Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
Thanks, Marc. Does the Traveller dish stay up when driving, or does it collapse to drive and then you need to set it up each time you stop? Does it automatically find the satellites or do you need to manually aim it? basically, what's involved in getting it ready to watch TV with it once you stop for the day?
The Travler or RFMogul fold for travel. Both are push button automatic. Both have the same problem. If you park in trees frequently, both will be useless. Had no end of grief with Winegard Travlers, so I would recomend avoiding them like the plague. Had Travler on the roof of my fiver for over 10 years, repaired three times replaced once. In actuality we were able to use it maybe 10 times. We camped in the woods more often than not. So we got way more use out of our ground based dish/tripod setup than anything. Cost wise for us it was a huge mistake and an even bigger waste of money. Each time I had to send it to Winegard cost me over 500 dollars in shipping and repairs. The RFMogul may be a bit more expensive up front but lit can be repaired right on your roof. Thus saving a lot of money. Do a search across the RV forums for Winegard Travler issues and you will find a lot of posts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2019, 04:07 PM   #16

Quote:
I have a house full of Directv, and we love it. I'd prefer to go Directv if possible, the only reason I was going Dish was for the in motion and for the HD. If I go with a non motion, I can get HD with Directv, right?
DirecTV isn't really a good option anymore. They're moving away from RV-friendly dishes as they discontinue SD/MPEG2 channels from their 101ºW satellite. Only the Winegard Trav'ler and DirecTV's Slimline dish can receive all of your channels from 99, 101 and 103ºW. Neither of those is an in-motion dish.
Old 12-20-2019, 04:15 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks, Marc. Does the Traveller dish stay up when driving, or does it collapse to drive and then you need to set it up each time you stop? Does it automatically find the satellites or do you need to manually aim it? basically, what's involved in getting it ready to watch TV with it once you stop for the day?
The Travlr collapses for travel. When you arrive at your destination you press one button and it automatically raises and aims itself. Within 5 or 10 minutes it is locked onto the satellites and you are watching TV. The RF Mogul is similar, and some say it is a bit faster to lock onto the satellites.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
DirecTV isn't really a good option anymore. They're moving away from RV-friendly dishes as they discontinue SD/MPEG2 channels from their 101ºW satellite. Only the Winegard Trav'ler and DirecTV's Slimline dish can receive all of your channels from 99, 101 and 103ºW. Neither of those is an in-motion dish.
Looking more and more like I'll have to go to a stationary dish. That being said, all things being equal I would prefer Directv over Dish due to my familiarity and the ability to simply add another tTV to my existing account (at least I believe this to be the case). So what's confusing to me is this: If I use the Traveller, can I definitely get HD Directv? What limits are there,if any, of the channels I can subscribe to? Same question with the RFMogul? Also, now that I know they fold for transport and erect for use, I assume all of that is done electrically from within the coach?
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:42 PM   #19

Either open faced dish will get you all clannels you subscribe to except locals once you go outside the 150 mile radius. As long as your within the 150 mile radius of home you still get locals too.
What receiver do you have at home? If you have a Genie and Minis, simply take the genie, video bridge and mini for each TV juat like at home. It takes a bit in the RV to setup first time, then its a snap.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:44 PM   #20

I do not think with Direct you can just add one more tv to your account. My understanding is that they treat the RV as an entirely new stand alone account with stand alone costs.
marsingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Looking more and more like I'll have to go to a stationary dish. That being said, all things being equal I would prefer Directv over Dish due to my familiarity and the ability to simply add another tTV to my existing account (at least I believe this to be the case). So what's confusing to me is this: If I use the Traveller, can I definitely get HD Directv? What limits are there,if any, of the channels I can subscribe to? Same question with the RFMogul? Also, now that I know they fold for transport and erect for use, I assume all of that is done electrically from within the coach?
What are the model numbers of your home DirecTV boxes?
Most RV'ers just take one of their home boxes when they travel.

And yes, the HD Trav'ler dish will receive all of DirecTV's HD channels:
https://winegard.com/products/satell...ine-hd-travler
Old 12-21-2019, 06:59 AM   #22

I called Directv last night for info. I was transferred 6-7 times. No one was speaking to me from the USA, as a result I had terrible connections. No one knew what I was talking about. I was disconnected multiple times. I finally gave up and hung up. I'll try again another day. I just ran out of patience.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #23

Quote:
I called Directv last night for info. I was transferred 6-7 times. No one was speaking to me from the USA, as a result I had terrible connections. No one knew what I was talking about. I was disconnected multiple times. I finally gave up and hung up. I'll try again another day. I just ran out of patience.
It's highly unlikely you'll find anyone at AT&T/DirecTV that will help you with this.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I believe most of us use Dish for many reasons, but Direct may be OK.

Tip, add a DVR receiver to your home account instead of buying one of those pay per use boxes. I just pay a flat $10 per month extra for the DVR. vs having a non recording box. It was a turn key install including needed HDMI cables and combiners. Dish will send an installer out to hook it up to your sat dish. (no charge) Most have never done a RV install, so be sure to be there in case they need an extra hand. Also measure the depth of your cabinet ahead of time to make sure the DVR you order fits. They have different model that are different sizes.

We have ours programmed to record all the shows we watch at home, and can then watch them when we want.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:36 PM   #25

Our current coach came with an in motion system. It worked if you were on a freeway with no trees or overpasses, but in normal situations it was very frustrating to watch anything with all of the signal drops. Last winter I upgraded both the sat and OTA antennas as well as both TV's, blue ray's and surround sound system for the main living area. We use Dish at home so it was the natural choice. Components I used: Trav'ler for sat, King OTA, Dish receivers - 211's for both TV's, Samsung blue ray's, Yamaha surround sound and Samsung TV's. I did run all new coaxial cables (best quality you can buy) and only used very high quality HDMI cables also. I had to rework and build some of the cabinets to accept the new equipment. After a spring, summer and fall of various trips we are very happy with the installation and have had no problems to date.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhammond1980 View Post
Our current coach came with an in motion system. It worked if you were on a freeway with no trees or overpasses, but in normal situations it was very frustrating to watch anything with all of the signal drops. Last winter I upgraded both the sat and OTA antennas as well as both TV's, blue ray's and surround sound system for the main living area. We use Dish at home so it was the natural choice. Components I used: Trav'ler for sat, King OTA, Dish receivers - 211's for both TV's, Samsung blue ray's, Yamaha surround sound and Samsung TV's. I did run all new coaxial cables (best quality you can buy) and only used very high quality HDMI cables also. I had to rework and build some of the cabinets to accept the new equipment. After a spring, summer and fall of various trips we are very happy with the installation and have had no problems to date.
Sounds exactly like what I'm leaning toward. Only question now is Directv or Dish. I have Directv at home, though it seems Dish is more suited to a RV.
Old 12-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post
It's highly unlikely you'll find anyone at AT&T/DirecTV that will help you with this.
So far, no joy. You hit it right on the nose. I'm on the verge of cancelling Directv for the house and getting Dish there too.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #28

Again! What box do you have at home? Genie HR44 of HR54 can go with you easily enough. Direct needs to know nothing. Your only issue will be once you go beyong the 150 mile spot beam. You will loose local stations. Other than that you will have everything you have at home..
DW wont let me switch to Dish. There are channels on Direct that Dish or local cable provider dont offer, so Im stuck.

Tags
antenna