Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #1

TV and lap tap on the same electrical line......

Hello everyone:
I have a small 5th W,so I use the 30 power.Although on different outlets(but on the same line)when I have the lap top and the TV
running at the same time,the computer is disconected.Can someone explain WHY?......Yes I could use another outlet while using the computer......Is there something wrong with the electrical line ,do you beleive? Many thanks for your input!!!!!.araucano.
araucano is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Verify the loss of power using a night light. Sometimes computer power supplies are input voltage sensitive and give a wrong indication. A night light is always a true indicator of power.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:42 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, I use assorted laptops on various outlets here in the Motor Home, currently it's on a different one from the TV (shared with the Fridge) but in other rooms I share with the TV. Never had a problem (Well one of them does but it's not that kind of problem)

Oh, one of the more or less fun things.. I have a program on the compuer (DVArcive) that lets the Computer connect to the computers that are dedicated DVR's here in the motor home (ReplayTV units) which is how we watch TV (later), The computer can both play Replay recorded shows, download them and serve them back up to the replays so I can watch them on the larger TV screen.. NO PROBLEM. I can even "import" (though not with this compter) other videos into the replay-TV format so DVA can serve them up .. And the computer that does that is plugged into the same outlet as the TV, it is not, however, a laptop. (Simply the only one I installed the conversion software on)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Since its a laptop, its battery powered, so does it shut off when on battery power ? It should not. Try using an extension cord and hook TV and laptop up to another outlet to see if its same problem. Then you'd know it is not the original outlet.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I agree, I use assorted laptops on various outlets here in the Motor Home, currently it's on a different one from the TV (shared with the Fridge) but in other rooms I share with the TV. Never had a problem (Well one of them does but it's not that kind of problem)

Oh, one of the more or less fun things.. I have a program on the compuer (DVArcive) that lets the Computer connect to the computers that are dedicated DVR's here in the motor home (ReplayTV units) which is how we watch TV (later), The computer can both play Replay recorded shows, download them and serve them back up to the replays so I can watch them on the larger TV screen.. NO PROBLEM. I can even "import" (though not with this compter) other videos into the replay-TV format so DVA can serve them up .. And the computer that does that is plugged into the same outlet as the TV, it is not, however, a laptop. (Simply the only one I installed the conversion software on)
I believe this is the website you are referring to correct? DVArchive - Networked ReplayTV for your PC
Old 01-21-2012, 08:59 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, that is the software I run on my laptops.

A thought came to me today.. The O/P complained that turning on the TV killed the laptop (one of mine has a dead battery)

check for a screw loose... I'm serious. A screw loose.

Shortly after I got this brand new rig and removed the sticker from the window...... The Air conditioners acted up, Sometimes one would work, Sometimes the other, Some times both and at least once neither.

First thing I checked, when I started checking, was the screws in the main 120 volt power distribution box (Breaker box) after tightening one of them over 2 turns, and several others.. Well, i've had one A/C problem since (in six years) and that was not 120v Related.

Also check down-line connections, May just be a bad connection, the wiring in RV's is not what I'd call "The best" by a long shot. (Save for a few outlets I added to this rig, they are way better, but then they are 20 or 30 amp too)
Old 01-21-2012, 09:39 AM   #7

Shouldn't be a problem.
What does the laptop do when you turn on the TV??
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical