST systems.. as I do. I'm very curious about the internal sensors, but I also worry about battery life. And of course, there's the cost of installing them, which is not minimal on a Class A DP. I wonder how the auto manufacturers do their internal sensors? As they seem to last a REALLY long time...
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had to replace two of the internal sensors on my SUV. Not only do you have to dismount the tire and then remount it on the rim, they are expensive to purchase.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I actually had bought internal sensors for my Winnebago but after I saw them and they tried to install them on my inner duals I was not confident about them. I opted to go to the pass through models.

Technically, I would think the internal sensors would be more accurate for temps. I often think external sensor temp numbers are barely more than ambient.

Having seen the internals and also owning a CRV I would be concerned about stem length. The CRV stems are pretty short but that works fine with the externals. I don't think it will be easy to scrub curbs with the way they are.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #7

I have a TST 507 and I am very happy with it. I did get a high temperature alarm coming down mountains out west due to excess braking so I know the temp alert works. I'm sure the rears would not work because of the valve stem extenders.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Technically, I would think the internal sensors would be more accurate for temps. I often think external sensor temp numbers are barely more than ambient.
I would think that you would be correct, but in actuality the externals seem to work pretty well. On our last RV the exhaust came out right in front of the duals and they always ran warmer than the others because of it. They seem pretty accurate.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I would think that you would be correct, but in actuality the externals seem to work pretty well. On our last RV the exhaust came out right in front of the duals and they always ran warmer than the others because of it. They seem pretty accurate.
I see the same thing with my toad. The right front tire runs 10* warmer. Guess where my RV exhaust is. LOL
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I actually had bought internal sensors for my Winnebago but after I saw them and they tried to install them on my inner duals I was not confident about them. I opted to go to the pass through models.

Having seen the internals and also owning a CRV I would be concerned about stem length. The CRV stems are pretty short but that works fine with the externals. I don't think it will be easy to scrub curbs with the way they are.
I had a caliper lock up slightly on my van. TST picked up that temp increase. I wish the system had an external temp sensor so you could program the system to alarm if the sensor increase 30deg (for example) over outside temp.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote